Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers 1-2 Derby

little whitt

I'm not sure why pratley gets singled out again after today?

Me either. He did pass the ball backwards a few times today - but on nearly every occasion it was because there was no pass on, and it was more often than not when he was deep anyway. My guess is that it was probably an instruction he had been given by Parky which is something a lot of people don't seem to take into account. I'd give him 5/10 today - like I would most of the rest of the side.

• Site Supporter

Was away for the Leeds game and couldn't make it today so I've not seen them yet.

I was told they seemed scared against Leeds and way off today.

Is the effort there from the players?

I was hoping that we might have started to play a bit more but it seems the long ball is still the starting point.

Interestingly, despite Taylor being so good last year, I did feel he was a little slow, and without adequate cover may be exposed- the benefit of a spearing type.

Still feel that the main problem is midfield though, insufficient skill, technical ability, and ability to get about the park in a meaningful manner.

• Moderators

We need to be more attack minded at home

The line up clearly works away from home but we can't keep falling 2 behind at home before bringing more forward thinking players on

Having ameobi fit might help

As might starting Buckley

If he could I reckon he'd prefer 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 at home similar to last season

But today's middle 3 did fuck all

Should try something different v weds

I don't like admitting it,but we miss Spearing in the middle of the park.

Still would have got hammered today though.

I can't see Spearing making a difference personally. Thinking back to the 3 dwarves routine with Medo and Mavies in the championship getting battered week in week out. Derby had some serious units today and they could play a bit.

Their 4-5 passes from the back created a chance, our 4-5 passes from the back stayed at the back.

We need to get back to going long to madine regularly.

We've tried the passing game but simply don't have the ability or the coach to implement it.

Let's get back to building off madines knock downs and balls from there.

Today we tried passing through them but couldn't get beyond the half way line. When we did go long it was when we'd passed ourselves in to a corner and dervite did his usual shanked 5 iron roughly toward madine and the team wasn't anywhere near him.

Edited by Eavesy

I looked at Derbys team before the game and thought that it was a great team for this league. Plenty of prem experience

There are some good teams in this league, but we have to be more compact and solid. Straight from the off you could see we were far too open.

Keep it tight and get rid of 5 at the back and we will get chances in games. Carry on and it could be worse than 2 seasons ago

We need to get back to going long to madine regularly.

We've tried the passing game but simply don't have the ability or the coach to implement it.

Let's get back to building off madines knock downs and balls from there.

Today we tried passing through them but couldn't get beyond the half way line. When we did go long it was when we'd passed ourselves in to a corner and dervite did his usual shanked 5 iron roughly toward madine and the team wasn't anywhere near him.

From what I've seen of us this season we've gone long for Madine more often than not

If you look at that stats from last season Madine only got 4 assists which would indicate we don't score many from his knock downs. Whilst it allows us to get out of our half its not going to generate enough goals to get us anywhere near safe

Morais on the other hand got 13 assists in half a season and has looked useful at this level so far for me

If we can get more out of the Middle & back three then hopefully we can get the ball out wide a bit more for Morais and whoever might be on the left to feed crosses in for the two strikers to feed off

First half we were too slow and ponderous - no movement. We have started too many first halves poorly. We have been far too cautious and respectful of the opposition. There wasn't a tackle in the first half that was worthy of the name. We need to come out all guns blazing. The teams we've seen so far play expansive games with players playing wide and spread out. They gamble on the ability of their players. We are trying to play a very compact tight game - the opposite.

The defending for both goals was atrocious. In fact there was more atrocious defending when they didn't, but should have, scored. Andre Wisdom waltzed through without anyone laying a hand on him.

We had three at the back and two defensive midfielders sitting right next to them. Five players in a small area leaves too much space in the rest of the field. We needed another midfielder further up the pitch. Huddlestone controlled the game without breaking into a sweat! He needed to hounded whenever he thought about touching the ball.

Pratley is not a scapegoat, he is playing very poorly. He runs about lot but achieves nothing. His first touch is very poor that it takes him off in the wrong direction or he loses the ball. We need some creativity in that position. I would much prefer Buckley there at the moment. Cullen had no movement ahead of him and so passes forward were always going to be difficult, but he was sitting to deep with Karacan.

Armstrong did himself no favours and ALF showed that he didn't like being sub when he got on.

Derby worked out that our method of attack was to get the ball to Morais. They cut this out very quickly. This should have left more space on the left - we didn't use it. Robinson might have been a better bet to exploit that width once we were losing.

We are going to be less talented than many of the teams we play so we need to make up for that by enthusiasm, aggression and a high pace game. Today we had very little of it.

Thank goodness we've got another game on Tuesday!