Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Half Marathon Cancelled

Mike Hunt

My guess is that the organisers knew the fee but as the number of entries is low they were looking at a fat loss so have pulled the event.

I did it last year and wasn't going to do it again, the general feeling from out of towners was it is a poor course so I expect a lot of them hadn't booked again.

• Site Supporter

Wonder if they bill Ironman UK for the various road closures or do the millions of tourist pounds make up for that?

Talking about road closures, it seems a lot of road works these days require complete road closure to be completed. I wonder if it means the contractor needs to pay to have road blocks up rather than light-controlled systems.

• Site Supporter

Wonder if they bill Ironman UK for the various road closures or do the millions of tourist pounds make up for that?

Talking about road closures, it seems a lot of road works these days require complete road closure to be completed. I wonder if it means the contractor needs to pay to have road blocks up rather than light-controlled systems.

you have to pay for both, but a road closure is more expensive due to the legal order required, which includes the need to advertise it usually.

Why don't each individual contestant just run to the town hall square and the finish line from their home, then no road closures necessary. If the distance between the two points falls short of the 13.1 miles necessary then they can make up the shortfall by running round and round the square, if the distance between home and town is more then they can run round and round the square in an anti-clockwise direction to 'delete' the excess miles...

All runners must wear an alarm clock around their neck on string, like Flavour Flavour, to prevent cheating.

you have to pay for both, but a road closure is more expensive due to the legal order required, which includes the need to advertise it usually.

Aye everyone from highways contractors working for the council to the gas board fixing the pipes has to pay for road closure for road works.

Ironman pay for their closures too but with entrants from all over the globe paying a fair whack to participate they easily cover their costs.

The costs will be easily available and unless the half marathon organiser's have changed the route dramatically they won't have shot up by the amounts claimed.

The costs will be easily available and unless the half marathon organiser's have changed the route dramatically they won't have shot up by the amounts claimed.

Same route as last years event so it does look like no blame can be laid at the council's door on this one.

Froggle should be good at dodging traffic...

I bet I could do a half marathon now, without training and in my carpet slippers (if I owned any) - this isn't a boast as I bet most folk could actually - therefore the only real reason for doing one would probably be attention-seeking...

...and charity I suppose.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Why don't each individual contestant just run to the town hall square and the finish line from their home, then no road closures necessary. If the distance between the two points falls short of the 13.1 miles necessary then they can make up the shortfall by running round and round the square, if the distance between home and town is more then they can run round and round the square in an anti-clockwise direction to 'delete' the excess miles...

All runners must wear an alarm clock around their neck on string, like Flavour Flavour, to prevent cheating.

Couple of treadmills on the town hall square, orderly queues to have your turn and Clifford with a stopwatch and clipboard. 1k all in. Will take a couple of weeks to do. Simples.

Council suddenly want £27k for the toad closures despite a previous agreement. Absolute farce, you only have to look at Wigan 10k next week to see the benefit these events bring to a town.

Wonder who's pocket that fee was for?......

Would a 10k bring much into a town seeing as pretty much every town has one these days?