Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

When Diver is using phrases like “declared war”, I reckon it’s time to close the thread.

Our response to Covid has been awful until the vaccine, which has been bloody marvellous so far.

The EU have had a panic and a sulk but it lasted 24 hours, so let’s not get over excited about that. They know their response has been sluggish placing orders, but my guess is that they won’t repeat that mistake.

Turning it into a flag-waving, D-Day type celebration is fairly crass since many of us like to holiday (and even own property next to) these same Europeans who may well take exception to such triumphant gloating whilst their relatives gasp their last breath.

Scotland won’t leave, nor should they. A solo England/Wales combo is unthinkable.

Edited by Spider

• Members

Viruses know no borders. The response of Boris and the UK government to the 'mistaken' or otherwise standover tactics of the EU was perfect in my opinion. "We want to help our European friends and neighbours".

The tactics of the EU mafia no real surprise nor the identities of those leaping to their defence on here. Youri trying the overly emotional heart rending approach no real surprise either.

No one has waved flags or had a "D Day type celebration" as well you know. Pointing out the hypocritical behaviour of a bureaucratic monolith is neither of those. It should simply be taken as yet another point of proof that Leave voters were correct involving zero triumphalism whatsoever.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Spider said:

When Diver is using phrases like “declared war”, I reckon it’s time to close the thread.

Our response to Covid has been awful until the vaccine, which has been bloody marvellous so far.

The EU have had a panic and a sulk but it lasted 24 hours, so let’s not get over excited about that. They know their response has been sluggish placing orders, but my guess is that they won’t repeat that mistake.

Turning it into a flag-waving, D-Day type celebration is fairly crass since many of us like to holiday (and even own property next to) these same Europeans who may well take exception to such triumphant gloating whilst their relatives gasp their last breath.

Scotland won’t leave, nor should they. A solo England/Wales combo is unthinkable.

Guten morgen Ursula.

14 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Must be mate.

Anyway, happy 1st anniversary, turn the volume up 😊 

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

RESPONSE TO J'ACCUSE! V

Viruses know no borders. The response of Boris and the UK government to the 'mistaken' or otherwise standover tactics of the EU was perfect in my opinion. "We want to help our European friends and neighbours".

The tactics of the EU mafia no real surprise nor the identities of those leaping to their defence on here. Youri trying the overly emotional heart rending approach no real surprise either.

Yeah, one tends to use phrases like 'fuck up' and 'dropped a bollock' when leaping to a defence - fwiw I have enough contempt for politicians of all hues and nations, from Shaky Handies DeFeffal Johnson to Lindy Van Der Chamberlain...

No one has waved flags or had a "D Day type celebration" as well you know. Pointing out the hypocritical behaviour of a bureaucratic monolith is neither of those. It should simply be taken as yet another point of proof that Leave voters were correct involving zero triumphalism whatsoever.

Is Miami one of the dirty dozen then? His post quoted above might not directly be related to the vaccine issue but it's slap bang in the middle of a discussion about it and about as crowy as it gets.

5 hours ago, Spider said:

Come on now, I'm sure Bolty and Mounts have loads of great mates over at their Spanish lairs; there's 'sancho' who sorts the pool and lawns at their respective complexes, 'julio' the bloke pulling their pints (bollocks to those little glasses - we're English) and changing the channel from Only Fools and Horses to Sky Sports in The Pig and Whistle and not least 'bonita' in the local Spar - she loves their flirtations as they keep Spain's economy buoyant with daily purchases of; a bag of oranges, a carton of milk, some bread and bacon and 28 cans of San Miguel (when in Rome)...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Come on now, I'm sure Bolty and Mounts have loads of great mates over at their Spanish lairs; there's 'sancho' who sorts the pool and lawns at their respective complexes, 'julio' the bloke pulling their pints (bollocks to those little glasses - we're English) and changing the channel from Only Fools and Horses to Sky Sports in The Pig and Whistle and not least 'bonita' in the local Spar - she loves their flirtations as they keep Spain's economy buoyant with daily purchases of; a bag of oranges, a carton of milk, some bread and bacon and 28 cans of San Miguel (when in Rome)...

My sister has lived in Spain for 30 years. Fluent Spanish speaker, lives very much away from tourist spots and was married to a local. Has a daughter and grandchild who are Spanish having been raised there.

Even now, the local population are generally accepting of the Brits, but would happily attest that if it wasn't for the  money they'd happily throw 99% of them in the sea. They particularly despise the "giddy brigade" and their all day breakfasts, arrogance and lager-fuelled bonhomie.

They tolerate us. Nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

My sister has lived in Spain for 30 years. Fluent Spanish speaker, lives very much away from tourist spots and was married to a local. Has a daughter and grandchild who are Spanish having been raised there.

