Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

21 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Make them quickly? How many did his company make then?

I have no issue at all throwing money at the problem but if you need a piano making quickly you don't rock up at fucking DFS.

So they shouldn’t have got merc F1 and Red Bull involved either to help out the shortage of ventilators? 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

So they shouldn’t have got merc F1 and Red Bull involved either to help out the shortage of ventilators? 

I would have had a lot more faith in those than Dyson. However, were they given blueprints to create parts or full items or to design one from scratch? Were they used?

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Years before championing Brexit, Dyson was also getting his knickers in a twist about the Euro, and was pushing for the UK to join that. With regards to moving his manufacturing to Malaysia, I don't blame him at all, as it is lower cost labour, we'll never be able to do that sort of manufacturing in this country, it's just not possible.

With regards to the ventilators, as some of you know, I was involved in a bit of that. Dyson did come up with a solution, but it was several times more expensive (over 400% more expensive I recall) and not as good as some of the projects that I supplied to. As a company, Dyson spent around, from memory, £25M on developing their ventilator, and due to the price and the fact it was utterly shit, it was never even considered for production. So, he actually lost quite a lot of money on that gig, and as far as I'm aware he didn't take any Government money for the R&D costs, which I know a few other companies did, even though they also didn't produce anything, so fair play to him for that.

R&D is tax free and Dyson will be able to claim back up to 75% of his costs like any other manufacturer in the UK.

So he maybe lost a couple of mill.

He can knock it off all the tax he won't have paid by moving his factories abroad.

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

R&D is tax free and Dyson will be able to claim back up to 75% of his costs like any other manufacturer in the UK.

So he maybe lost a couple of mill.

He can knock it off all the tax he won't have paid by moving his factories abroad.

That'll explain why he still keeps his R&D here in the UK then 🙂

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

I would have had a lot more faith in those than Dyson. However, were they given blueprints to create parts or full items or to design one from scratch? Were they used?

Then you don't know much about Dyson.

I had the opportunity to work with some of their R&D guys years ago. Extremely innovative and willing to explore new areas. Cracking engineering set up.

Whether or not their products were used or needed in the end is immaterial. They, together with others did the job asked of them.

Historically, many a company has gone out of its comfort zone at times of crisis. Sometimes successfully sometimes less so.

Exactly the same idea in asking people at universities etc to try to come up with vaccines and treatments.

13 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

You would have had more faith in somebody who builds racing cars than somebody who already has experience in air movement?

Guest Nordkurve
4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I had the opportunity to work with some of their R&D guys years ago. Extremely innovative and willing to explore new areas. Cracking engineering set up.

Whether or not their products were used or needed in the end is immaterial. They, together with others did the job asked of them.

Historically, many a company has gone out of its comfort zone at times of crisis. Sometimes successfully sometimes less so.

Exactly the same idea in asking people at universities etc to try to come up with vaccines and treatments.

Please explain why the Companies based in the UK who actually manufacture Ventilators, and indeed offered to provide them at cost, didn't even get replies to their offers of help. This "whether or not their products were used" is bollocks, but they didn't actually get to the production stage. In other words, they provided exactly none.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, dave2980 said:

You would have had more faith in somebody who builds racing cars than somebody who already has experience in air movement?

Experience in air movement? Are you serious!? 🤣

Ignoring the fact that hoovers and dryers (and racing cars) are somewhat removed from our respiratory system, I think Red Bull know a little about "air movement" 😉

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

But we didn't need a new ventilator. That is the point. We just needed more of them.

As pointed out already, they spent millions and produced something crap and too expensive anyway.

In a time of crisis you do not start trying to reinvent the wheel.

14 minutes ago, Nordkurve said:

Please explain why the Companies based in the UK who actually manufacture Ventilators, and indeed offered to provide them at cost, didn't even get replies to their offers of help. This "whether or not their products were used" is bollocks, but they didn't actually get to the production stage. In other words, they provided exactly none.

That was the strangest thing

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

That was the strangest thing

Not really. They flapped and fucked about for months when the pandemic hit and were given a lot of slack as a result.

But they showed their true colours even then. Asking mates to help them out, which is normal in any walk of life but not when you're a government.

They delegated the vaccine rollout to the army and NHS and - surprise surprise - it's worked a charm.

Delegating PPE and ventilators to your chum who owns a pub and one who makes cheerful looking hoovers didn't work.

They've been very Tory about many things and will get pardoned because of the circumstances. 

An opposition that couldn't find its arse with both hands means they barely even get a hard time about it.

• Site Supporter

A big part of the problem is that people who voted Tory feel some sort of Football Team style allegiance to defend them at any cost, lest their decision be derided and mocked.

That just makes you a yellow-bellied snowflake in truth.

It is still allowed to change ones mind. To maybe accept you got a decision wrong in hindsight.

Look at @Mounts Kipper. He's backed the tories for ages but has now been calling them rotten for their choices around lifting lockdown and foreign travel. Good on him. He got it wrong and isn't ashamed to admit it. More of a man than most.

It's ok to say "You know what, they sold it well, but turns out it wasn't the utopia they promised. Won't get fooled again though...."

Edited by Spider

1 minute ago, dave2980 said:

What on earth do you think a hair dryer, fan or vacuum cleaner does? 

Dyson's?

Stops far eastern kids attending school.

Causes domestic violence (£600 hairdryers).

Moves dust, fluff and grit around the carpet (vacuums).

Causes energy companies to cut off your supply for non-payment and fit one of those key things scrubbers get topped up in shops - delaying beer purchases of non-tramps. (The fan/heater).

33 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Experience in air movement? Are you serious!? 🤣

Ignoring the fact that hoovers and dryers (and racing cars) are somewhat removed from our respiratory system, I think Red Bull know a little about "air movement" 😉

What are fans, dryers and vacuum cleaners then if they aren't methods of moving air and as for your second comment the above are a little closer to a ventilator than the internal combustion engine and aerodynamics are

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I suspect Dyson was involved solely to assuage m0ngalong panic.

As for Cummings, it's hardly a shock that a reptilian fucker like him turns.

If you dance with a crocodile an' all that.

I suspect he likes revenge served cold and has plenty more dirt to drop when he fancies.

He'll be knee deep in juicy titbits I imagine.