Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Don't need Miami, Google is on hand.

Clement Attlee's Labour government closed 101 pits between 1947 and 1951; Macmillan (Conservative) closed 246 pits between 1957 and 1963; Wilson (Labour) closed 253 in his two terms in office between 1964 and 1976; Heath (Conservative) closed 26 between 1970 and 1974; and Thatcher (Conservative) closed 115 between 1979 ...

Labour started it then. Shithouses

7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Don't need Miami, Google is on hand.

Clement Attlee's Labour government closed 101 pits between 1947 and 1951; Macmillan (Conservative) closed 246 pits between 1957 and 1963; Wilson (Labour) closed 253 in his two terms in office between 1964 and 1976; Heath (Conservative) closed 26 between 1970 and 1974; and Thatcher (Conservative) closed 115 between 1979 ...

You've missed the 55 John Major closed.

1 minute ago, Boby Brno said:

😊 Lots of figures that don’t all agree. At the end of the day, all governments closed pits. Maggie got all the blame though and Labour did it in a more humane way.

True. I know very little about the pit closures. Thatcher and nobody else is mentioned when anyone talks about them being closed.

18 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Soz, didn't expand it, seems like all parties closed pits. Its just unfortunate that the Conservatives are labelled as the only party responsible for closing them. More to it, like everything else.

End of the day, it decimated communities and things could have been handled a lot better.

Aye, very true.

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

The thing is Mick, Thatcher is labelled as the PM who decimated the mining industry, when in FACT, it was down to both political parties. 

I did my presentation on this when completing my Union qualification, i put a factual argument across, my tutor an ex-minor from Wiggin wasn't too impressed, however I passed.... obviously 🤓

We're all ex minors😃

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

The thing is Mick, Thatcher is labelled as the PM who decimated the mining industry, when in FACT, it was down to both political parties. 

I did my presentation on this when completing my Union qualification, i put a factual argument across, my tutor an ex-minor from Wiggin wasn't too impressed, however I passed.... obviously 🤓

But if you know that you also have to acknowledge one lot had a plan to support the communities the other to destroy the Unions, 

The plan to support communities may have been built on sand and the need to destroy the Unions might have been worth it but the motivation and method of the two were totally different. 

An agreement with the NUM and the government was for a plan for coal in 1974 after the oil crisis, only pits what were unviable got shut when it was useless keeping them open. Thatcher just shut them down out of spite with her hatred for the working class and spent millions of money to defeat the miners. If that witch could spend all that money in 84 to break us, this bozo in charge now is spending Billions.

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Basically as puts closed there was a plan to move people to work in other pits and provide incentives for businesses to invest in the area. 
If you read my comments on this I am not critical of Thatchers actions.

Do you really think the Labour Party of the 1970s would have been closing pits without the support of the Unions ? And as as such would need something to offer them. Equally do you think Thatcher would feel the need for the same ? 

Most of the pit closures under Labour were in the sixties. If they had been in power longer there would have been more. I don’t remember any plan for the communities at that time. The demise of the coal industry was as inevitable as the demise of the cotton industry for the same reasons, cheap imports.

12 hours ago, Spider said:

The bottom line is that there are two types of voter

The Idealogical type - you all know them. Red rosette on a pig gets Labour their vote; blue rosette on a hedge fund manager setting fire to an orphanage would still get a Tory vote. 

Then there are those who study manifesto’s, judge parties by their recent behaviour and vote according to their conscience.

the former type of voter I could probably spot on here easily enough.

The latter, not so simple.

I know which I’d rather be though.

Helps if you can spell ideological correctly

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Helps if you can spell ideological correctly

True dat.

Reassuring that we’re down to the grammar police as a riposte. 😻😻

Be a yawn emoji next.

🪜🪜🪜🪜🪜🪜

• Site Supporter

Typical of Boris to do half a job.

Doesnt say how high the bodies should be piled, no mention of structure to the pile itself (women and children on top, fat lads at the bottom), where the piles should be.

Proper half a job Harry

At least Tory darlings the Daily Mail have leapt to his defence oh:

Edited by Spider

28 minutes ago, L/H White said:

someone has a voice recording apparently

must have been heard if the rats at the mail have hung him out

It'll be fun for him if that recording exists and it get's played to the public, he'd have to resign. I have a feeling he's not long for the job now anyway, too many people out to get him it seems, and he's far from squeaky clean as we all know

Edited by Sweep