Even now, the local population are generally accepting of the Brits, but would happily attest that if it wasn't for the  money they'd happily throw 99% of them in the sea. They particularly despise the "giddy brigade" and their all day breakfasts, arrogance and lager-fuelled bonhomie.

They tolerate us. Nothing more.

You know it really fucks me off when people decide that all Brits abroad fit into your stupid stereotype. In the real world I only know 3 people who have homes abroad all in Spain and not one fits this image. 
2 have renovated properties using local trades folk and have very good relationships with the people they have worked with and their families. Both have Spanish friends over here to stay with them, one for an extended period when their daughter came to work over here. The other has had his home over there for years. Visits numerous times a year, does not fit any of the stereotypes you put up. Plays a lot of golf and is a member of the local golf club which has about 5% ex Pat members who are fully inter grated so competitions are mixed. 
None of these are in holiday hot spots and they have all worked to build relationships with the locals.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Ani said:

You know it really fucks me off when people decide that all Brits abroad fit into your stupid stereotype. In the real world I only know 3 people who have homes abroad all in Spain and not one fits this image. 
2 have renovated properties using local trades folk and have very good relationships with the people they have worked with and their families. Both have Spanish friends over here to stay with them, one for an extended period when their daughter came to work over here. The other has had his home over there for years. Visits numerous times a year, does not fit any of the stereotypes you put up. Plays a lot of golf and is a member of the local golf club which has about 5% ex Pat members who are fully inter grated so competitions are mixed. 
None of these are in holiday hot spots and they have all worked to build relationships with the locals.

Don’t have a go at me, I’m telling you what the Mallorquins are like. I’ve no need to lie, I don’t live there.

I didn’t say it was the third reich. I just said that it’s not as idyllic as many may think.

Also, I was referring to tourists rather than permanent residents.

It may be different in Andalucia 

The grand leveller - membership of a golf club...

And not flying in Brit tradesmen - commendable.

They hate us.

Unless you're one of the global black-bloc.

Anti-capitalismo y anti-fascismo trancendos los borderers. 😀

Up the Revolution!

Burn the golf courses!

My first experience of travelling abroad at 18 I stayed in a tiny village on a beautiful beach - pretty much entirely locals and eurotrash beach bums.

Shortly after I left some rich twats and corrupt officials commenced building a golf course and resort over the road - they compulsory purchased the village - knocked it down, but didn't do owt with the land, they just didn't want it spoiling the seaview from the green of the 14th hole.

Went back to see what was going on some twenty or so years later, the little bay/beach where the locals swam and surfed/bodyboarded had been 'pacified' with a rubble breakwater, in anticipation of a marina to one side, they'd also dumped tonnes and tonnes of white sand, probably shipped from the Sahara or Fuerteventura to make one of those sterile plastic beaches. They'd fenced off access and had a security bloke patrolling the sand.

Some locals with beachfront bungalows had held out but were in their 80s...

Golf - the sport of arses.

I'm betterer than most golfers too, I'm a natural, but don't play on principal.

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

The grand leveller - membership of a golf club...

And not flying in Brit tradesmen - commendable.

They hate us.

Unless you're one of the global black-bloc.

Anti-capitalismo y anti-fascismo trancendos los borderers.

Up the Revolution.

Burn the golf courses.

My first experience of travelling abroad, I staying in a tiny village on a beautiful beach - pretty much entirely locals and eurotrash beach bums.

They built a golf course over the road and compulsory purchased the village - knocked it down, didn't do owt with the land, they just didn't want it spoiling the seaview from the green of the 14th hole.

Went back to see what was going on some twenty odd years later, the little bay/beach where the locals swam and surfed/bodyboarded had been 'pacified' with a rubble breakwater, in anticipation of a marina to one side, they'd dumped tonnes and tonnes of white sand, probably shipped from the Sahara or Fuerteventura to make one of those sterile plastic beaches.

Some locals with beachfront bungalows had held out but were in their 80s...

Golf - the sport of arses.

I'm betterer than most golfers too, I'm a natural, but don't play on principal.

Just very strange or trying to be  

Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

I just think belonging to a golf club or employing local tradesmen are very odd yardsticks for measuring 'integration'.

To me that's strange, dare I say a little Marie Antoinette-esque.

Is that all I mentioned ? 

If the points about us being tolerated etc are true it is the strongest argument yet for Brexit  

• Site Supporter

I've played here a few times and whilst it's a lovely course, the prices are eye-watering.

Membership is astronomical and you need a referral by other members, very few of whom are locals as they've mainly been priced out of it.

