Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Sweep said:

It's not a surprise, we always knew there was going to be a bit of shortage of seasonal workers for picking fruit and veg, we'll eventually just fuck off large swathes our farming industry and import from abroad, as it'll be cheaper and more convenient. Unless of course we start to chuck out visas for "unskilled labour" in order to get that cheap/casual labour back into the country, I see that Tim Martin has already called for something similar.

Anyway, Cauliflower is shit

They were supposed to be allowing them in for such purposes anyhow.

Article on the bbc a while back, about Romania and how many of their younger people are staying at home now as their economy is paying better wages.

Brexit and covid will have hastened the inevitable; but if we're importing from elsewhere, then it suggests their oversupply or we're paying more for the produce.

In which case, wages will become more competitive over here in time

• Site Supporter

Whilst I quite like a bit of cauliflower, there’ll be no detriment to my life if I never see or eat another. The only folk really hurt by a lack of folk to work the market gardens  are the cauliflower farmers.

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Whilst I quite like a bit of cauliflower, there’ll be no detriment to my life if I never see or eat another. The only folk really hurt by a lack of folk to work the market gardens  are the cauliflower farmers.

You are pretty much right. However, if we are growing stuff here and it is going to waste despite a domestic market for it, that is bad for the UK and the environment. Albeit on a small scale obviously. 

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Winchester White said:

You are pretty much right. However, if we are growing stuff here and it is going to waste despite a domestic market for it, that is bad for the UK and the environment. Albeit on a small scale obviously. 

That works in year one. If the farmers grow just as much acreage of cauliflowers next year and then don’t manage to employ cheap labour again then that’d be stupid.

• Site Supporter

Just as a catch up

Brexit has fucked the fisherfolk, but we don’t care really because it’s a very small contribution to our GDP and there are losers and winners.

Brexit is now bumming cauli farmers (and probably other farmers that need cheap foreign labour), but we don’t care really because it’s a very small contribution to our GDP and there are losers and winners.

Brexit has caused a number of businesses in the steel manufacturing sector to lose customers in Ireland, France and Holland, but we don’t care really because it’s a very small contribution to our GDP and there are losers and winners.

For balance, Nissan in sunderland are no longer moving production of a car abroad and some jobs up there won’t be lost as a result. We care only about that as it’s a massive contribution to our GDP and there are losers and winners.

Anyone keeping count?

6 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Why dont EU cauli pickers just get one of these. Took me all of 30 seconds to find. Simples.

https://www.gov.uk/seasonal-worker-visa

I don't know, but I guess the initial £244 to get the visa, and having to have at least £1270 cleared funds in your account, that have to have been in your account for a minimum of 28 days before you're admitted to the UK might be stumbling blocks.

Previously they just used to rock up and go and find work, now as well as paying before they get here, having to already have cash, and having to get a "sponsor" are probably a bit of a ball ache. On one hand, that's good, as it stops all these foreign types coming over and stealing our jobs......on the other hand, it's bad, as we don't actually want the jobs that they're stealing.

The low wage these jobs pay is always mentioned, but we also need to consider that it's a geographical issue as well. Even if the farmers said OK, we know the British public is happy to pay £2 for a UK Cauli, rather than £1 for an imported one (which we know they're not, and never will be), so we'll up the wage of the pickers to £15 an hour, we still wouldn't have the young folk of the UK happily moving to some desolate part of Lincolnshire for four or five months, to live in a static caravan with 3 or 4 other people, out doing manual graft (and I'd imagine it's fucking hard work) 10 hours a day.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Just as a catch up

Brexit has fucked the fisherfolk, but we don’t care really because it’s a very small contribution to our GDP and there are losers and winners.

Brexit is now bumming cauli farmers (and probably other farmers that need cheap foreign labour), but we don’t care really because it’s a very small contribution to our GDP and there are losers and winners.

Brexit has caused a number of businesses in the steel manufacturing sector to lose customers in Ireland, France and Holland, but we don’t care really because it’s a very small contribution to our GDP and there are losers and winners.

For balance, Nissan in sunderland are no longer moving production of a car abroad and some jobs up there won’t be lost as a result. We care only about that as it’s a massive contribution to our GDP and there are losers and winners.

Anyone keeping count?

Farmers and Fishers were always going to get thrown under the train, we all knew that, and to be honest, I really don't care about them. In a few years, when the UK Government is having to subsidise these industries and prop them up, then hopefully there will be a campaign to "Boycott British Produce" and get them pushed out of existence quickly, rather than let them milk us tax payers. There is a romantic notion that people will buy British, the fact of the matter is, and always has been, if we can get it for $0.01 cheaper offshore, then that's what people will go for.

I am of course joking, but the UK Public does have form for quantity over quality - so the lowest price will win, and we're opening the door up for Farmers all over the world to under cut them, so you'd have to hope that the UK Government will set up suitable tariffs to protect them........does anybody trust the Government to actually do this, when they're attempting to get "free trade" deals with anybody/everybody?

Edited by Sweep

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Spider said:

Just as a catch up

Anyone keeping count?

Nowt like doing your research beforehand eh?

Is the fuck the fishermen and farmers attitude payback for manufacturing and miners (SW lost a lot of them over last 20 years)?

Add hospitality to list struggling to get cheap labour. Be reet next year when nobody wants to holiday in the UK when Costas open.

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Nowt like doing your research beforehand eh?

Some research here about the Lugano Convention for you.

Legal services are worth £60billion to the UK and our withdrawal has put this at massive risk.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/07/28/business/lugano-convention-uk-europe-dispute-intl-cmd/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

Of course, everyone knew what they were voting for (apart from me)

Edited by Spider

3 hours ago, deane koontz said:

I see the freaks are getting worked up over lifeboats now 🤣

Farage has accused the RNLI of aiding and abetting immigrants crossing the channel... by carrying out rescues when they are in trouble.

A very twisted man

19 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Sad news that David Greenhalgh, leader of Bolton Council, has died aged only 53.

A genuinely decent man, DG was the driving force of the Conservative party that finally flushed the odious/incompetent labour party out of control of Bolton.

I remember him seemed like a decent bloke for a Tory.

On 29/07/2021 at 15:45, Dimron said:

500 illegals = 100 hand car washes... where else are you going to get the inside and out of your motor done for a tenner?

I watched one of those UK border force fly on the wall documentaries on Pick or some other shite freeview channel whilst in a hotel.

Of the 5 guys working at the car wash they raided 1 was a British national the other 4 were 40+Yr old fellas with big taches and beards here illegally.

When immigration interviewed them the British guy offered his services as translator (probably so the could get rid of immigrationand ring up 4 more illegals to come in to work)and even he was baffled when all 4 of them claimed to be 15 hoping they'd get away with being kids.

It didn't work once the authorities raided the HMO they were staying at another 12 people were found there all over stayers of some description or other.

If you need asylum come ashore and the country should help take the piss and home you go.

7 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

I remember him seemed like a decent bloke for a Tory.

There lies the problem.

I do not like the National Conservative Party but our Local Councillor who is a top bloke is a member of the  Local Conservatives and gets my vote at a local level.

Obviously I didn't know the man but he appears to have died too young. RIP