Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The number (in thousands) of inaccurate crystal balls still in circulation.

21 days to go!

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

21 days to go!

Perhaps I should have quoted Farrelli, as it was meant to be a retort to the negativity! :)

Anyway, dunno if you caught any of TM's Grimsby speech. Nowt new really, a bit of an appeal to all parties, including the EU to stop playing silly buggers and sort it.

A big ticking off for JC too.

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I see Barniers been tweeting away regarding the back stop. Looks like they are going over old ground and looking to separate Northern Ireland and rest of the U.K.  

And he if came into Retreat tonight spouting shite about the backstop, I’d say Oi Barnier, non, you might be some kind of unelected bureaucratic piece of shite, but you are still getting it, cunt.

On 08/03/2019 at 16:18, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Anyway, dunno if you caught any of TM's Grimsby speech. Nowt new really, a bit of an appeal to all parties, including the EU to stop playing silly buggers and sort it.

A big ticking off for JC too.

If I’m honest first time I’ve heard her say anything that properly resonates

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

If I’m honest first time I’ve heard her say anything that properly resonates

It was along the same lines as previously, but appealed more to everyone to come together. I think the digs at JC and comments about upholding the vote, were perhaps the very early stages of electioneering, should it come to that.

• Site Supporter

I don't think she possesses the character/personality to carry off some sort of Churchillian masterpiece of a speech, and I think she does well not to try. That said I think she speaks well in a measured tone, not screeching like some in parliament, and with a great deal more intelligence.

I also reckon she's naffed off with the whole thing!

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I don't think she possesses the character/personality to carry off some sort of Churchillian masterpiece of a speech, and I think she does well not to try. That said I think she speaks well in a measured tone, not screeching like some in parliament, and with a great deal more intelligence.

I also reckon she's naffed off with the whole thing!

You have to remember she didn’t want to leave. Fair fucks to her sticking around and seeing it through. I think personally she deserves huge plaudits. 

• Members
4 hours ago, leigh white said:

The government will suffer another crushing defeat on Tuesday. I don't think anybody know's how to get us out of this mess.

If the EU want to play hard ball, no deal, WTO rules, get over the initial pain and then grow and prosper.

Treacherous dogs in Parliament defying the will of the people expressed in the biggest turnout in history are all that stand in the way.

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

If the EU want to play hard ball, no deal, WTO rules, get over the initial pain and then grow and prosper.

Treacherous dogs in Parliament defying the will of the people expressed in the biggest turnout in history are all that stand in the way.

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Maybe WTO is the only way from here

The WA is a bad deal

https://brexitcentral.com/i-told-straight-brussels-eus-alternative-backstop-customs-union/

I wait, with interest, to see which way Chris Green votes this week. Have the ERG been blackmailed?

9 hours ago, leigh white said:

The government will suffer another crushing defeat on Tuesday. I don't think anybody know's how to get us out of this mess.

The default position has already been set out and voted through by parliament, and that’s to leave on the 29th without a deal. The shithousery of MPs means something they have already agreed , they won’t enact. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Talk that May could pull meaningful vote today since as expected the EU haven't given her close to a legal guarantee (since they haven't the ability to do so). If she pulls it there is a chance this could trigger a no confidence motion in the government that the government would very possibly lose. 

Then a general election. But the mess would be further compounded that May would have to resign....

Surely she will just go ahead with the vote, lose and then try another one later....I don't see what she has to gain by a postponement that will go down like a lead balloon?

Edited by bwfcfan5

27 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Talk that May could pull meaningful vote today since as expected the EU haven't given her close to a legal guarantee (since they haven't the ability to do so). If she pulls it there is a chance this could trigger a no confidence motion in the government that the government would very possibly lose. 

Then a general election. But the mess would be further compounded that May would have to resign....

Surely she will just go ahead with the vote, lose and then try another one later....I don't see what she has to gain by a postponement that will go down like a lead balloon?

Can’t see (even) her pulling the “meaningful” vote.

She’s in for another pounding in the Chamber

3 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Can’t see (even) her pulling the “meaningful” vote.

She’s in for another pounding in the Chamber

I can't see why she would. Talk she might "downgrade it" to another "advisory" vote.....but that surely risks chaos as likelihood increases the government would lose a vote of no confidence. 

7 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I can't see why she would. Talk she might "downgrade it" to another "advisory" vote.....but that surely risks chaos as likelihood increases the government would lose a vote of no confidence. 

I also can’t see her losing a vote of no confidence, it needs a huge swing, I think.

it’s going to be interesting, for sure.