Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Members
19 hours ago, Dimron said:

I went for an interview for lorry driving but I smiled too much and told them I could only eat one Yorkie Bar per day

What’s your prostitute murder conversion rate?

It's no coincidence that wagon drivers used to 'rest' down Shifnall Street, then when the social and coppers moved it up (brassing) to Coe Street that suddenly became their preferred 'rest' stop.

In between jobs in my late teens I signed on with an employment agency, was offered a job as an 'overnight' driver's mate, including dossing down in the cab with the murderous cunt(s) I thought...

A. I'd wake up with a sore bottom, boxers on the wrong way round after a suspiciously chalky cup of tea last thing.

Or...

B. Be forced to aid and abett the kidnap, rape, murder and disposal of some poor girl who'd turned to prostitution.

I said 'no ta' and went elsewhere, ended up at White Arrow - they (the drivers) mainly spent time thinking up increasingly bizarre reasons why they'd brought loads of returns back after spending the day fishing and not delivering, rather than murdering girls of the night.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
On 04/08/2021 at 10:36, Dimron said:

That is what that Tory twat Bridgen was saying... Blair facilitated working class people to go to university rather than accept their station in life and become manual workers, as a result we became reliant on imported labour and now have fewer British lorry drivers. In his world we should all have accepted our roles in life and expected nothing better.

On the plus side we are now going to teach latin in schools

He's right too.

The education, education, education statement was all well and good provided there are the requisite number of quality courses and jobs available afterwards; which there aren't.

Nor are there enough academically good enough students around to undertake meaningful degrees. 

It also created a 2 tier system whereby it was almost demeaning not to go to university. 

It is also completely incorrect to think that in was previously more difficult for folk from poorer backgrounds to go to university. It wasn't as it was based on academic ability only, with a grant system available. Now it scares the fuck out of many, for fear of being tens of thousands in debt at the end. 

A nice idea, but a huge mistake- I worked for a university for some time and witnessed the effects personally. 

One benefit however, is the lack of tradesmen meaning those available can earn loads of coin.

All societies need to have sufficient employment and opportunities for everyone, based not just on academic ability, but other qualities too.

Fortunately, we now seem to be changing things in that direction.

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It is also completely incorrect to think that in was previously more difficult for folk from poorer backgrounds to go to university. It wasn't as it was based on academic ability only, with a grant system available. Now it scares the fuck out of many, for fear of being tens of thousands in debt at the end. 

A nice idea, but a huge mistake- I worked for a university for some time and witnessed the effects personally. 

I have to agree with your points, I grew up in a Bolton council house, went to sixth form and ended up with a science degree with a local authority grant, I like to think it was about my desire and ability. However I don't totally agree with Bridgen because he is glossing over how the privileged posh boys could automatically walk into Oxbridge colleges and similar irrespective of ability. This is probably what New Labour was trying to address.

I think I have already mentioned that I sometimes teach part time in Colleges and my full time long serving peers tell me how the raw product from the schools is nowhere near as good as it used to be, a lot of the new intakes have to have remedial classes in reading, writing and arithmetic alongside their courses... should these people be in Higher Education?

When with a class of trade apprentices I always tell them to be proud and that they will spend their lives making things and contributing to society irrespective of what others working in call centres and such might say. As a part time freelance teacher I always got the Friday afternoon trigonometry lesson with the joinery apprentices after they had been in the pub over the road! Happy days.

2 hours ago, stevieb said:

I feel like we need a new thread based on an old classic... 

Favourite way to kill a prostitute

Offer to perform a backroom abortion, then hoodwink them into breathing in gas from the cooker, when incapacitated from the gas interfere with them, then strangle them with a length of rope...

If rumbled blame an illiterate Welsh simpleton as the culprit and the job's a good 'un.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Offer to perform a backroom abortion, then hoodwink them into breathing in gas from the cooker, when incapacitated from the gas interfere with them, then strangle them with a length of rope...

If rumbled blame an illiterate Welsh simpleton as the culprit and the job's a good 'un.

Fucking hell, Youri, you’ve really thought about this.