Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I love the pin a rosette accusation. I've voted Conservative before and may do again, but these are my local elections. There are certain local issues I'd like looking at.

I mean we can chase our tail on stats all day, given Kahn stopped and reversed Johnson's cuts to the met to meet the issue with knife crime and now spending on policing in London is higher than it ever was under the Tories. Also, crime has risen faster in other parts of Engalnd since 2016 than London. Again, a slippery thing like figures you can turn them for any arguement. Burglaries in London have risen but sexual attacks are down compared to a rise throughout the country, and one of the main issues with using recoreded crime figures for increase or decrease is that the more money pumped into policing, the better they are at recording and following up on crime so an effect of increased funding is actually an increase in recorded crime. That's a kicker, but if you are in the job for public service rather than ego, its something you have to live with I guess.

The biggest thing to Londoners, other than crime and community, the one thing that gets people's backs up is transport. The cable car, the bridge (what was it £50 odd million on something that was never built) people got sick of vanity projects. More money invested, taking on train companies and popular schemes like the Hopper fare rather than another bridge over the Thames, have been popular with the public.

Interesting to hear an insight from a local resident.

What are the downsides of Khan? Policy errors?

1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

Being aware is all part and parcel of life. I look for info which the likes of the BBC darent publish. Are those figures fact or fiction ? They are facts, so how is that counter pproductive to post that unless you're scared of the truth ?

Dare not publish or are such complete falsehoods they get taken to court before the last bongs of the news have sounded?

Just now, Not in Crawley said:

Dare not publish or are such complete falsehoods they get taken to court before the last bongs of the news have sounded?

Can you read or did you not listen to it  ? Those figures are official figures given out by the Met, thank you.

4 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Being aware is all part and parcel of life. I look for info which the likes of the BBC darent publish. Are those figures fact or fiction ? They are facts, so how is that counter pproductive to post that unless you're scared of the truth ?

It's a fact to state I'm yet to break 3:56 for the mile.

It's the way facts and figures are presented, well they're so malleable as to make them almost worthless.

And that applies across the board. Left to right.

Away from fields such as science or mathematics there is very little indisputable 'fact' out there.

FACT.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

6 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

It's a fact to state I'm yet to break 3:56 for the mile.

It's the way facts and figures are presented, well they're so malleable as to make them almost worthless.

And that applies across the board. Left to right.

Away from fields such as science or mathematics there is very little indisputable 'fact' out there.

FACT.

Go and tell the Met that, it is their figures which were quoted for the umpteenth time.

And to answer NiC, the BBC and their media chums could simply check the Met website instead of chasing around all day.....which is what proper media outlets would do instead of being lazy newshounds.

27 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I love the pin a rosette accusation. I've voted Conservative before and may do again, but these are my local elections. There are certain local issues I'd like looking at.

I mean we can chase our tail on stats all day, given Kahn stopped and reversed Johnson's cuts to the met to meet the issue with knife crime and now spending on policing in London is higher than it ever was under the Tories. Also, crime has risen faster in other parts of Engalnd since 2016 than London. Again, a slippery thing like figures you can turn them for any arguement. Burglaries in London have risen but sexual attacks are down compared to a rise throughout the country, and one of the main issues with using recoreded crime figures for increase or decrease is that the more money pumped into policing, the better they are at recording and following up on crime so an effect of increased funding is actually an increase in recorded crime. That's a kicker, but if you are in the job for public service rather than ego, its something you have to live with I guess.

The biggest thing to Londoners, other than crime and community, the one thing that gets people's backs up is transport. The cable car, the bridge (what was it £50 odd million on something that was never built) people got sick of vanity projects. More money invested, taking on train companies and popular schemes like the Hopper fare rather than another bridge over the Thames, have been popular with the public.

There you go....no deflection from these official figures.........but but but like a speedboat all you like squire 😉 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/380963/london-crime-rate/

1 hour ago, miamiwhite said:

100 quid with @Jol_BWFCthat Khan wouldn't still be in his office today, something like that, Jol knows the full details

Yes, it was £100 that Khan wouldn’t see out his current term. You were convinced some skeletons would come out of the closet and he would leave his post before the end.

2 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

@Jol_BWFC

Is it today our bet ends ?

Right, let's see you put your money where your keyboard mouth is 😃 

Fancy a double or quits for charity in the boxing ring ? I will travel to you, just name the venue.

In fact, if you do have balls, I will make it £500 to you if you win......How's that sound ? 👊 

Yes, indeed it is today. With Khan having seen out his term (even with a year extension!) it’s finally settled.

