Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

I should hope so.

Was there much of a cost difference

Tiddly Wink ones were approx £2 a pop*** but unholed....they shattered when trying to hole them.

Welsh Blues £2.50 a time but perfect and ready holed.

***for training purposes...the slates were 24x12’s.

Tiddly Wink ones were approx £2 a pop*** but unholed....they shattered when trying to hole them.

Welsh Blues £2.50 a time but perfect and ready holed.

***for training purposes...the slates were 24x12’s.

I take it that £2 was a landed cost, if it was EXW then they would have cost a lot more by the time they got here I would have thought

• Site Supporter

Unfortunately that’s life’s uncertainty’s and whether in or out of the EU that would still be the case. For example One consequence of brexit uncertainty is sterling weakness I’m sure that’s helping your exports. Funny you don’t mention that. No doubt your a remainer.

I voted leave

Our Irish customers buy off us go numerous reasons, not least because we speak the same language, we’re close geographically, British quality...I could go on.

They could source cheaper right now, but there wouldn’t be a huge saving. Unfortunately, the ace new world of Brexit is set to make the commercial decision unavoidably in favour of EU suppliers.

They are actually very upset at the prospect but in the end money talks.

Much of the issue is that the damage has already been done.

I voted leave

Our Irish customers buy off us go numerous reasons, not least because we speak the same language, we’re close geographically, British quality...I could go on.

They could source cheaper right now, but there wouldn’t be a huge saving. Unfortunately, the ace new world of Brexit is set to make the commercial decision unavoidably in favour of EU suppliers.

What sound commercial reasoning are these buyers making on the back of the ace new world of brexit?

A large project in Preston (street regeneration etc) was completed using stone from China. (In fairness sourced from a Bolton company).

Beggars belief that we can import heavy stuff like this half way around the globe, but ignore our own. Shocking.

Moreover when the working conditions of those extracting it are looked at.

Like playing football on a one in three slope. Playing field needs levelling.

The stone flags around topp way multi storey and other areas of the town centre are all brought in from China.

Stone flags sourced from near by were up to 4 times as expensive.

Councillors originally wanted it all to be locally sourced materials, once they saw the price difference there was only one winner for supplying the stone.

Dunno if its still the case.

All the concrete stuff comes from UK manufacturers but the natural stone is much cheaper shipped in from China

• Site Supporter

What sound commercial reasoning are these buyers making on the back of the ace new world of brexit?

The sound commercial reasoning is that they have been given no evidence that come B-Day, they will be able to continue “as normal”.

The very essence of Brexit is that we need a separate deal, a deal that has not even begun serious negotiation yet.

You’re not thick Mounts, you know companies have to plan months and years ahead if they are to grow and succeed. The market we are in is growing massively in Ireland so this could not have happened at a worse time.

Our customers are having to price up projects that do not begin until mid/late next year. They simply cannot trust that our ability to supply at dependable prices and quantities will exist.

What they are doing is making sure they can fulfill projects. They are not eliminating us altogether- they’re not stupid - but they are telling us we are second, third or fourth choice.

These are deals we would otherwise have definitely have got the orders for. Now, fuck knows.

These negotiations had better go well or a LOT of companies will go pop.

so 25 % more expensive, thats a lot on a big job

I tried them once but would never use them again, they were garbage. Thankfully it was only a small job.

More breakage amongst them hence the saving was neglible.

On big jobs, I’d use only Welsh slates.

I take it that £2 was a landed cost, if it was EXW then they would have cost a lot more by the time they got here I would have thought

Yes, it was a loaded cost. Never used them since and never been asked to use them since or to tender for a contract where they’ve specified.

Obvious reason for that.

Same as Spider, we've lost out on some stuff with Mil/Aero customers due to them not knowing what will happen. These are projects that are up to 5 years in R&D and then a projected life of a further 5 to 10 years.

The R&D Centre was relocated to France about 6 months ago as the end customer (Thales) couldn't live with the uncertainty especially as they have a multi national workforce that has to travel between their various locations in UK, France and Italy. France are now getting all the R&D that has historically been here in the UK. Most of the staff have relocated and the office will be closed down next year.

If a guarantee that the staff and goods could move freely, then this wouldn't have happened. Sadly, the customer can't wait around and start a project on a "hope" that everything will be OK

On a personal note, this customer cancelling working with us has cost me about £3K in commission (what I would have earned over the 5 year development period)

Edited by Sweep

• Site Supporter

To be honest, I was open minded about it all. My hunch was that it was brave but wpkprobably be of benefit.

My hunch was just that - a hunch.

The fact is that it’s affecting me personally in a negative way so I’m changing my mind and calling it out as a fucking rotten idea.

I voted for Blair. A mistake.

If it all works out ok then great.

But the actual stone cold truth is that we are guaranteed short term pain. Not even Mounts would argue against that.

The problem with short term pain is that it can have long term effects.

Frankly, it can fuck off now. And that’s an opinion based on absolute facts.

I voted leave

I have every sympathy and it is going to affect many businesses similarly. Brexit will wipe between £40-80 billion off our GDP and take 20 years for the economy to fully recover.

• Members

I agree with your post !! (Maybe we both need to check it again)

The bit that you have ignored is my point that when May proposed a deal the pro Brexit elements in her own party dismissed it.

As far as we know though that deal is the basis of our negotiations which is why Boris resigned. So why do we think the deal proposed by the EU will be better or more acceptable than that proposed by May ?

We can not let the ability to do a deal be compromised by the extremes of either side. There is massive middle ground of people like me ( I have actually have a massive middle ground of my own) who do not want another vote, accept we are leaving, but do not think the hardest of hard brexits is the only option.

