Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Ashes

L/H White

seriously considering getting up at 3:30

Alarm went off at 3am. Reset it for 3.28am when I realised they weren't starting. Lay in bed watching it. What a complete pile of toss! But fair play to their bowlers. Did a job on us.

Malan was the key wicket last night. Broke up the partnership and had us on the rack from the off.

Still debatable whether Woakes hit it or not, but swings and roundabouts I guess.

Some pretty poor umpiring decisions so far.

Alarm went off at 3am. Reset it for 3.28am when I realised they weren't starting. Lay in bed watching it. What a complete pile of toss! But fair play to their bowlers. Did a job on us.

Malan was the key wicket last night. Broke up the partnership and had us on the rack from the off.

Still debatable whether Woakes hit it or not, but swings and roundabouts I guess.

Some pretty poor umpiring decisions so far.

I stayed in bed, right decison

will they change it up the next test, or will they take the positives out of this one and stay unchanged?

The key decision was not batting first, the question needs asking why did Root bowl first given the stats we average 400 when batting first and about 250 batting second.

Key was when Stokes decided to go out for a night in Bristol

• Members

Rugby union doing well and hockey lads not bad. Not much to crow about though.

What about the footballing successes of our young lads? They didn't bottle it.

All part of the great cycle - our turn in the limelight will come again.

What about the footballing successes of our young lads? They didn't bottle it.

All part of the great cycle - our turn in the limelight will come again.

We are serial underachievers. Every other European nation of our size has won more football tournaments and done so away from home.

• Members

We are serial underachievers. Every other European nation of our size has won more football tournaments and done so away from home.

Have to agree. I put it down to weight of expectation and a pathetic appointment policy by the FA in only employing managers who won't rock the boat or cause an international incident.

Exhibit no. 1 - Brian Clough.

Have to agree. I put it down to weight of expectation and a pathetic appointment policy by the FA in only employing managers who won't rock the boat or cause an international incident.

Exhibit no. 1 - Brian Clough.

The FA certainly don't help, but I think it goes beyond who is managing the National side, a lot of the damage is done years before.......is a large part of it not also down to an incredible lack of talent, and this is due to a real lack of investment in grass roots  and youth level football, and the fact that the PL has come into existence, which has so much money, that clubs are no longer willing to develop their own players, when they can now afford to buy in a ready made player from foreign shores?  -  it's a bit ridiculous that clubs in the PL can field a team with very few english players, and nobody bats an eyelid anymore

Our bowling attack is cat piss, we have no firer power, Curren, not good enough YET.

Should have taken Plunkett, bar Stokes he's most aggressive bowler we have, Look at Tremlett a few years ago is Oz, he was mustard.

I can't see us winning a test, although it wont' be five nil, could easily be 3 or 4.

I've changed my mind, be 5 nowt this.

• Members

The FA certainly don't help, but I think it goes beyond who is managing the National side, a lot of the damage is done years before.......is a large part of it not also down to an incredible lack of talent, and this is due to a real lack of investment in grass roots  and youth level football, and the fact that the PL has come into existence, which has so much money, that clubs are no longer willing to develop their own players, when they can now afford to buy in a ready made player from foreign shores?  -  it's a bit ridiculous that clubs in the PL can field a team with very few english players, and nobody bats an eyelid anymore

So are we seeing some of this being redressed? Success by our young uns, German clubs signing young English players etc.?

So are we seeing some of this being redressed? Success by our young uns, German clubs signing young English players etc.?

Fingers crossed we are, and it's not just a flash in the pan - Nice to see that Phil Foden started for Man City the other night. Hopefully we will see some of these young England players progress, and not just disappear into the ether

England's Jonny Bairstow says he will "take matters further" if Australia's sledging in the Ashes "crossed the line" again.

Wicketkeeper Bairstow, 28, said he was targeted during the first Test in Brisbane but did not reveal the nature of the words directed towards him.

Have they been saying things about his Dad?

England's Jonny Bairstow says he will "take matters further" if Australia's sledging in the Ashes "crossed the line" again.

Wicketkeeper Bairstow, 28, said he was targeted during the first Test in Brisbane but did not reveal the nature of the words directed towards him.

Have they been saying things about his Dad?

Wouldn't put it past that little shit Warner.

If so he needs a lump of willow wrapping round his earhole.

• Members

They are really horrible cunts with the sledging. There's humour when the Windies, England, India etc. do it but these fuckers regularly cross the line and are proud of it.

Was always going to be the case under Steve Smith who is real nasty piece of work.