Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

As you well know trade deals don’t get agreed in 10 months. It’ll happen without a doubt…. They can even bring in chlorinated chicken if they wish. 

"Easiest trade deals in history" (Copyright: Team Brexit)

No politics to get in the way anymore, the democracy deniers have been pushed aside.

It's all on Boris' watch now.

2 years? 5? 10?

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

"Easiest trade deals in history" (Copyright: Team Brexit)

No politics to get in the way anymore, the democracy deniers have been pushed aside.

It's all on Boris' watch now.

2 years? 5? 10?

Not sure why I bother replying to you, you  post some utter tripe. ⬆️ 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

As you well know trade deals don’t get agreed in 10 months. It’ll happen without a doubt…. 

It will, it's just I guess not going to happen as quickly as it might have been inferred a year or two ago, and let's be honest it implied that it would be fairly easy and quick - already they're saying it might be 2025 before anything get's close to being agreed. It'll happen when it happens, anybody with half a brain knew we are in for several years of discomfort before things start to get better, if they didn't then they're fucking idiots. I'm also assuming those who voted to leave, did so knowing it was going to take a long time to get everything sorted (by "long time, I mean c10-15-20 years)  - some are happy with that, some aren't.

Anyway, it's done, it is what it is

As for the whole "chlorinated chicken" stuff, who cares if we start importing it, as long as it's marked in the packaging, then we have a choice. The scutters and poor people can buy it, and the rest of us can choose not to.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

Not sure why I bother replying you post some utter tripe. ⬆️ 

It's because you can't. As soon as your caught out "it's tripe! it's tripe!"

Don't worry, I'm used to it.

Phrases from Boris such as "There will be no checks on goods coming between NI and GB" are now coming back to haunt him.

He might make your willy tingle with his barefaced lies, but America aren't as thick.

9 minutes ago, Sweep said:

It will, it's just I guess not going to happen as quickly as it might have been inferred a year or two ago, and let's be honest it implied that it would be fairly easy and quick - already they're saying it might be 2025 before anything get's close to being agreed. It'll happen when it happens, anybody with half a brain knew we are in for several years of discomfort before things start to get better, if they didn't then they're fucking idiots. I'm also assuming those who voted to leave, did so knowing it was going to take a long time to get everything sorted (by "long time, I mean c10-15-20 years)  - some are happy with that, some aren't.

Anyway, it's done, it is what it is

As for the whole "chlorinated chicken" stuff, who cares if we start importing it, as long as it's marked in the packaging, then we have a choice. The scutters and poor people can buy it, and the rest of us can choose not to.

Do you trust our wonderful government to ensure accurate labelling of chicken and other goods is implemented ? They will be under massive pressure from US conglomerates.

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

We are also less relevant than we were since leaving the EU. See how Biden does not see a trade deal with the UK as a priority. We now find ourselves in a bit of limbo, another load of nonsense by Bozo and his brexit pals.

Ah Mr Farrelli. The man who makes Guy Verhofstadt look like a rabid Eurospeptic. 

Perhaps you could point us in the direction of the EU's trade deal with the USA? Where is it? Have we all missed it? 

While you are at it why don't you point us in the direction of the EU's trade deals with Australia and New Zealand (we've signed sealed and delivered one with the Aussies and the NZ one is having I's dotted and T's crossed).

Perhaps you could explain how the EUs talks with India are going compared to the large trade and investment deal with the UK agreed with India back in May https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-announces-1-billion-of-new-uk-india-trade . Talks on further deepening trade relations with India continue!

Perhaps you could say how EU membership would have allowed us to advance in negotiations to join the Trans-Pacific partnership and open up trade Brunei, Chile, Malaysia, Mexico, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam in addition to Japan, Australia and Canada with whom we already have deals? And we're working on deepening and enhancing the Canadian deal right now.

Perhaps you could explain how we bettered the agreement we had with Japan with our own bespoke deal?

An ambitious global trade policy and championing free-trade is what this breath of fresh air of post EU life is all about. It gathers pace

I don't expect you've ready much about it in the Guardian and even if you had your intense love affair with a bureaucratic monolith based in Brussels would mean you shrugged off any brief bout of cognitive dissonance.

Perhaps the French too will one day benefit from global free trade and acknowledging that the economic epicentre of the world is now in Asia ... once they get the chance to vote for Frexit. As a proud and ancient nation-state they too deserve to plough their own distinctive course and seek to reach their potential free of monotonous, stifling regulation and the dead-hand of ponderous bureaucracy. Vive La France - good luck to the lads and lasses the other side of the Channel and to all of the other nation states of Europe. Presidential election in France soon! 

