Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

And right there is the issue. Everybody is measuring the proposed success of it in different ways. Some will never be happy also no matter what. It’s just human nature 

Get me my deliveries, and let me deliver to Eire, and you can all quibble over the haddock until you're hoarse.

We all want different things so I suppose you're right in a way.

Mounts wants to sit in Spain with a smug grin, a sense of imperialistic superiority and a union jack hat, Bolty wants to upset liberals and imagine Belgians crying into the moules et frites. They're retiring soon and couldn't give a fuck so long as they get to grin at Spanish waiters like they've just bummed their mothers. 

Farrelli wants it all to collapse around us. 

Me and you just want some stuff to turn up on time. 

In reality, I know we won't be any better off, but we're at the stage where even the hardcore brexit mob are declaring that things not dying on their arse will be a victory. 

It's 13 working days until this all goes live and it looks like it'll be 2 or 3 before we fully understand if things will turn up.

7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

And right there is the issue. Everybody is measuring the proposed success of it in different ways. Some will never be happy also no matter what. It’s just human nature 

I have heard that after the deal is announced there will be a National on line poll to grade the result 1-10. With 1 being Maggie is turning in her grave to 10 being Churchill salutes you. 
The Govt is  looking at 6.2 as cut off for a great deal although this maybe adjusted for seasonal factors. 
Voting is already opening for anyone wanting to give 1,2,9, or 10 as they won’t be changing their mind whatever the deal. 

Agree it’s far from palatable that we are so close to the wire. As I eluded to the other day I’ve got significant contracts that are in limbo whilst my customers wait for some clarity. We need that and need it ASAP. 

If a deal is done which I think most of us realistically think will happen, it’s going to be bumpy for a while of that there is no doubt. 

I’m just hoping once (if) it is done we can get back to something like normal in terms of supply chains etc asap. 

12 minutes ago, Spider said:

Eeek

Well I hope you're right, but I think you're likely to be disappointed in the deal.

Whilst I'm 99% a deal will be done, I suspect the UK will give more ground than the baddies.

All that matters to me is deliveries to and from the EU. Beyond that I no longer give a fuck about the flagshaggers on one side, and the foamy-mouthe Euro weirdos on the other.

For you, and everyone else, but especially you, I Hope deliveries work.

1 minute ago, Ani said:

I have heard that after the deal is announced there will be a National on line poll to grade the result 1-10. With 1 being Maggie is turning in her grave to 10 being Churchill salutes you. 
The Govt is  looking at 6.2 as cut off for a great deal although this maybe adjusted for seasonal factors. 
Voting is already opening for anyone wanting to give 1,2,9, or 10 as they won’t be changing their mind whatever the deal. 

😂😂 your last sentence is absolutely on the money.  We appear to have people in each of those 4 segments on here with the rest of us falling anywhere else between. 

13 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Tune!

• Site Supporter

Thing is, this could have been sorted months ago. 

It's all very well being told to prepare.

Business works better when it knows what to prepare for.

This isn't a war or a pandemic, it's business.

They have their majority in parliament, they've had a deadline they've known about for years. 

Lazy cunts should have sorted it months ago. Whatever it was.

11 minutes ago, Spider said:

They have their majority in parliament, they've had a deadline they've known about for years. 

Takes two to tango

13 minutes ago, Spider said:

As BD says it isn’t a one way negotiation this 

• Site Supporter

Given the recent performances of our government, I know which side would likely have been willing to get round the table first.

It's taken Cummings to fuck off for us to get this far. If he was still around, we'd be going no deal for sure.

52 minutes ago, Spider said:

Get me my deliveries, and let me deliver to Eire, and you can all quibble over the haddock until you're hoarse.

We all want different things so I suppose you're right in a way.

Mounts wants to sit in Spain with a smug grin, a sense of imperialistic superiority and a union jack hat, Bolty wants to upset liberals and imagine Belgians crying into the moules et frites. They're retiring soon and couldn't give a fuck so long as they get to grin at Spanish waiters like they've just bummed their mothers. 

Farrelli wants it all to collapse around us. 

Me and you just want some stuff to turn up on time. 

In reality, I know we won't be any better off, but we're at the stage where even the hardcore brexit mob are declaring that things not dying on their arse will be a victory. 

It's 13 working days until this all goes live and it looks like it'll be 2 or 3 before we fully understand if things will turn up.

Since when ? You may be in danger of believing what other posters put on here.

A deal for me is absolutely essential to my business, I just don't trust the people supposedly delivering this for us, do you?

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Since when ? You may be in danger of believing what other posters put on here.

A deal for me is absolutely essential to my business, I just don't trust the people supposedly delivering this for us, do you?

No, I do not.

But frankly, I find it alarming that we rely on politicians for this type of thing anyway. 

Frost seems to be on his own and would make a perfect scapegoat for Johnson.

Sending a bloke who has a degree in remembering Latin to this doesn't really auger well for a crash hot deal.

9 minutes ago, Spider said:

Gut feeling is that it'll all be extended and they'll use Covid as a reason.

Probably spin it out until March. Or June. Or 2022.

If they can’t reach a suitable deal then they should do that. But they won’t. I would even got as far to talk about a banana and town hall steps in this regard. They simply won’t extend. Solely because Boris would be falling on his own sword which he isn’t going to do 

24 minutes ago, Spider said:

No, I do not.

But frankly, I find it alarming that we rely on politicians for this type of thing anyway. 

Frost seems to be on his own and would make a perfect scapegoat for Johnson.

Sending a bloke who has a degree in remembering Latin to this doesn't really auger well for a crash hot deal.

I think the whole referendum was poorly conceived, Cameron granted it to try and cement his own position pre-2015 election but opened a massive can of worms.  The fact the electorate was split more or less 50/50 just added to the problem and we have been in trouble since.  This was an astronomical transformation to our economical and trading position in europe after 40 odd years in the EU and it was never going to be easy to implement.  I truly hope Johnson can deliver a deal because the alternative is scary. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Spider said:

Was that addressed to the EU too?

Course not, only one party in the negotiations. 

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

If they can’t reach a suitable deal then they should do that. But they won’t. I would even got as far to talk about a banana and town hall steps in this regard. They simply won’t extend. Solely because Boris would be falling on his own sword which he isn’t going to do 

I think the opposite. 

Had to set a finite date or things drag on for ever.

However, I'm sure that if they agree a deal, they will also 'freeze' things as they are for a couple of months or so. Give companies all over time to implement changes.

They may actually have to anyway, as it has to be ratified by the EU members, and there may be insufficient time as it stands now.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think the opposite. 

Had to set a finite date or things drag on for ever.

However, I'm sure that if they agree a deal, they will also 'freeze' things as they are for a couple of months or so. Give companies all over time to implement changes.

They may actually have to anyway, as it has to be ratified by the EU members, and there may be insufficient time as it stands now.

The EU are also busy arguing about their budget for next year, and that's not going well.

So long as my orders turn up, the rest can swing

• Site Supporter
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just wait until the French fishermen are blockading their ports. Your deliveries will be fooked.

17million Brexit voters will be on the White Cliffs launching tons of rocks at them from catapults.

Nothing to worry about

3 hours ago, Escobarp said:

And some are so arbitrary and vague about what relative success and failure means that they'll never be able to be held to account! 😉