Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

17 minutes ago, Spider said:

Things were just fine.

They changed for a really unusual reason.

One that all sides agree was a bit daft.

Drown in your own pity then fella or do something about it.

You need a boot up the arse and I will gladly do it for you.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Drown in your own pity then fella or do something about it.

You need a boot up the arse and I will gladly do it for you.

I’ll be just fine

But no one likes having their pocket picked.

You just want to touch my bottom.

45 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Rolls Royce consortium are creating 40k jobs, worth a shot pal.

Are they?

I know they're talking about possibly creating up to 40K jobs at some point in the 2030's if their idea for small scale nuclear reactors works, which it may or may not.

I'm not sure I would go as far as suggesting that they are creating 40k jobs at the minute. Fingers crossed it'll happen, but it's still ten years away, and might still not go ahead anyway

Edited by Sweep

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

Are they?

I know they're talking about possibly creating up to 40K jobs at some point in the 2030's of their idea for small scale nuclear reactors works, which it may or may not.

I'm not sure if go as far as suggesting that they are creating 40k jobs at the minute. Fingers crossed it'll happen, but it's still ten years away, and might still not go ahead anyway

Yes, the article was uploaded earlier.

I mentioned the timescale too, though some work starts this year.

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In all honesty, I'd never heard of the place until now- didn't know Spain had such an enclave.

Yet they want Gibraltar back!

The place was rather busy the other year when they were scuffling with the Spanish plod 👊 😉 

Plenty of interesting midweek footage available online and way back in this thread.

• Site Supporter

Inflation doubled in April. 

Commodity prices are rocketing (copper especially, but tin & aluminium too)

Lumber, corn, wheat - all heading north very quickly.

Could be a lockdown emergence, but if it's not held in check it could get nasty.

Let's hope everyone has savings hidden, might need them when a box of cornflakes is £10.

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

Could be a lockdown emergence, but if it's not held in check it could get nasty.

Let's hope everyone has savings hidden, might need them when a box of cornflakes is £10.

Absolutely everything is increasing in price, everything. It's going to continue for the rest of this year and into next year as well. It's a Global issue, and the perfect storm has hit, which is causing the issues. 

Firstly, like it or not, much of what we consume comes from the Far East....even if it's not the finished product, some or most of the raw materials come from there. In the last 12 months, we've seen in increase in freight costs, from about $2000 per tonne up to over $7500 per tonne - and this is sea freight, air freight has increased far more. A large reason for this is COVID, as there are now a lot less flights, so cargo prices have increased and continue to do so. There is a shortage of shipping containers for sea shipments......well, there are enough containers, they're just all in the wrong place. We have loads of empty containers here in Europe, and China want them back, the problem is that there is a massive cost to shipping an empty container back from whence it came. Then we had that ship stuck in the Suez, that has caused a huge price increase and a knock on in delivery times. So that's just freight covered.

Raw materials, no matter if it's copper, corn , ICs or plastics - again, a huge shortage, caused by factories closing due to COVID. I can only rally talk about the area I work in, electronics, but that is currently fucked beyond all believe, the main reason is EV and 5G, they're sucking up all the components and will continue to do so for the next 6 quarters it's predicted. Even the Automotive manufacturers are having to close their production lines for weeks at a time, and that rarely happens.....especially all of them at pretty much the same time. 

It's not all bad, we've just had 3 consecutive record months, obviously due to the price increases that we're passing on, the worry is that we'll actually end up running out of stock to sell in a few months, because typical delivery times that only a year ago were around 8-10 weeks are now quoted as 52-75 weeks.

The world has gone utterly mad, and unfortunately many businesses are going to suffer - still, business is all about survival of the fittest and trying to push your competitors our of business, at the minute we seem to be doing OK, so long may it continue 🙂

50 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Absolutely everything is increasing in price, everything. It's going to continue for the rest of this year and into next year as well. It's a Global issue, and the perfect storm has hit, which is causing the issues. 

Firstly, like it or not, much of what we consume comes from the Far East....even if it's not the finished product, some or most of the raw materials come from there. In the last 12 months, we've seen in increase in freight costs, from about $2000 per tonne up to over $7500 per tonne - and this is sea freight, air freight has increased far more. A large reason for this is COVID, as there are now a lot less flights, so cargo prices have increased and continue to do so. There is a shortage of shipping containers for sea shipments......well, there are enough containers, they're just all in the wrong place. We have loads of empty containers here in Europe, and China want them back, the problem is that there is a massive cost to shipping an empty container back from whence it came. Then we had that ship stuck in the Suez, that has caused a huge price increase and a knock on in delivery times. So that's just freight covered.

Raw materials, no matter if it's copper, corn , ICs or plastics - again, a huge shortage, caused by factories closing due to COVID. I can only rally talk about the area I work in, electronics, but that is currently fucked beyond all believe, the main reason is EV and 5G, they're sucking up all the components and will continue to do so for the next 6 quarters it's predicted. Even the Automotive manufacturers are having to close their production lines for weeks at a time, and that rarely happens.....especially all of them at pretty much the same time. 

It's not all bad, we've just had 3 consecutive record months, obviously due to the price increases that we're passing on, the worry is that we'll actually end up running out of stock to sell in a few months, because typical delivery times that only a year ago were around 8-10 weeks are now quoted as 52-75 weeks.

The world has gone utterly mad, and unfortunately many businesses are going to suffer - still, business is all about survival of the fittest and trying to push your competitors our of business, at the minute we seem to be doing OK, so long may it continue 🙂

The lead time on some materials in my game has gone mental too, same with most prices. Going to be a tricky time for all in the months ahead after lockdown is fully over and covid wiped out.

Mentioned it before re timbers etc, the Yanks appear to be buying up all stocks from Latvia and Sweden pushing the price right up. Getting to a silly stage now.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Stop being a puff and get your job application in here Captain Senseless 🇬🇧 

• Site Supporter
Just now, miamiwhite said:

Stop being a puff and get your job application in here Captain Senseless 🇬🇧 

I'm a pacifist. I cannot in good conscience build vehicles used to shoot babies.

29 minutes ago, Ani said:

Raw material inflation at about 9% at the moment. 

that's peanuts  🙂

Electronic Components (Active & Passive) at over 20% and rising  -  on the plus side, it's good for my monthly commission levels at the minute, which are now almost double what they were last year

In all seriousness though, all these cost rises will be passed down the food chain soon enough, which will see overall inflation rising quite dramatically I'd have thought

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Sweep said:

that's peanuts  🙂

Electronic Components (Active & Passive) at over 20% and rising  -  on the plus side, it's good for my monthly commission levels at the minute, which are now almost double what they were last year

In all seriousness though, all these cost rises will be passed down the food chain soon enough, which will see overall inflation rising quite dramatically I'd have thought

The pandemic must be paid for