Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m not confused, you need an open mind to solve a problem, some folk can think outside the box others just don’t want to find a solution. It is a clearly resolvable issue if the powers that be want to find that solution. 

You just suggested we should set up border controls in someone else's country. That's not "thinking outside the box", it's being ignorant and a bit stupid. 

Edited by Cheese

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You just suggested we should set up border controls in someone else's country. That's not "thinking outside the box", it's being ignorant and a bit stupid. 

There are US border controls in different places around the world, including ...............Ireland

Now, who is thick and ignorant?

Clue? Look in the mirror

Edited by boltondiver

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

There are US border controls in different places around the world, including ...............Ireland

Now, who is thick and ignorant?

Clue? Look in the mirror

Would you like to explain that statement in more detail, or are you happy to make a fool of yourself? 

• Site Supporter

That’s for people leaving Ireland and going to America,Pre clearance as far as I’m aware, there are no border checks by Americans for people arriving in Ireland from there? 

thats what your  plan suggests, British customs at point of entry in Dublin? 

In your plan , who would the British customs check? Just those who arriving with the intention of travelling to NI? Would they need to dclare that? 

Would also need to be the all other ports and entry points too so not sure that would be possible 

Edited by fatolive

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Hahaha! A desk at the airport where they check US travel documents before you board a flight! Fantastic! The Irish border problem is solved. 

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

You didn’t even know it was possible. That’s what’s comical. 😂

I didn't know what was possible? That you could have a desk at an airport where they check your travel documents before you get on a plane? 

11 minutes ago, fatolive said:

That’s for people leaving Ireland and going to America,Pre clearance as far as I’m aware, there are no border checks by Americans for people arriving in Ireland from there? 

thats what your  plan suggests, British customs at point of entry in Dublin? 

In your plan , who would the British customs check? Just those who arriving with the intention of travelling to NI? Would they need to dclare that? 

Would also need to be the all other ports and entry points too so not sure that would be possible 

Of course it’s possible to have uk customs at every point of entry and of course they would need to declare an intention to travel into Northern Ireland, same for imported goods if they were being delivered  to. both Ireland and Northern Ireland, but I’d doubt if many imported goods would be entering Southern Ireland in order to be delivered to Northern Ireland. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter

Special economic area status for NI would be a possible solution for the movement of goods and people ,the sea border thing, but that was kiboshed by the DUP, for reasons that make sense if you look at their stance on things, I don’t agree with them but can see why they would take that position to a point, but, it’s probably the most realistic way of avoiding the border.

its just whether avoiding the border is the priority but there is either going to be a border upsetting some or no border upsetting others 

ive mentioned it before , but What odds the next prime minister  selling the DUP down the river in that sense, gambling won’t need their support in Parliament and that’s how it is overcome . 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

That desk is customs control, so you want big dogs, search lights and barriers as well. 😂

You're right. You have solved the Irish Border problem. Have an extra desk at Dublin Airport. So what's the problem with the backstop again? 

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You're right. You have solved the Irish Border problem. Have an extra desk at Dublin Airport. So what's the problem with the backstop again? 

Don’t need one if Uk customs are present at entry points into Ireland,   nor a hard border (not that there was ever going to be one) it’s all academic any how as there will be a deal. You can rest easy and stop getting your knickers in a twist. Blue passports all round. 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Don’t need one if Uk customs are present at entry points into Ireland,   nor a hard border (not that there was ever going to be one) it’s all academic any how as there will be a deal. You can rest easy. 

Excellent. So we'll just dictate what we want, and get it. If only David Davis and Dominic Raab had thought of that when they were in negotiations.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Of course it’s possible to have uk customs at every point of every and of course they would need to declare an intention to travel into Northern Ireland, same for imported goods if they were being delivered  to. both Ireland and Northern Ireland, but I’d doubt if many imported goods would be entering Southern Ireland in order to be delivered to Northern Ireland. 

So you want British officials in Ireland at every point checking who can come into Ireland ? 

you’d be relying on people who are entitled to travel to ROI but not NI declaring that they were going to travel to NI.? 

Do you think common things getting delivered to Ireland come in separate shipments depending on whether they are going north or south? 

Dublin port has already built separate custom booths for British trucks in the event of a no deal Brexit, these trucks deliver all over Ireland, stuff for the North doesn’t get split and delivered separate to Belfast .

to be fair, at least it’s a thought, I just don’t think it’s feasible, in any shape or form 

28 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Of course it’s possible to have uk customs at every point of entry and of course they would need to declare an intention to travel into Northern Ireland, same for imported goods if they were being delivered  to. both Ireland and Northern Ireland, but I’d doubt if many imported goods would be entering Southern Ireland in order to be delivered to Northern Ireland. 

So let me get this right. To avoid checking only the people travelling into NI from ROI at a handful of checkpoints at the border, you want to have a UK border checkpoint at every single point of entry to the ROI?

And you will rely on someone's declaration alone (that they will/won't be travelling to NI) to determine if they need to be checked at that border? That's the level of sophistication that will ensure that we "take back control of our borders"?

I tell you what, there won't be many queues at Dover/Calais, as they'll all be going to Dublin and ticking the "I'm not going to NI, honest" box on their entry form.

16 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

So let me get this right. To avoid checking only the people travelling into NI from ROI at a handful of checkpoints at the border, you want to have a UK border checkpoint at every single point of entry to the ROI?

And you will rely on someone's declaration alone (that they will/won't be travelling to NI) to determine if they need to be checked at that border? That's the level of sophistication that will ensure that we "take back control of our borders"?

I tell you what, there won't be many queues at Dover/Calais, as they'll all be going to Dublin and ticking the "I'm not going to NI, honest" box on their entry form.

You really think reputable businesses  receiving goods in NI and reputable shippers and freight forwarders will be risk sending goods through Southern Ireland to  Northern Ireland and risk fines or being closed down or even prison sentences for directors breaking the law to save a couple of grand.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You really think reputable businesses  receiving goods and reputable shippers and freight forwarders will be risking sending goods through Southern Ireland to  Northern Ireland and risk fines or being closed down or even prison sentences for directors breaking the law to save a couple of grand.

Reputable businesses obviously wouldn't. "Reputable" people aren't the problem though, are they? 

Edited by Cheese

8 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Reputable businesses obviously wouldn't. "Reputable" people aren't the problem though, are they? 

Correct.

If you expect to be turned away at a new, tough UK border, just pop over to the one in Ireland where you get access to the UK by ticking a “non-NI journey” box.

Edited by Jol_BWFC

• Moderators

Mounts has missed the bit where The DUP won't accept an open border on Ireland followed by checks to get on the mainland

Like I say, he thinks the UK is England

Granted, the DUP will maybe soon have reduced power

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Aye I’d put the unreputable at about 0.001%. In other words not an issue. 

And where do you get that figure from? Have you just made it up? Would you claim that same figure for "unreputable immigrants", or are the vast majority reputable, and therefore the "unreputable" ones are not an issue?

Edited by Cheese

19 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Aye I’d put the unreputable at about 0.001%. In other words not an issue. 

So why was taking back control of our borders such an integral part of the Brexit propaganda, if it’s not an issue?

1 hour ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Mounts has lived in a parallel universe for 3 years now so anything is possible