It would be foolish not to at least ask what the double or quit bet would be. But no, I don’t have any appetite for a double/quit. I’ve waited about 4 years for this one!

1 minute ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Yes, it was £100 that Khan wouldn’t see out his current term. You were convinced some skeletons would come out of the closet and he would leave his post before the end.

Yes, indeed it is today. With Khan having seen out his term (even with a year extension!) it’s finally settled.

It would be foolish not to at least ask what the double or quit bet would be. But no, I don’t have any appetite for a double/quit. I’ve waited about 4 years for this one!

Fair enough if you're too yellow to step into the ring for charity. Send us your details via PM and I'll fire the money over.

5 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Fair enough if you're too yellow to step into the ring for charity. Send us your details via PM and I'll fire the money over.

Yeah, boxing is not my thing.

I’d be happy for you to donate £100 to WanderersWays on my behalf, if you’re ok with that? 

18 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

There you go....no deflection from these official figures.........but but but like a speedboat all you like squire 😉 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/380963/london-crime-rate/

Did you read my post. You post a boom fact, then I will. As Yori says its about which position you are seeing this from.

I also have a meeting with York Museums now so you can post more if you want.

5 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Did you read my post. You post a boom fact, then I will. As Yori says its about which position you are seeing this from.

I also have a meeting with York Museums now so you can post more if you want.

Will post knife crime figures which have increased year on year under your Messiah 😉 

The position i'm seeing it from like all normal people who like the truth is from the official figures, hope it suffices your appetite and desire for the truth

https://www.statista.com/statistics/864736/knife-crime-in-london/

Edited by miamiwhite

3 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

12 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Yeah, boxing is not my thing.

I’d be happy for you to donate £100 to WanderersWays on my behalf, if you’re ok with that? 

Not a problem pal, do you want to inform Happy via PM or shall I ? 

Edited by miamiwhite

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

You do realise Khan cut the Met budget in 2017 by £38million and backtracked on his promise of increasing the numbers in the Met to 32,000 police officers ? Only recently, when under severe pressure to do so, has he injected more into the Met budget.

Would you honestly say he has a better crime record than Johnson as Mayor ? Remember, the official stats do not lie.

Khan favours funding vanity projects especially in the city centre over reducing the crime rate, that is proven during his tenure.

You seem very defensive re his record and have to divert the attention away to the country as a whole.

I sincerely hope he makes a bid for PM, then the entire nation not just a red London will quite rightly judge him for the failure he is.

19 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

You do realise Khan cut the Met budget in 2017 by £38million and backtracked on his promise of increasing the numbers in the Met to 32,000 police officers ? Only recently, when under severe pressure to do so, has he injected more into the Met budget.

Would you honestly say he has a better crime record than Johnson as Mayor ? Remember, the official stats do not lie.

Khan favours funding vanity projects especially in the city centre over reducing the crime rate, that is proven during his tenure.

You seem very defensive re his record and have to divert the attention away to the country as a whole.

I sincerely hope he makes a bid for PM, then the entire nation not just a red London will quite rightly judge him for the failure he is.

Read what I've written rather than just bang the same drum. It'll make sense then.

I get you personally have an issue with him, which is toatlly fine, I'm just outlining some of the reason's he's on track to be voted back as the most popular mayor since the role was created.

6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Read what I've written rather than just bang the same drum. It'll make sense then.

I get you personally have an issue with him, which is toatlly fine, I'm just outlining some of the reason's he's on track to be voted back as the most popular mayor since the role was created.

You just try to shift the attention from the original point which was that tweet about his crap record on crime. Stick of beating you arse up now with facts 😃 

4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Anyway, those who do support Johnson and the Conservatives in this election should be cock-a-hoop today, it looks like its going to be a bad day for Labour which will pile more pressure on Starmer.

I've not even looked, is it really bad for Labour ? 

If they lose Hartlepool, it will be messy for Starmer to get out of this.

Who's the next favourite for leader, is there actually anybody who would want the job ? Bit of a poisoned chalice at present.

4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Anyway, those who do support Johnson and the Conservatives in this election should be cock-a-hoop today, it looks like its going to be a bad day for Labour which will pile more pressure on Starmer.

Labour only got my vote for council election as she was the only one who lived in the ward. And I quite like Burnham so he got my vote in GM mayor.

Labour seem to be relying on the 'we're not the Tories' tactics for getting votes rather than saying what they are standing for.

The Greens currently are who would get my vote based on policy (despite their daft stance on nuclear power)