Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yes (certainly largely), JRM suggested as much earlier.

I think anyone expecting Cox to publish a document saying we are completely free to escape the backstop, was expecting too much.

Such complex legal dealings are always subject to interpretation, and it would be virtually impossible for him to categorically say one way or another.

As confirmed by Bob Neil's question and Cox's answer.

• Site Supporter

I've got to the point where I'm thinking, even if they invited the Labour Party to come up with an acceptable deal, if May was delivering it to parliament, the Opposition would vote against it. It makes for pretty shit governance if it doesn't matter what one side wants, the others won't. 

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I've got to the point where I'm thinking, even if they invited the Labour Party to come up with an acceptable deal, if May was delivering it to parliament, the Opposition would vote against it. It makes for pretty shit governance if it doesn't matter what one side wants, the others won't. 

Which wouldn’t be so bad if like the Lib Dem’s Labour we’re opposed to Brexit full stop. But Corbyn wants to deliver it. And whilst he had a credible deal that May won’t consider its too late regardless. So he should be instructing his party to back this deal to avoid no deal. But he won’t. Useless.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

100% Micky

It's not all labour MPs in fairness.

Vienna convention coming back in now. This could be the way out that would allow the erg to get on board.

27 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

ERG recommending their group not to support the deal. These people need to grow up and live in the real world.

The only real Brexit from the only real brexiteers

4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

That’s as maybe, but at least they are authentic, unlike many MPs

Authentic? Sorry but no. They can’t compromise and if they bring down this deal they only have themselves to blame. I really hope that IF they bring it down the Boles threat of working cross party on the softest Brexit possible transpires just to teach them a lesson.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

The only real Brexit from the only real brexiteers

I know we differ as to what extent we feel is necessary from this, but I'd still consider myself to be very much pro-brexit.

They (erg) didn't make the best of jobs of clarifying their position prior to the vote for me. Was difficult in fairness with a leave pm.

As the vote was an in/out job, perhaps a secondary question on the paper, with either a clean break/agreed deal option, within the leave vote, would have given clarity as to the way forward.

Would have helped suppress the screechers too.

Just now, Winchester White said:

Sounds like this will be the end of May. I can only see this ending in another referendum or general election.

There’s a great article somewhere which shows that it is too late to do anything but leave on 29 March

Just now, boltondiver said:

There’s a great article somewhere which shows that it is too late to do anything but leave on 29 March

Which isn’t true. I can see an extension to facilitate a GE. Not sure what else the EU would approve a delay for now. 

8 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Which isn’t true. I can see an extension to facilitate a GE. Not sure what else the EU would approve a delay for now. 

I just said there’s a great article.

I’ll see if I can find it.

I’m supposed to be working........

I hope it is true, of course.

15 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

If if we get an extension for a GE, I'm not sure what that does apart from kick it down the road for a couple more years - and we have a GE....is anybody confident that any party will get a majority? - I'm not, which will then bring us back to this same stalemate.

If we do get an extension, then the whole Brexit thing is pretty much dead I reckon

16 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Be interesting to see what a GE would throw up

What on earth would this bunch of liars put in their manifesto?