Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Think it’s easy to say put more police on the streets as if that will solve it

London is a big place so which streets do you put them on? 

There was a stabbing in a residential street in Walthamstow last year, not somewhere where you would expect there to be a police presence 

Clearly these people don’t give a fuck about the punishment for carrying a knife 

Increasing stop and search creates more issues so the cycle repeats itself 

Not just police on the streets. It's a change of mentality within the population. As I was suggesting before, as long as there are a number of apologists for this behaviour, it won't be stopped.

Doesn't matter what ethnic background people are from, unless it is deemed right and proper that a minimum standard of behaviour is required- a social covenant if you like, then the circle continues. 

Got to break the chain somewhere. 

All kids get the same basic education opportunity, health care etc, yet we are bombarded with stories of woe from one group or another daily.

But with rights come responsibilities: for me far more emphasis is needed on restorative punishment. Visible, physical work that improves communities and actually gives them a sense of purpose and gets them tired!

1 hour ago, Zico said:

to be honest, I don't really care if gangs want to shoot/stab each other, if they were to promise to leave "innocent" folk alone, they could crack on

in all seriousness though (I was only being slightly serious in the last sentance), they need to look at things like how they cleaned up New York in the 80s/90s and see what works and what doesn't

it may have gone too far though and never be sorted, but some effort has to be demonstrably made

and if it doesn't work, so long as they only kill each other

one way to try and sort it out is if you're caught in possession of a knife, without a very, very good reason, then straight off to clink for 6 months. Caught for a second time, then death penalty. Sadly, it'll never happen.

Although, with regards to being caught in possession, I hear they're a bit cleverer now, especially on some of these estates, where they have literally dozens of knives hidden in hedges and gardens that they have very easy access to, so when they're sitting around, deciding who they want to rape, mug or murder, they're never more than a few feet away from the weapon that's easily accessible. So worst case, if they get stopped in a stop and search, they'll not be caught with anything.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

to be honest, I don't really care if gangs want to shoot/stab each other, if they were to promise to leave "innocent" folk alone, they could crack on

in all seriousness though (I was only being slightly serious in the last sentance), they need to look at things like how they cleaned up New York in the 80s/90s and see what works and what doesn't

it may have gone too far though and never be sorted, but some effort has to be demonstrably made

and if it doesn't work, so long as they only kill each other

For one day only, turn Hyde Park into a gladiatorial colosseum. Invite every wannabe gangster to a no holes barred royal rumble style fight and let them get it off their chest 

Dead bodies get chucked in the serpentine and the winner gets to keep a swan and called king of the manor 

I did email Sadiq about this and he hasn’t replied so can only assume he’s still thinking about it.

Seriously though, with NY style crackdowns it may only push the problem elsewhere so whilst it might be solved in London, Watford could become a knife crime hotspot 

5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

one way to try and sort it out is if you're caught in possession of a knife, without a very, very good reason, then straight off to clink for 6 months. Caught for a second time, then death penalty. Sadly, it'll never happen.

Although, with regards to being caught in possession, I hear they're a bit cleverer now, especially on some of these estates, where they have literally dozens of knives hidden in hedges and gardens that they have very easy access to, so when they're sitting around, deciding who they want to rape, mug or murder, they're never more than a few feet away from the weapon that's easily accessible. So worst case, if they get stopped in a stop and search, they'll not be caught with anything.

Problem with that is prison space. No doubt the people who are all in favour of it wouldn’t want a prison built near them to lock up the people they want in prison 

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not just police on the streets. It's a change of mentality within the population. As I was suggesting before, as long as there are a number of apologists for this behaviour, it won't be stopped.

Doesn't matter what ethnic background people are from, unless it is deemed right and proper that a minimum standard of behaviour is required- a social covenant if you like, then the circle continues. 

Got to break the chain somewhere. 

All kids get the same basic education opportunity, health care etc, yet we are bombarded with stories of woe from one group or another daily.

But with rights come responsibilities: for me far more emphasis is needed on restorative punishment. Visible, physical work that improves communities and actually gives them a sense of purpose and gets them tired!

Need to look at how Glasgow broke the circle.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Have a watch of this tomorrow fella, you'll see there's a whole unreported world outside your window.

https://twitter.com/Jefferson_MFG/status/1400041281053761563?s=19

My window is currently a view across Ullswater to Hellvelyn and the breathlessly beautiful Lake District mountains.

I have a beer and meat grilling close by.

The unreported world can go fuck itself ❤️❤️✌️✌️✌️

6 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Check the latest Brexit approval rating.....70% positive.

You and the other 29% keep clutching at straws fella.

We should all remember the phrase attributed to Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels – “A lie told once remains a lie, but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth” 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

We should all remember the phrase attributed to Dominic Cummings – “A lie told once remains a lie, but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth” 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

My window is currently a view across Ullswater to Hellvelyn and the breathlessly beautiful Lake District mountains.

I have a beer and meat grilling close by.

The unreported world can go fuck itself ❤️❤️✌️✌️✌️

Good man, you've got the weather for it 👍 

Have a good un matey and stop worrying about all the investment flooding into Britain 🇬🇧 

1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

Need to look at how Glasgow broke the circle.

Very good point

2 hours ago, Sweep said:

Yep. After a lad was stabbed outside a pub near here a couple of years ago the coppers ran a campaign on social media. Swept the area every day and posted a photo each day asking if you could see the knife. Fucking unbelievable how many they found and how difficult they were to spot. 

1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

We should all remember the phrase attributed to Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels – “A lie told once remains a lie, but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth” 

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

If you’re going to use the quote, use it properly 

14 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

If you’re going to use the quote, use it properly 

Will do

18 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

The peace loving left up to their old tricks yet again.

Cue the excuses and more buts than a spluttering speedboat 🚤 🙄 

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1400266501601513475?s=19

If you go searching for examples of violence, from left, right or fucking centre, you'll find it.

Close Twitter and relax.

1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

If you go searching for examples of violence, from left, right or fucking centre, you'll find it.

Close Twitter and relax.

Struggling to find any from the right at present fella 😉 

Take some valium and calm down.

• Site Supporter

The ENGLISH football league have kicked Mitre - the English manufacturer - out and replaced them with GERMANS to supply footballs.

Liz Truss hasn’t commented on it I notice.

16 minutes ago, Spider said:

The ENGLISH football league have kicked Mitre - the English manufacturer - out and replaced them with GERMANS to supply footballs.

Liz Truss hasn’t commented on it I notice.

Balls to them ️ 

This isn't in the slightest bit related to Brexit, but an excellent piece to interest the fans of aviation on here and a cracking name on the nose for @spider and myself to wrestle over

https://twitter.com/tomiahonen/status/1400426512222916612?s=19