Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

German Folk.

leigh white

• Site Supporter

Had a week near Dresden in 1991. Not long after the wall came down. A weeks training at a chemical manufacturer.

Was treated like a god, folk couldn't do enough for you. Food excellent and decent wine.

River Elbe was utterly filthy though, everything went in it and the banks were strewn with used condoms. Shame.

Presume its much improved now.

Had a week near Dresden in 1991. Not long after the wall came down. A weeks training at a chemical manufacturer.

Was treated like a god, folk couldn't do enough for you. Food excellent and decent wine.

River Elbe was utterly filthy though, everything went in it and the banks were strewn with used condoms. Shame.

Presume its much improved now.

The train ride from Prague to Dresden is superb. It follows the route of the Vltava/Elbe.

I've been to Germany on business and now for pleasure and the people are great.

I've been in the company of Germans and Czechs on many occasions and we used to joke about each nationality and we came to a conclusion.

We Brits. thought we were the best, the Germans knew they were the best and the Czechs couldn't give a f**k!

Never been to Germany. I really need to get my act together and get over there

Used to work for BASF who were based in Ludwigshafen and all the Germans I met via work were absolutely top notch. Watched the Euro 96 semi with about a dozen of them in a hotel in the arse end of Glasgow which was an experience to say the least

Holidaying Germans are a different breed though. Very strange though they at least appear normal compared to the Ruskies who appear to have had their wiring soldered together by a 6 year old

Edited by MancWanderer

• Site Supporter

Worked in Germany in summer 1976 on the building site's I'd just come out of my apprenticeship,it was very much like the Auf Wiedersehen tv series.I was in a town called Bielefeld looking back you think you know everything but your a bit naive at 19 or at least i was.Got on well with the younger locals but at the time sensed some resentment from the older end.Had some great adventures loads of beer they used to deliver it to the site and drink it like we drink tea a local lad also showed us how to send any fat lads we could find into the chemist shop where they would sell him amphetamine in a sort of liquid medicine form for diet aid had some laughs with that.Spent every penny I earned ballooning around ,one funny incident happened at work the locals used to bring wonderful soups and stews to work for dinner me and the lad had nowt and were starving we'd blown all our money on the piss so he went and robbed a local supermarket he got a loaf and tub of marge and a jar of those little pickled onions,we proceeded to spread the marge with a pointing trowel put an onion in each corner one in the middle and hey presto a butty they looked at us as if we were mental,happy days

• Site Supporter

On the subject of Nazi's off to Southport airshow today to see two major players in their downfall the Spitfire and the mighty Lancaster "they sowed the wind now let them reap the whilwind " tally _ho

Who is talking about Nazi's?

They were mentioned way back in the thread before I did .

There's a few Nazis on here according to certain folk.........

Personally always found the Germans decent folk.

One I met in Majorca was a drunken pervert, always flashing his pecker.

Was a good lad was Gert Knobout.

Don't think the single mention of Nazis was pertaining to labelling Germans rather than the perceived politics of one or two posters on here. HTH.