I didn't purposely ignore it sir. I switch off as soon as I see reference to the so called Chequers plan as it is dead in the water and so it should be. Half in. half out is not an option.

• Members

These negotiations had better go well or a LOT of companies will go pop.

Hard fact of life. There will be casualties - inevitable. There will be bonuses too although there will be a time lag before the full benefit is felt.

All I can say is tough shit if you are a casualty.

When the cotton trade faltered, Bolton reinvented itself as a centre of engineering excellence. Those who suffer because of Brexit will have to be part of a reinvention of some sort. EIther that or curl up and die. It's a harsh world.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Hard fact of life. There will be casualties - inevitable. There will be bonuses too although there will be a time lag before the full benefit is felt.

When the cotton trade faltered, Bolton reinvented itself as a centre of engineering excellence. Those who suffer because of Brexit will have to be part of a reinvention of some sort. EIther that or curl up and die. It's a harsh world.

We’ve been here before, but I honestly think you give our people way too much credit.

Every fucker will just sit in the pub and moan they’re skint like they did during the last economic crisis.

I didn't purposely ignore it sir. I switch off as soon as I see reference to the so called Chequers plan as it is dead in the water and so it should be. Half in. half out is not an option.

Ok but do you think that the EU are going to offer a better deal than the one May wanted ? Surely any deal they offer will be at least ‘half in ‘

• Members

Ok but do you think that the EU are going to offer a better deal than the one May wanted ? Surely any deal they offer will be at least ‘half in ‘

I don't think anything of the sort. I was merely commenting that their move to come up with some sort of offer augurs well for a deal eventually being struck which most of us always thought it would.

• Site Supporter

Tough Shit?

Just to be clear, you're saying that if you were to lose your job and your standard of living hit the skids for a few years, you'd be ok with it because you could wave your blue passport in the air and tell everyone to quit whining because it'll all be ok in the long term and think about the Spitfires we can build in 2031?

Or, is it easier to say that because you're simply casting your dewy-eyed opinion on something you didn't even fucking vote for, from 20,000 miles away, knowing it won't affect you

Frankly, that's the kind of smug, arrogant diatribe I'd expect from someone much wankier. I'm sure all your pensions and investments are UK based, being the Lion-Hearted patriot you are. If so, I hope they're all worth the sum total of fuck all come Brexit Day.

Also, you've been in the sun too long. If you think Bolton is a centre of engineering excellence you've been drinking moonshine distilled from Dingo piss or something. Hick Hargreaves upped and fucking left many years ago and is now a supermarket. 

• Site Supporter

Spider, Bolty really does not give a shit. He is an areshole.

I'm not convinced he is, I just think he's digging his heels in in case he shows any weakness.

His "Ladder Up Jack" approach is fucking pathetic though. It certainly sits at odds with his opinion that we're all in it together. Except when we're not.

It's difficult to take any "patriot" seriously when they've given up the fight at home.

In World War 1, they shot such "patriots" at dawn for desertion.

I’ve said it before, but our people would rather go to a food bank and spend their benefit on ale than get a job.

This roll up your sleeves stuff is poppycock.

We’ve created a nation of job shy fuckwits. That’s why half of Syria want to seek asylum here and half of Poland can find unskilled work here.

I’ve said it before, but our people would rather go to a food bank and spend their benefit on ale than get a job.

This roll up your sleeves stuff is poppycock.

We’ve created a nation of job shy fuckwits. That’s why half of Syria want to seek asylum here and half of Poland can find unskilled work here.

Bit of hyperbole there. We've certainly left some communities in some areas of the country to rot and it has resulted in a cycle of joblessness that passes through generations.

But it is not like that for the vast majority of people. 

I'm not convinced he is, I just think he's digging his heels in in case he shows any weakness.

His "Ladder Up Jack" approach is fucking pathetic though. It certainly sits at odds with his opinion that we're all in it together. Except when we're not.

It's difficult to take any "patriot" seriously when they've given up the fight at home.

In World War 1, they shot such "patriots" at dawn for desertion.

You are giving him too much credit.

His words in direct response to your post were 'tough shit'.

The attitude of hard-line brexiteers is selfish to the point of cutting your nose off to spite your face. They will get their blue passports (made in France) and you and others will be collateral damage.

Look away now lefties.......certain folk on here will be bleating...

Hey..what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.,,,,,,.

Well done to my mate for certain things.....,D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6111795/Sadiq-Khan-bikini-clad-blimp-flown-London-protest-Trump-Baby.html

Seems like Khan took it all in good humour.

• Site Supporter

You are giving him too much credit.

His words in direct response to your post were 'tough shit'.

The attitude of hard-line brexiteers is selfish to the point of cutting your nose off to spite your face. They will get their blue passports (made in France) and you and others will be collateral damage.

It's this notion that Brexit will cure all the ills they perceive. Like it's some magic wand that will be waved and we'll be back to men in overalls building machines having worked out the finer details with a pencil and some plucky British spirit.

We'll frighten all the brown people away and be left with ruddy-cheeked Police Constables only having to worry about kids scrumping apples and the occasional village murderer.

Bolty fucked off years ago because he wanted a better life. Fair fucks to him, I'd do the same. What I wouldn't do is then sit wrapped in a Union Jack for the rest of my life, riding around on an Italian scooter telling everyone that Britain can be Great again if we just tell the rest of the world to fuck off and re-install the Raj into the sub continent or something.

Mounts is just counting the days til he can piss off to his duplex in Torremelinos, from where he can sing songs with the rest of the ex pats about how wonderful Britain is just as long as you don't have to live there.

Have double standards by all means, just don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Edited by Spider