Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

You and Dimron are twins, brothers or bessie mates, he was eluding to the same thing earlier 🤓

???????????

I'm just a bloke who likes to chuck stones into the pond and watch the ripples

2 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Wasn’t the Labour candidate partially responsible for closing it down?

I live in a safe Tory heartland seat... Our A&E was closed several years ago and all Nick Bowles could do was blow hot air

Marina's summing up after her cult analysis said it all for me:

the public don’t expect better than the substandard governance served up over the past 14 months isn’t the win they think it is. Is that the mindset that’s going to make a success of Global Britain? Do me a favour. It’s the mindset of managed decline

2 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

And something we can all agree on 😉 😜 

Effortlessly sexy eh. If only the inflated lipped, false toothed, try too hard women of today would take inspiration from places other than reality TV, twatter types... the world would be a better place. 

While I'm at it, I dont have one but teach your daughters that brains and good conversation are far more of a turn on than a big rack and a fake tan. 🙄

Yes I'm drunk, but for once I'm pretty sure this is a statement I'll stand by in the hungover morning 👍

• Site Supporter

I notice our fluffy-bonced leader has hastily got wed to the volatile Carrie.

Thats all a bit shotgun.

Must just be so very in love.

In an entirely unrelated musing - did you know that Marital Privilege protects communications directly between a husband and wife, specifically - they don’t have to testify and reveal what’s been said between them.

That might come in handy.

14 hours ago, Boby Brno said:

I started to read that until it came to “according to Dominic Cummings”

Guardian Journalism at its best. 
Last year he was the son of the Devil.

You should read on, as that's not what the article says.

What I do find interesting is the amount of folks on here leaping to disavow this piece and thereby proving its central point.

Welcome to the UK, 2021.

From this morning's Telegraph. A reflection from Daniel Hannan on how the Swiss last week walked away from trade and other talks with the EU after experiencing the same bullying we experienced after 2016. I know that many remainers on here now see these traits from Brussels and are pretty glad we left. I wonder if the die-hard remoaner zealotry have had any remote second thoughts. Probably not ...

The Swiss are far too wise a nation to succumb to the stultifying embrace of Brussels

Switzerland is perfectly content with the existing tangle of bilateral accords - it was Brussels that had been pushing for change.

Switzerland has pretty much everything going for it: low taxes, high wages, minimal unemployment, dispersed government, national sovereignty, direct democracy. According to the UN Human Development Index, which measures healthcare, education, life expectancy and the like, it is the third-best country to live in the world.

Its population, pre-coronavirus, would swell by around 300,000 during office hours, as people from neighbouring states crossed the border to work – and small wonder. Switzerland’s GDP per head is roughly twice the EU’s.

This last point is critical in understanding why talks between Brussels and Bern broke down last week. Switzerland’s wealth has always annoyed Euro-federalists. If a country of eight-and-a-half million people can flourish so insolently, what is left of their argument that you need to be part of a big bloc in order to survive?

Eurocrats rationalise Switzerland’s success by telling themselves that that country prospers through parasitism. The Swiss, they claim, get all the benefits of the EU with few of the costs. They are able to trade freely with a vast market while doing such dastardly things as cutting their taxes. I once sat through a debate in the European Parliament in which Switzerland’s low tax rates were solemnly condemned by speaker after speaker as a form of illegal state aid.

The EU had been pushing since 2014 to bring the Swiss into line with other neighbouring states, collapsing around 120 different sectoral treaties into a single Framework Agreement.

The Swiss had no problem with streamlining these accords, but it soon became clear that Eurocrats were not interested only in a tidying-up exercise. They wanted to pull the Helvetic Confederation more firmly into their regulatory orbit, imposing stricter rules on state aid, social security and free movement.

Swiss voters felt they were being bullied. In particular, they resented being told to accept EU rules on common citizenship – including welfare claims and voting rights – when they had voted against becoming EU citizens.

“It was exactly what they tried to do to you during the Brexit talks”, a Swiss MP friend and occasional skiing companion tells me. “They basically wanted us to be non-voting members, following all their rules without a say. Boris said no to them and so have we”.

Did Brexit, as many Swiss believe, make the Brussels negotiators more brittle, more hypersensitive, more domineering? Perhaps a little. But, frankly, they were already displaying all these characteristics when their talks with Bern began in 2014.

The EU doesn’t do give-and-take. Even when a modicum of flexibility would plainly serve its own interests, it finds it hard to move beyond issuing lordly demands.

Had Brussels allowed David Cameron to retrieve just one area of jurisdiction in the 2016 talks, Britain would surely have voted to stay. Had it treated Theresa May with less obvious disdain, Britain might have ended up inside the customs union. If it were ready to compromise over the Northern Ireland Protocol, Britain would not be heading for a unilateral renunciation. But, each and every time, the EU defaults to its tetchy imperiousness.

In the short term, the collapse of these talks makes little difference. Switzerland is perfectly content with the existing tangle of bilateral accords. It was Brussels that had been pushing for change.

But few expect the EU to let things lie. Just as it did during the Brexit talks, it will seek to tighten the screw, excluding Switzerland from common deals on pharmaceuticals, research, financial services and more. The fact that it cannot do these things without damaging its own economy is of no concern. For Brussels functionaries, European unity is an end in itself, not a means to a better life.

But the Swiss are no more likely than the British to give in to threats. If their current half-in- half-out deal status is no longer on offer, they will almost certainly move further out. And they will be right, for the best way to safeguard their prosperity is to retain the unusual political structures on which it rests.

Eurocrats like to imagine that the Swiss rejected EU membership for reasons of selfishness or xenophobia. They could not be more wrong. Switzerland is an exceptionally open and multilingual society, a quarter of whose population is foreign.

No, the reason the Swiss did not want to join the EU is that they could see that ever-closer union was incompatible with the principles that govern their confederation, namely the dispersal of power to the cantons and the regular use of referendums. Those precepts have served to make them the richest and freest people in Europe, and good luck to them.