Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

They judged it on what was perceived after 10 minutes; £12bn and poor results.

I read recently that it had saved thousands of lives, having tracked and traced 600,000 people.

I suppose it’s easier not to think for yourself, easier to criticise.

I’m pretty sure it has found at least one person. But cheese appears to think it hasn’t. So I’m sure he will post some evidence of this and I will very quickly remove my comment and apologise for calling that statement a lie. As would be the correct thing to do. 

7 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

They judged it on what was perceived after 10 minutes; £12bn and poor results.

I read recently that it had saved thousands of lives, having tracked and traced 600,000 people.

I suppose it’s easier not to think for yourself, easier to criticise.

You have 'read somewhere' much easier than thinking for yourself.

Has the money spent been good value ? I honestly do not know, I think probably not. I base that on the multiple reports of staff being sat around with little or nothing to do, the cost of consultants, the fact I only know 1 person who has been contacted, no one I know who had a positive test was contacted. 

Cheese was called a liar over the numbers he quoted do we now agree they are realistic? 

2 minutes ago, Ani said:

Has the money spent been good value ? I honestly do not know, I think probably not. I base that on the multiple reports of staff being sat around with little or nothing to do, the cost of consultants, the fact I only know 1 person who has been contacted, no one I know who had a positive test was contacted. 

Cheese was called a liar over the numbers he quoted do we now agree they are realistic? 

No he said nobody had been found by the system. Do you agree with statement ani yes or no? You’ve answered it above but for the record was cheese lying when he said no body had been traced by the system? 

Edited by Escobarp

7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

No he said nobody had been found by the system. Do you agree with statement ani yes or no? You’ve answered it above but for the record was cheese lying when he said no body had been traced by the system? 

If he said 'no one has been found' he was lying. 

20 minutes ago, Ani said:

3 minutes ago, Ani said:

And we have proved the numbers he quoted were correct. A fruitful mornings work. 😁

I never questioned them nor have I looked into the mathematics of it. I simply highlighted the statement that nobody had been found was a clear lie. 

Edited by Escobarp

• Site Supporter

Does anyone really honestly truthfully actually genuinely in all seriousness think £37billion is a fair price for a track and trace system?

Im not saying it hasn’t been successful, though it’s probably impossible to quantify, but 37 billion pounds for some phone callers?

Even one billion would be high, I think.

Lets do some maths.

if we’ve been paying - for one year remember - 600,000 people £30k each to work on this, that’s 18 billion accounted for.

That leaves 19 billion for equipment.

Do we know, I don’t, how many people are employed by T&T?

Im saying it doesn’t add up, but would gladly let anyone give me some numbers to check over.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

Does anyone really honestly truthfully actually genuinely in all seriousness think £37billion is a fair price for a track and trace system?

Im not saying it hasn’t been successful, though it’s probably impossible to quantify, but 37 billion pounds for some phone callers?

Even one billion would be high, I think.

Lets do some maths.

if we’ve been paying - for one year remember - 600,000 people £30k each to work on this, that’s 18 billion accounted for.

That leaves 19 billion for equipment.

Do we know, I don’t, how many people are employed by T&T?

Im saying it doesn’t add up, but would gladly let anyone give me some numbers to check over.

The amount tbf includes system development and I am pretty sure the ongoing cost for a few years of the system. But no it does not seem VFM. 

vaccine rollout and procurement seem to be genuinely world class. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Ani said:

The amount tbf includes system development and I am pretty sure the ongoing cost for a few years of the system. But no it does not seem VFM. 

vaccine rollout and procurement seem to be genuinely world class. 

Totally agree about the vaccine programme. Best of British and the rest of the world (apart from Israel) are way behind.

But T&T smells iffy.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Until we see the full break down ifs hard to judge.

Does the money not include testing as well, or is it just tracing people?

I would imaging that testing carries the greater price tag.

Just says track and trace. Doesn’t mention testing.

Weirdly, there’s hardly any info available about it on government sites.

• The title was changed to Politics
  • Moderators

I see that despite the high court ruling against the governnents attempts not to make the PPE contracts public, the info has still not been released

It stinks they can get away with this

If its not bent, it certainly looks bent

• Site Supporter

The pandemic has made the government have to throw around numbers that are so large they become in fathomable to most people. £300 billion for furlough, a few billion here for grants, billions for T&T.

It’s only track and trace that really looks like a number that doesn’t fit. 

furlough for millions at £300billion looks about right.

But a tenth of that for a system that employs (and this isn’t official so may be way out) a few thousand people.

But we’re all numb to these astronomical numbers now 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Very expensive considering it didn’t trace a single person. Allegedly 

Where did I say that?

Come on, do you honestly think that £37billion is a fair price?

7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I would like to see a breakdown of how track & trace cost 12-22 Billion.

That is a lot of money, probably made up money.

Example being on a smaller scale, when the council states it cost 25k-£40k to clean up after some Gypsies have had a 5 day stay on a field, how ? 1 skip, 2 workers, how ?

I would assume that's the same with track and trace but on a bigger scale. 

If it did cost that much, you have to ask yourself was it worth it, and it also came in to operation to late, overall was it a success?

With gypsy sites, generally subcontracted out, company says it'll cost £x, does work, invoices council for £x, council pays £x.