Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 minute ago, Salford Trotter said:

It will be tight for sure and the DUP will pay for their intransigence. The irony of this whole mess is that we will get a trade deal of sorts with the EU so the backstop will not be required. That deal is now more likely to be a soft Brexit and no one will get what they want. 

We will get a trade deal? In less than two years? Given we can’t negotiate the WA which is far simpler than the FTA I’d suggest that’s optimistic. 

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You didn't see Steve Baker in the last hour then.

He stood up and categorically told her not to bother, as the erg would never vote for it.

A bluff maybe, but I don't think so. She'll need bigger changes- they're not having the backstop.

I didn't to be fair but i did see another ERG member say he saw this coming and voted for May's deal yesterday so the cracks are clearly evident. 

Just now, boltondiver said:

Are we still at leaving with No Deal/WTO or Theresa's shit deal on 29 March?

Looks like if government’s motion passes tomorrow and EU agree new leave date will be 30th June. IF a deal passes by 20th March. If no deal passes then either a longer extension or who knows?

Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

Looks like if government’s motion passes tomorrow and EU agree new leave date will be 30th June. IF a deal passes by 20th March. If no deal passes then either a longer extension or who knows?

So, at the moment, we still at leaving with No Deal/WTO or Theresa's shit deal on 29 March?

Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

We will get a trade deal? In less than two years? Given we can’t negotiate the WA which is far simpler than the FTA I’d suggest that’s optimistic. 

In my opinion lessons have been learned with the WA deal debacle and which ever party leads those negotiations they will not leave this to the last minute knowing that they can't leave without a deal, that threat has now gone. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

So, at the moment, we still at leaving with No Deal/WTO or Theresa's shit deal on 29 March?

Just got quite heated. JRM sought clarification that the motions can't overturn the law.

This was confirmed, but the speaker also suggested MPs know what to do about it.

One way or another, they're hell bent on not going that way.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

In my opinion lessons have been learned with the WA deal debacle and which ever party leads those negotiations they will not leave this to the last minute knowing that they can't leave without a deal, that threat has now gone. 

It hasn't. Yet.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It hasn't. Yet.

Effectively it has but technically i agree it hasn't just yet. If her deal gets rejected a 3rd time then the remainers will move to put the no to 'No Deal' option into statute then the ERG will have lost. I think they would rather stay in than vote for May's deal and i have some sympathy with that position. May's deal is awful for the the UK but it will be the only way to leave the EU

• Site Supporter

Don't worry Gammon lads, you'll still get your 29th of March dive over the cliff edge.

Then you can all wank each other off and celebrate the decimation of virtually every British industry, and the collapse of the NHS, before our real footing in the world is realised and the "Empire" delusions finally evaporate. These things have happened throughout history, it's just a shame we have to live through it this time.

2 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Whats the difference between a 'not legally binding, only advisory' vote that the MPS can ignore and work against, and a 'not legally binding, only advsiory' vote;' that they cant ?

Asking for a friend.

The second one is led and controlled by the MPs the first one wasn't

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Don't worry Gammon lads, you'll still get your 29th of March dive over the cliff edge.

Then you can all wank each other off and celebrate the decimation of virtually every British industry, and the collapse of the NHS, before our real footing in the world is realised and the "Empire" delusions finally evaporate. These things have happened throughout history, it's just a shame we have to live through it this time.

You’re not very proud to be British are you?

1 minute ago, Salford Trotter said:

Effectively it has but technically i agree it hasn't just yet. If her deal gets rejected a 3rd time then the remainers will move to put the no to 'No Deal' option into statute then the ERG will have lost. I think they would rather stay in than vote for May's deal and i have some sympathy with that position. May's deal is awful for the the UK but it will be the only way to leave the EU

The majority, in Parliament, agree that TM’s deal is a bad deal, so if the true Brexiteers in the ERG don’t vote for it in WA111, her deal is definitely dead

So the EU will only agree an article 50 delay if the UK Parliament vote for WHAT?

The only deal on the table will have been rejected 3 times

What  happens next?

7 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

The majority, in Parliament, agree that TM’s deal is a bad deal, so if the true Brexiteers in the ERG don’t vote for it in WA111, her deal is definitely dead

So the EU will only agree an article 50 delay if the UK Parliament vote for WHAT?

What  happens next?

I would suggest that the votes tonight will be ratified in law if May's is rejected a 3rd time so No Deal comes off the table. We then go for a long extension which will probably mean that parliament remains paralysed and A50 gets revoked just to break the deadlock. Or possibly a GE but there is no guarantee there will be a majority for any one party failing that a second referendum. 

Edited by Salford Trotter

6 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

What  happens next?

The amsing thing, for me, is that we might be dependent on the EU to say "non" to any extension. Ironic.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

What  happens next?

Whether it's a bad deal or not, a large number of MPs seemingly won't vote for anything. Unprecedented this.

4 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

I would suggest that the votes tonight will be ratified in law if May's is rejected a 3rd time so No Deal comes off the table and we go for a long extension which will probably mean that parliament remains paralysed and A50 gets revoked just to break the deadlock or possibly a GE but there is no guarantee there will be a majority for any one party failing that a second referendum. 

A second referendum is pointless. It has been shown that the result is meaningless. It is almost laughable to even suggest one.

1. Vote will be to extend tomorrow.

2. May will try, and fail to get WA through again next week.

3. UK will ask for extension, EU will say no.

4. UK will revoke A50.

5. GE will be called.

6. Many, many now former MP's will find incredibly well paying jobs in Brussels.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Whether it's a bad deal or not, a large number of MPs seemingly won't vote for anything. Unprecedented this.

That’s true but what happens on March 29th or the date Article 50 gets moved to, will we be IN or Out

There won’t be a majority for Labour/Corbyn deal, so the ball is back in the Remainers court

1 minute ago, ZiggyStardust said:

A second referendum is pointless. It has been shown that the result is meaningless. It is almost laughable to even suggest one.

1. Vote will be to extend tomorrow.

2. May will try, and fail to get WA through again next week.

3. UK will ask for extension, EU will say no.

4. UK will revoke A50.

5. GE will be called.

6. Many, many now former MP's will find incredibly well paying jobs in Brussels.

I don't think anything can be ruled out completely but if the EU sniff a chance that we may stay in then i can't see them rejecting an extension and Merkel said as much yesterday