Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, kent_white said:

No doubt that's had an impact - but according the the article - exports were already down by 40% in February - pre COVID.

I've a feeling COVID is papering over a lot of economic cracks at this moment in time.

Have a dig around.

Beef and dairy production is only going to go in one direction in the future. Veganism on the increase, and environmental awareness putting pressure on consumption.

Thankfully, now that we're free from the CAP new rules for payments are coming in, focusing on re purposing or re wilding and diversification, all to improve agriculture's impact on the environment. 

May well mean a gradual move away from intensive methods, which in turn requires a higher yield of product per acre. To achieve that, more arable and less meat is needed, and also set aside/woodland/tourism etc.

Going to take time, but a step in the right direction.

54 minutes ago, royal white said:

Aghhh the press that never lie. Is this as legitimate as the time he was alleged to have battered his missus? 

Take a look at all the media, believe me these leaks are solid and more than one.

What is interesting now is how he plugs them, and gets out of this.

He'll survive this for now I would have thought.

• Site Supporter

Despite everything

I'm not sure why all the fuss over flat renovations for a place that probably gets redecorated every couple of years anyway. That seems lame, unless he's had pure gold fittings put in that he intends to take with him.

That briefing room is the real mystery. Millions for a couple of lecterns, 2 flags and some carpet. Wow.

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

Despite everything

I'm not sure why all the fuss over flat renovations for a place that probably gets redecorated every couple of years anyway. That seems lame, unless he's had pure gold fittings put in that he intends to take with him.

That briefing room is the real mystery. Millions for a couple of lecterns, 2 flags and some carpet. Wow.

I really don't care how much he has spent doing up the flat he lives in, I did hear this morning that the Prime Minister (who ever it is) gets an allowance of £30K each year for renovations, which does seem a lot, as I'd imagine it's not in a huge state of disrepair, and any changes are generally cosmetic. 

The briefing room does seem to be very expensive, and some Government bod was on the radio justifying the price the other day, saying you have to take into account running all the hidden cables and ensuring they have decent WiFi 🙂. I'm sure though, at the risk of bashing just Boris, that if you look back at the previous PMs you'll find they've all been in charge when colossal amounts of money have been frittered away on pointless ventures, such as this briefing room.

Sadly I think for Bozzer, whilst each thing is in itself relatively small, the fact they're all coming out at once, and with Cummings lurking around in the periphery, it might all snowball into a huge "Get Boris" campaign shortly

9 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I really don't care how much he has spent doing up the flat he lives in, I did hear this morning that the Prime Minister (who ever it is) gets an allowance of £30K each year for renovations, which does seem a lot, as I'd imagine it's not in a huge state of disrepair, and any changes are generally cosmetic. 

The briefing room does seem to be very expensive, and some Government bod was on the radio justifying the price the other day, saying you have to take into account running all the hidden cables and ensuring they have decent WiFi 🙂. I'm sure though, at the risk of bashing just Boris, that if you look back at the previous PMs you'll find they've all been in charge when colossal amounts of money have been frittered away on pointless ventures, such as this briefing room.

Sadly I think for Bozzer, whilst each thing is in itself relatively small, the fact they're all coming out at once, and with Cummings lurking around in the periphery, it might all snowball into a huge "Get Boris" campaign shortly

Very good post.

What's the odds for Rishi Sunak as next PM ? I'd rather have him than Gove.

Could see him going before he is pushed what’s he got to gain ? Got brexit through roll out of the vaccine gone well . Supposed to be under a bit of financial pressure make more money as an ex - prime minister than you ever do in power . 

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

He'd be my choice

Gove looks too much like Rick Moranis 

Acts like him too.

I think Sunak would be the better of the two and possibly taken more seriously too. Can we expect to see an outsider making a bid, or even a vote of No Confidence in Johnson ?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

Acts like him too.

I think Sunak would be the better of the two and possibly taken more seriously too. Can we expect to see an outsider making a bid, or even a vote of No Confidence in Johnson ?

Can't see Boris going to be honest. 

If he does, I'd think Rishi would edge it over Gove.

JRM will get a mention, but I'd rather have Mounts in charge than him

13 minutes ago, Spider said:

He'd be my choice

Gove looks too much like Rick Moranis 

He could announce new policies by writing them in gob on a camera lense...

20210427-160204.jpg

Sunak would be good as No. 10 is a middle terrace.

Haven't the Tories got a three bi two to throw their yarmaduke into the ring, take on those anti-semite Labourers head on?

Erm...sommat about Kwasi Kwarteng.

The issue with the flat, if it turns out that party donors money went on refurbishment and not on party funds, they have explaining to do to their actual party.

As for the Let It Rip comment, it appears to be gaining even more ground this afternoon. 

Let's see what happens as a riposte.

4 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Really?, if that's the case, it really is a waste of fucking money!

Dock their wages.

Russian owned firm carried out the work. They also supply the Russian state run broadcaster.

All very bizarre

Edited by mickbrown

45 minutes ago, Spider said:

Can't see Boris going to be honest. 

If he does, I'd think Rishi would edge it over Gove.

JRM will get a mention, but I'd rather have Mounts in charge than him

I forgot about Mogg, hopefully it won't come to that though we would all be treated to even more bizarre speeches 

11 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Really?, if that's the case, it really is a waste of fucking money!

Dock their wages.

Yup Government spent a shit tonne of money on it with the intention of doing US style press briefings.

then after it was unveiled as a bit of paint, flags and lecterns (not forgetting a henry hoover) decided it wasn't the plan any more

https://www.ft.com/content/aba4754b-3b55-42e9-997f-b481c3d71925

Anyone who still supports Boris at this point, isn't going to be arsed about either of those things. If he came out and admitted both, it wouldn't make a difference.

Same would be true if it were Corbyn of course, but that cult isn't the one we have running the country.

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Anyone who still supports Boris at this point, isn't going to be arsed about either of those things. If he came out and admitted both, it wouldn't make a difference.

Same would be true if it were Corbyn of course, but that cult isn't the one we have running the country.

I’m not the spelling police but you may need to go back to this one and edit.

1 hour ago, Tombwfc said:

The only mildly interesting thing about this all now, is that the Daily Mail seem to be going after Boris, which I'm not sure they've ever done before have they?

Guest Nordkurve
58 minutes ago, Sweep said:

The only mildly interesting thing about this all now, is that the Daily Mail seem to be going after Boris, which I'm not sure they've ever done before have they?

Their Paymasters probably want a change at the top. Let's hope they don't want Gove in.

• Site Supporter
22 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Last I heard the current government has since decided not to use it 

Journalists not particularly happy about the briefing system. Not sure if they were the reason behind the change of heart, but one of the bbc's political correspondents was saying that they (journalists) preferred the current lobbying type approach to get information. 

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Which now makes the Daily mail the main source of info for thousands who for years have said it’s only read by Gammon/Nazis/racists etc