Picture this scenario somewhere in the UK and imagine the reaction of locals to the foreigners lording it over them.

https://www.golf-alcanada.com/en/the-golf-course/rates/

2 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

You dumbo......my link was about the 1st anniversary of Brexit....but you knew that and that it was nothing to do with vaccines......you great big drama loving EU Queen 👸 👏 

57 minutes ago, Spider said:

I've played here a few times and whilst it's a lovely course, the prices are eye-watering.

Membership is astronomical and you need a referral by other members, very few of whom are locals as they've mainly been priced out of it.

Picture this scenario somewhere in the UK and imagine the reaction of locals to the foreigners lording it over them.

https://www.golf-alcanada.com/en/the-golf-course/rates/

That is not a typical golf club as you well know at over 100euros a round it is nothing like the type of places most people play at.

Strange that lazy racial stereotypes used in this thread that all Brits are lager louts, Spaniards are barmen or pool/ garden maintenance are acceptable. 
Of course when they first went over there the people they mostly met were local tradesmen , they were having work done on their house, same happened to me when I moved to Leeds ! They do not have welcome sessions to get to know the locals every time someone moves in. Since then they have got to know others. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Ani said:

That is not a typical golf club as you well know at over 100euros a round it is nothing like the type of places most people play at.

Strange that lazy racial stereotypes used in this thread that all Brits are lager louts, Spaniards are barmen or pool/ garden maintenance are acceptable. 
Of course when they first went over there the people they mostly met were local tradesmen , they were having work done on their house, same happened to me when I moved to Leeds ! They do not have welcome sessions to get to know the locals every time someone moves in. Since then they have got to know others. 

I'm not the one making the stereotypes.

The Mallorquins are the ones who to this day use the word Giddies when referring to British tourists.

They probably have a word for the Germans as well.

We all know Spain well enough. Having family there doesn't make my knowledge superior, but it does give me a view from the other side that not all may get.

Ask a Cornish local what they think of holiday homes. It's along broadly similar lines in Mallorca.

23 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

You dumbo......my link was about the 1st anniversary of Brexit....but you knew that and that it was nothing to do with vaccines......you great big drama loving EU Queen 👸 👏 

Yeah I did, hence me mentioning it in my reply to Bolty.

If you'd bothered reading the thread properly, however I know you're more accustomed to 37 word childlike twatter musings so...

Similarly I've never been pro-EU, just anti-referenda - again if you'd bothered...

Screenshot-2021-02-01-12-43-57-1.png

I think you need some mood-stabilising and esteem-boosting UV, can none of the Covid-denying clowns you're fwends with on twitter put you in touch with a salon that's breaking lockdown? Alternatively ask your GP to prescribe some Osteocaps. 😉

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

I'm not the one making the stereotypes.

The Mallorquins are the ones who to this day use the word Giddies when referring to British tourists.

They probably have a word for the Germans as well.

We all know Spain well enough. Having family there doesn't make my knowledge superior, but it does give me a view from the other side that not all may get.

Ask a Cornish local what they think of holiday homes. It's along broadly similar lines in Mallorca.

It's guiris isn't it?

43 minutes ago, Ani said:

...that all Spaniards are barmen or pool/ garden maintenance are acceptable...

My inference was that the only interactions with locals (for the beered up Brits) will be with complex maintenance and workers in bars and supermarkets - not that all Spanish work in these types of roles, not that there's owt at all wrong with it. I'd have quite liked to tend bar as a job in my dotage - unlikely now, unless REJOIN 2035 succeeds.

The folk I am great mates with are a very broad church, ranging from doctors, dentists and architects to beach-bum barfolk. 😀

As a skinny man from Sheffield once said, everybody hates a tourist. I'd quite happily put the heads on a spike of tourists who wander around the tube with massive luggage bags at rush hour, or parties of school kids who take up the full platform whilst teacher shouts at them to get in line, or taking up a full carridge. Its not a nice thing, but we all do it. If you live in a place that attracts tourists, you general hate them unless your business is tied to them being here. Canterbury have issues every year with French schoolkids being dicks.

If a resort has built up to catering for a certain type of tourist, I guess there has to be an understanding of the issue that come from that. I have to say its not just us - I've see loads of dutch acting like knobs, but when I went to a camping place in France a couple of years ago the only agression I saw was some English bloke who wasn't getting served as they didn't accept sterling and he'd changed his money back for the ferry the next day and spent all his euros up. Guy had a family and was shouting like a loon. 

I'm shit at French, cringingly bad. But I did always try my best to order drinks at in French. They always responded in English but still cracked on as best I could. One of the staff a couple of days in said to me, don't order the lager, that's for the English and the Dutch and served me some lovely Parisian beer. Had that for the rest of the holiday and it was much cheaper as well.