Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

29 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Some berk has pushed a leaflet through my letterbox for a people's vote march on the 23rd. Park Lane to Westminster.

Coach from Crewe at 6.30am costing £25 (£10 discount for students).

On mature reflection I am not going for very many reasons.

You should consider it, take a Union Jack and a faux blue passport to wave every 5 minutes. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You should consider it, take a Union Jack and a faux blue passport to wave every 5 minutes. 

£25. Kinell, I'd be surprised they'd pay that, given it's all about to go tits up.

Remember, that'll be a tea bag, 500g of sugar, and a pint of milk from cheesemart.

11 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I think there will be some tweaks to arbitration and some changes to legal advice based on wordplay more than anything else. But if ERG reject it they risk no Brexit or a long delay. I think rejecting it could bring government down and then who knows? I sense they don’t fancy rolling dice again. We will see tomorrow.

If it wasn't of such pivitol importance for our nation's future prosperity it would make for good TV but our politicians are playing foot loose to suit their own selfish interests. Heads will roll after all this is over

10 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I think there will be some tweaks to arbitration and some changes to legal advice based on wordplay more than anything else. But if ERG reject it they risk no Brexit or a long delay. I think rejecting it could bring government down and then who knows? I sense they don’t fancy rolling dice again. We will see tomorrow.

For the ERG a General Election is the best solution, they would try and elect a true Brexiteer, the Conservative party would become the Leave party, Labour would implode and become a Remain party and the ‘Tigs’ would be unelected, simples

3 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

For the ERG a General Election is the best solution, they would try and elect a true Brexiteer, the Conservative party would become the Leave party, Labour would implode and become a Remain party and the ‘Tigs’ would be unelected, simples

No. If government brought down by no confidence vote then Tory party face an election with no leader and someone like Liddington fronting up their campaign. There would be no time for a leadership contest given election would need to be called 14 days later. So I think the ERG really do not want to push that particular button.

2 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

That maybe the only way to break the political paralysis but i would not be so sure the Conservatives would walk it. We could be quite easily in another hung parliament

8 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

If it wasn't of such pivitol importance for our nation's future prosperity it would make for good TV but our politicians are playing foot loose to suit their own selfish interests. Heads will roll after all this is over

You are right about their interests, as many are ignoring the votes of their constituents

5 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

That maybe the only way to break the political paralysis but i would not be so sure the Conservatives would walk it. We could be quite easily in another hung parliament

The presence of a wedge of 30+ SNP, plus the NI DUP/SF factions, mean that a hung parliament is a very significant possibility in any GE.

8 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

I get your point but this is not as simple as black and white. There is so much more to it than that and that's why we have checks and balances in our political system 

To get the "correct" outcome, against democracy handed to the people by Parliament and backed in manifestos?

28 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

No. If government brought down by no confidence vote then Tory party face an election with no leader and someone like Liddington fronting up their campaign. There would be no time for a leadership contest given election would need to be called 14 days later. So I think the ERG really do not want to push that particular button.

Why Lidington? And why 14 days, it is the Nuclear button but I don’t doubt the majority of the ERG would be prepared to use it

4 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

Why Lidington? And why 14 days, it is the Nuclear button but I don’t doubt the majority of the ERG would be prepared to use it

If the government loses a confidence vote it has 14 days to try and win a confidence vote. If it cannot then a GE is called. There isn’t time to hold a leadership contest within the Tory party so assuming May does not fight in that scenario then deputy is Liddington....

ERG want an election after a leadership contest, they need May to step down or wait till end of this year when they can try and force her to again.

5 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

To get the "correct" outcome, against democracy handed to the people by Parliament and backed in manifestos?

As i have said on many occasions the referendum campaign was not focussed on the No Deal implications. I get that it was always a possibility but i can't recollect a sustained programme of billboard and side of bus campaigns telling the electorate that we will more than likely suffer the economic consequences as a result of No Deal. The emphasis was always on the benefits of being "free from the shackles" of the EU and that it was the "easiest thing in the world" to sign lucrative trade deals. Well we all know what a pack of lies that has transpired to be. I guess we will only find out if voters felt they were hoodwinked by having a second referendum but that is unlikely now

• Members
20 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

This might get through.

Then we can get on with our lives

........and dip our respective lids to Mounts who has predicted that they'll fudge a last minute deal all along because it is in both parties best interests to.

32 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

This might get through.

Then we can get on with our lives

Let’s hope so. It’s time for MPs to back it. As much as the negotiations have been a disaster from start to finish - this is what we’ve got. Rejecting this deal leaves total uncertainty with nobody sure to get what they want.

Business needs this putting to bed so I hope all MPs back it. It’s well short of what the ERG want but surely they have to realise the need to compromise? Corbyn won’t decide for another 3 months so no hope there though some Labour backbenchers could come round.

Fingers crossed this deal gets passed and then we can get on with the really difficult job of getting that free trade that we all want and making no payments to the EU in return. I just hope that despite the fact the ECJ still holds the final jurisdiction over disputes that we never have to get there and the common rulebook doesn't stop us agreeing those desperately needed and lucrative trade deals. It's going to be an interesting two years but please let's not get to this cliff edge point again so that we have to extend the transition period. 

It's all on Mr Cox QC now

I think May should offer to resign immediately after 29th March if the deal were to pass today. I think that would ensure her party backs it knowing that they can have a leadership contest and choose a new person for the real negotiations that will start after that. 

Its probably the only sure fire way of getting this through - it has a chance as it is but surely May going will need to happen anyway and that will nudge this over the line for sure.

Edited by bwfcfan5

• Members
9 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Fingers crossed this deal gets passed and then we can get on with the really difficult job of getting that free trade that we all want and making no payments to the EU in return. I just hope that despite the fact the ECJ still holds the final jurisdiction over disputes that we never have to get there and the common rulebook doesn't stop us agreeing those desperately needed and lucrative trade deals. It's going to be an interesting two years but please let's not get to this cliff edge point again so that we have to extend the transition period. 

Actually, it is all on belligerent fuckers in Parliament - many of whom want to defy the result of the referendum. I would like to think it will get through so we, and the country, can get on with discussing other stuff and drop the toxic Brexit debate until such time as scheming Europhiles try to get us back in.

5 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Actually, it is all on belligerent fuckers in Parliament - many of whom want to defy the result of the referendum. I would like to think it will get through so we, and the country, can get on with discussing other stuff and drop the toxic Brexit debate until such time as scheming Europhiles try to get us back in.

Interesting how in the real world remainers like me and ST and Brexiteers like Bolty all just want this deal through. Perhaps that is  somewhat instructional for MPs?

18 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Probably all with the DUP?