Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

29 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

MPs had a democratic vote on Mays deal and rejected it, they then had another vote yesterday on the same deal and rejected it again, and now talk of when push comes to shove having a 3rd vote on the same deal, it that ok with you ?

It is. It’s Completely different scenario. 

5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It is. It’s Completely different scenario. 

You said you liked Mays deal (even though you admitted you hadn't fully read it), provided a tweak to the backstop was made - will you be satisfied if it gets voted though next time? - even though it hasn't changed from the deal that you wanted "tweaked"  -  I'd like to think, at this stage, you'll finally admit that it's not going "as planned" now, and it is a bit of a shit storm

I heard Boris on the radio this morning, and he reckons that at the 11th hour, the EU will "blink" first and then give in. Fingers crossed that does happen  - otherwise we could find ourselves either leaving and going WTO, or extending A50  -  an extension to A50 would be farcical, and could end up with us ultimately not leaving, which would be utterly ridiculous

16 minutes ago, Sweep said:

You said you liked Mays deal (even though you admitted you hadn't fully read it), provided a tweak to the backstop was made - will you be satisfied if it gets voted though next time? - even though it hasn't changed from the deal that you wanted "tweaked"  -  I'd like to think, at this stage, you'll finally admit that it's not going "as planned" now, and it is a bit of a shit storm

I heard Boris on the radio this morning, and he reckons that at the 11th hour, the EU will "blink" first and then give in. Fingers crossed that does happen  - otherwise we could find ourselves either leaving and going WTO, or extending A50  -  an extension to A50 would be farcical, and could end up with us ultimately not leaving, which would be utterly ridiculous

I said from very early that we’d most likely need to drop out without a deal to get the best deal so I agree with Johnson. 

Sadly I think the cowards in parliament will take no deal off the table ( I do know this vote is only advisory... at the moment)  guaranteeing a worse deal than it need be. There will be a deal as I’ve said all along. 

I do hope there is carnage at the next election for those MPs who refused to carry through their constituents wishes in parliament. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

19 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I said from very early that we’d most likely need to drop out without a deal to get the best deal so I agree with Johnson. 

Sadly I think the cowards in parliament will take no deal off the table ( I do know this vote is only advisory... at the moment)  guaranteeing a worse deal than it need be. There will be a deal as I’ve said all along. 

I do hope there is carnage at the next election for those MPs who refused to carry through their constituents wishes in parliament. 

Parliament will definitely take "No Deal" off the table, which will fuck us right up, and play right into the EUs hands....sadly

You'd like to think there will be carnage at the next GE, but the same people who have always voted Labour because their Dad did, will still vote Labour again (and the same for the other side as well) - and we'll keep going around in circles. The huge majority of them will still keep their jobs unfortunately

I know Miami likes to harp on about the "visionaries" who voted to leave.....but I bet they didn't envision this dogs dinner when they entered the ballot box 😉

1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

Sorry, with due respect to the honourable Gentleman

He is just a liar

We want a this, we want a that. He just wants to stay in the EU.

Starmer has been clear from the outset what his personal views are despite ridiculous pressure from others on his front bench.

You don’t have to agree with him but he’d be a better leader than Corbyn or May put together. 

22 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Starmer has been clear from the outset what his personal views are despite ridiculous pressure from others on his front bench.

You don’t have to agree with him but he’d be a better leader than Corbyn or May put together. 

The guy who stood at the despatch box and said Labour wouldn't vote for 'the deal' - despite the fact thay May & Juncker were still in discussions at the time ?

The guy who went off-script and announced at conference that Remain would be on the second referendum, despite that this was against policy at the time ?

thy guy who does what he wants to do, and fuck the rest ?

16 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

The guy who stood at the despatch box and said Labour wouldn't vote for 'the deal' - despite the fact thay May & Juncker were still in discussions at the time ?

The guy who went off-script and announced at conference that Remain would be on the second referendum, despite that this was against policy at the time ?

And to say starmer is better option as leader than Corbyn, that’s the definition of tallest dwarf. 

1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Because their main objections to the deal is the lack of clarity in the political declaration and that was not changing and everyone knew that.

As for the rest he’s a guy who stands by his own principles. And has fought his own front bench and compelled them to honour their conference pledges. Which is more leadership than anyone else is showing.

7 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Because their main objections to the deal is the lack of clarity in the political declaration and that was not changing and everyone knew that.

As for the rest he’s a guy who stands by his own principles. And has fought his own front bench and compelled them to honour their conference pledges. Which is more leadership than anyone else is showing.

Principles?

“Tell you what, I believe in the principles of democracy and, whilst I think it may be the wrong thing for the country, it’s what the country decided, so I’ll go with it”

that is principled.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Principles?

“Tell you what, I believe in the principles of democracy and, whilst I think it may be the wrong thing for the country, it’s what the country decided, so I’ll go with it”

that is principled.

Indeed.

Comment recently accusing the government of ignoring the democratic wish of the house.

I missed the reasoning behind it, and whilst it may be true, can't help raising a wry smile at the irony and indeed schadenfreuder.

Fuck em.

Tory party is now in a complete state.

