Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

18 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Yeah, we don't need any more scroungers like, err... the north west of England.

Fact is, there are only 3 areas of the UK in surplus tax wise and as expected it is London, the SE and E of England. All the rest are in deficit. You know the worst? Yep, us scroungers in the NW of England.

Well, according to this anyway...

FactCheckNI-089-UK-Net-Contributors-Figu

Per capita? Wales?

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If you moved the centre of government to any region, and left it a few years, then that area would soon be in credit.

Didn't they announce part of Civil Service moving to Wolverhampton yesterday? That'll be a swing 

Anyhow when all the traders are in continental Europe or working from "second become first" homes in SW all the beardy hipsters selling overpriced coffee and nouveau cuisine will be harvesting cockles.

Unless of course they can find a market for 6 quid a pop craft ale cans.

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If you moved the centre of government to any region, and left it a few years, then that area would soon be in credit.

Not quite but you do have a point. I suppose the US and Germany could be examples against that idea.

An administrative government doesn't have to be in the same city as its financial powerhouse. There's a few more if I think about it.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Not quite but you do have a point. I suppose the US and Germany could be examples against that idea.

An administrative government doesn't have to be in the same city as its financial powerhouse. There's a few more if I think about it.

Of course, especially these days with technology. Historically though, you can see why London became what it is. Government, Lloyd's insurance, financial institutions etc, all makes sense pre phones etc.

Then add on secondary industry to that, food accommodation etc.

There certainly has been talk of shifting some functions away from the capital and it certainly makes sense.

15 hours ago, Escobarp said:

I’m certainly not trying to make out that the UK didn’t play their part in the troubles if that’s how it came across I can only say that wasn’t my intention. 

My cousin served in NI before he got kicked out the army and he tells some awful stories  

there will be various reasons why people on both sides of the border would be against it and also across generations there will be big differences.  

You are right about the generational divide, no-one under 35 would give a fuck

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Spider said:

I’d love to see anyone off here walk into a pub in Cork (when they open) and canvas opinion about a United UK & Ireland.

Now that would be a fun night.

ended up in a full on repulican pub in Dublin once 

the jukebox was playign an interesting selection

after 3 or 4 songs realised what we'd done, supped up and left

stuff like this

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Zico said:

stuff like this

If you didn’t respond by putting Oliver’s Army on by Elvis Costello, you’re a right willy wufter 

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Zico said:

stuff like this

From experience I’d say Cork is a lot more liberal than Dublin. But in all honesty, you’d be asking for trouble discussing any politics in someone else’s country. 

15 minutes ago, Zico said:

stuff like this

I’ve done the same thing in Benidorm with a loyalist bar. The karaoke was something to behold. We supped up and left 

• Site Supporter

I ended up being the entertainment at an open mic nightin a pub near Shandon Church in Cork.  I made absolutely sure nothing would be construed as political. Stuff like Danny Boy, I’ll Take You Home Again, Kathleen, and other very Irish songs I’d known from 40 years spent in a local choir. Even got invited back next week but we were going home next day. 
Murphy’s tastes even better when it’s free. (And is a much better stout than the Dublin stuff)

Edited by MickyD

• Moderators

I should also add, whilst in there, saw a kid rock up outside the pub opposite on a horse

went in, few minutes later came out with what you would assume was his dad, who was leathered

spent a good 5 minutes trying to get him on the horse

and once on, they trotted off home

2 hours ago, Spider said:

If you didn’t respond by putting Oliver’s Army on by Elvis Costello, you’re a right willy wufter 

I always took that to be anti-sectarian, perhaps leaning slightly to The Republic if owt...

Nail colours truly to the mast instead, they'd probably be all too pissed up to retaliate physically anyway...

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Zico said:

I should also add, whilst in there, saw a kid rock up outside the pub opposite on a horse

went in, few minutes later came out with what you would assume was his dad, who was leathered

spent a good 5 minutes trying to get him on the horse

and once on, they trotted off home

I’ve seen horses getting cleaned in the garage jet wash in Dublin , and tied up outside pubs like some Wild West saloon. 
there was a horse and trap race down the Naas Rd , which is similar to the East lancs rd . 

most of this will be travellers and horses are a big part of their way of life, hence the nick name “ knackers “ they are known by over there 

• Site Supporter

Other things I’ve seen in Ireland.

Stayed in a hotel in Limerick. Also using the hotel were the players of a game of marbles; big marbles; big metal marbles.

they play over the weekend and the idea of the game, wizzing these 7” iron ball bearings down the country lanes between villages. The skilled players aim their ball strategically in order that a bend in the road directs the ball around the bend and then roll as far as possible.

I love Southern Ireland me!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_road_bowling

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, MickyD said:

From experience I’d say Cork is a lot more liberal than Dublin. But in all honesty, you’d be asking for trouble discussing any politics in someone else’s country. 

I know why you may say that from the mannerisms you may have encountered in each , but Dublin and it’s inhabitants are called “ west Brits”  and “ Jack eens”  by people outside of Dublin ,and Corks nickname , which it is proud of , is the “Rebel county”but in reality both are the same as anywhere else, mix of idiots and decent folk . 

Cork says it’s the real capital and Murphy’s is better than Guinness 

Edited by fatolive

• Moderators

Speaking of pikeys, 6 caravans have rocked up on a nearby pub car park 

Local Facebook groups apparently full of reported incidents like randoms approaching folk asking to borrow their phone because of emergency 

And those that do don't get it back