Do try looking at the world as it is in 2021 instead of 1975. 

Edited by paulhanley

8 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Perhaps the French too will one day benefit from global free trade and acknowledging that the economic epicentre of the world is now in Asia ... once they get the chance to vote for Frexit. As a proud and ancient nation-state they too deserve to plough their own distinctive course and seek to reach their potential free of monotonous, stifling regulation and the dead-hand of ponderous bureaucracy. Vive La France - good luck to the lads and lasses the other side of the Channel and to all of the other nation states of Europe. Presidential election in France soon! 

You're not allowed to wish the French well or offer any sort of support for them. You have to hope that everything pisses them off, apparently.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Ah Mr Farrelli. The man who makes Guy Verhofstadt look like a rabid Eurospeptic. 

Perhaps you could point us in the direction of the EU's trade deal with the USA? Where is it? Have we all missed it? 

While you are at it why don't you point us in the direction of the EU's trade deals with Australia and New Zealand (we've signed sealed and delivered one with the Aussies and the NZ one is having I's dotted and T's crossed).

Perhaps you could explain how the EUs talks with India are going compared to the large trade and investment deal with the UK agreed with India back in May https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-announces-1-billion-of-new-uk-india-trade . Talks on further deepening trade relations with India continue!

Perhaps you could say how EU membership would have allowed us to advance in negotiations to join the Trans-Pacific partnership and open up trade Brunei, Chile, Malaysia, Mexico, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam in addition to Japan, Australia and Canada with whom we already have deals? And we're working on deepening and enhancing the Canadian deal right now.

Perhaps you could explain how we bettered the agreement we had with Japan with our own bespoke deal?

An ambitious global trade policy and championing free-trade is what this breath of fresh air of post EU life is all about. It gathers pace

I don't expect you've ready much about it in the Guardian and even if you had your intense love affair with a bureaucratic monolith based in Brussels would mean you shrugged off any brief bout of cognitive dissonance.

Do try looking at the world as it is in 2021 instead of 1975. 

Who'll get a trade deal first, do you think? the EU or Team GB?

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

You're not allowed to wish the French well or offer any sort of support for them. You have to hope that everything pisses them off, apparently.

Well I do. The would prosper hugely outside of the EU and their improved economic prospects would make them an even more valuable trading partner for us.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

Who'll get a trade deal first, do you think? the EU or Team GB?

I hope we both get one. However we probably stand more of a chance simply because every time the EU tries to negotiate a deal one of its 27 members objects to something and it stalls. In a nutshell that's the beauty of having your own trade policy - you can make it bespoke to your own needs and crack on.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I hope we both get one. However we probably stand more of a chance simply because every time the EU tries to negotiate a deal one of its 27 members objects to something and it stalls. In a nutshell that's the beauty of having your own trade policy - you can make it bespoke to your own needs and crack on.

I also hope you're right.

It's amazing though how quickly certainty has turned into hope.

"I'm not angry, Paul, I'm just disappointed"

1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

And the French have been allies for nigh on as long as Australia has existed.

Yup, also the French aciene regime propped up our monarchs. Without them there would have been on restoration and Bolty and his ilk would have no one to doff their caps to. 

What the most patriotic of us forget is that France was the major European power for the formation of the political boundaries of the continent. Despite our good natured ribbing we share more history, similarities, and close ties than anyone other than possibly Germany. Including the US.

As for Australia, a legacy of a forgotten empire. Most people in the UK wouldn't even be able to name the PM such is their importance to us as a country.

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

I also hope you're right.

It's amazing though how quickly certainty has turned into hope.

"I'm not angry, Paul, I'm just disappointed"

We've improved our trading position considerably since Brexit and there's more to come, See my previous post.

If you like the EUs way of doing things then join forces with 27 of your neighbours, negotiate bulk-buying of your shopping and see how often your fridge is full of exactly what you and your family need and desire. It doesn't work. It didn't work for us and it doesn't work for the 27. And that's a big contributory factor to why the EU has been the slowest growing part of the world this last 30 years. 

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

We've improved our trading position considerably since Brexit and there's more to come, See my previous post.

If you like the EUs way of doing things then join forces with 27 of your neighbours, negotiate bulk-buying of your shopping and see how often your fridge is full of exactly what you and your family need and desire. It doesn't work. It didn't work for us and it doesn't work for the 27. And that's a big contributory factor to why the EU has been the slowest growing part of the world this last 30 years. 

That's a proper shit analogy.