The government amendment to rule out no deal on 29th was amended unexpectedly as in spite of them whipping Spellman into withdrawing the motion, Cooper still pushed it. Everyone thought it would lose big. It won. Meaning the motion now ruled out no deal full stop, no 

Then this meant the government had to whip against their own amended motion (one they’d previously promised a free vote on). 4 cabinet minister abstained as did a lot of other junior ministers and it meant the motion passed. Normally abstaining on a 3 line whip is instant sacking. But that would mean May has to sack 4 of her cabinet including Amber Rudd her close ally. 

Mogg is demanding they are sacked.

What a complete mess. Surely a GE might not be a bad idea. Labour cannot win and it might just shake enough up to get out of this mess?

Something's got to give surely? 

Imagine where we could have been if we'd not spent the past couple of years fucking about with this?

I've said before - I wanted the stay in. But if we were coming out then we might as well have come properly out.

Seen as that's now not possible - I'd rather stay in. What a fucking horrible mess.

17 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Tory party is now in a complete state.

The government amendment to rule out no deal on 29th was amended unexpectedly as in spite of them whipping Spellman into withdrawing the motion, Cooper still pushed it. Everyone thought it would lose big. It won. Meaning the motion now ruled out no deal full stop, no 

Then this meant the government had to whip against their own amended motion (one they’d previously promised a free vote on). 4 cabinet minister abstained as did a lot of other junior ministers and it meant the motion passed. Normally abstaining on a 3 line whip is instant sacking. But that would mean May has to sack 4 of her cabinet including Amber Rudd her close ally. 

Mogg is demanding they are sacked.

What a complete mess. Surely a GE might not be a bad idea. Labour cannot win and it might just shake enough up to get out of this mess?

It needs to be passed into law before it supercedes the current statute so at the moment it is only advisory at this stage. I have a feeling May will bring her deal back to Parliament and try and get it through in the next few days. The ERG have had a terrible last 48 hrs and are in danger of losing everything... May just might get her way after all

7 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

It needs to be passed into law before it supercedes the current statute so at the moment it is only advisory at this stage. I have a feeling May will bring her deal back to Parliament and try and get it through in the next few days. The ERG have had a terrible last 48 hrs and are in danger of losing everything... May just might get her way after all

The government motion for tomorrow practically confirms May will bring her deal back by 20th March. Since it states ‘if deal agreed by 20th March then Government will seek extension of A50 till 30th June in order to pass exit legislation’.

Given 20th is a week away only deal can be May’s deal. If deal isn’t agreed by 20th then plan is for government to seek ‘long extension’.

This is the plan, bounce the ERG into voting for deal and exit at end of June. Otherwise threaten a long, long delay. I think it will probably work and she will get her deal through, but tonight has made it harder since whilst some ERG members say they will vote for her deal now in fear of no Brexit, others say they would rather vote it down and force her out because they are so annoyed about cabinet ministers defying the whip and seemingly getting away with it.

Whole thing is a mess. I think she has a chance with her deal but will likely have to promise to resign afterwards to get ERG on side. 

10 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

I agree she has actually inadvertently got folk possibly where she needs them backs against the wall and will get her deal passed. 

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

You didn't see Steve Baker in the last hour then.

He stood up and categorically told her not to bother, as the erg would never vote for it.

A bluff maybe, but I don't think so. She'll need bigger changes- they're not having the backstop.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You didn't see Steve Baker in the last hour then.

He stood up and categorically told her not to bother, as the erg would never vote for it.

A bluff maybe, but I don't think so. She'll need bigger changes- they're not having the backstop.

Splits in the ERG though according to the twitterati...splits everywhere now.

Just now, birch-chorley said:

Let’s just take May’s deal and move on ffs 

We could waste another ten years on this and the deal wouldn’t look very different 

Let’s get on with running the country 

This. But think she will have to resign now to give it a real chance. Which of course is an inevitability soon anyway. 

2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The government motion for tomorrow practically confirms May will bring her deal back by 20th March. Since it states ‘if deal agreed by 20th March then Government will seek extension of A50 till 30th June in order to pass exit legislation’.

Given 20th is a week away only deal can be May’s deal. If deal isn’t agreed by 20th then plan is for government to seek ‘long extension’.

This is the plan, bounce the ERG into voting for deal and exit at end of June. Otherwise threaten a long, long delay. I think it will probably work and she will get her deal through, but tonight has made it harder since whilst some ERG members say they will vote for her deal now in fear of no Brexit, others say they would rather vote it down and force her out because they are so annoyed about cabinet ministers defying the whip and seemingly getting away with it.

Whole thing is a mess. I think she has a chance with her deal but will likely have to promise to resign afterwards to get ERG on side. 

It will be tight for sure and the DUP will pay for their intransigence. The irony of this whole mess is that we will get a trade deal of sorts with the EU so the backstop will not be required. That deal is now more likely to be a soft Brexit and no one will get what they want. 

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That was clear yesterday. Not sure they'll split enough, and may even galvanise if they feel bullied.

And Twitter is Bollocks.

DUP also said earlier that she shouldn’t bring her deal back and if was ‘dead’. But some suggesting they could come on board, which would bring ERG...seems that May might have to offer to resign following vote to get ERG sufficiently on board.