Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Foods You Really Detest

MancWanderer

• Site Supporter

Maybe he had the soup first.

You make a good point.

Blue cheese on charcoal biscuits - Christmas staple!

Charcoal biscuits? Now I'm a fan of using McVities chocolate digestives as biscuits with Lancashire cheese so I guess it could work with a decent blue as well. So is charcoal autocorrect for chocolate or is there a charcoal biscuit you could eat with cheese?

I'll tell you what is/are shit, really shit......but you always think it's/they're going to be good, until you actually get it/them.......................Black Peas, fucking rubbish. They make Lobby seem like a culinary delight

KFC also, always sounds great, then you get it, and it's biz

• Site Supporter

I just don't get that someone could dislike the two ingredients of a soup; in your case a cheese and a vegetable, but do like the resulting liquidised mixture.

How would you ever know?

I've already said I dislike butterbeans. A subsequent post reminds me that I also dislike jellied eels (after buying a tub from the prawn, cockles and muscles man who used to walk round local pubs for Kershaws)

So, would I even try a jellied eel and butterbean soup? Are you mad?

I wouldn't have normally  but was on a course in Scotland a few weeks and everyone was raving about this soup at dinner time, so thought why not give it a go.

Had an Asda one since and enjoyed that too

• Site Supporter

A few things . . . 

I've never heard of anyone before who could eat a yolk but not the white!    

Well you have now, seems there's a few.

I love omelette and scrambled but can't stomach the white of a poached or fried, love dipping other stuff in the yolk though.

You make a good point.

Charcoal biscuits? Now I'm a fan of using McVities chocolate digestives as biscuits with Lancashire cheese so I guess it could work with a decent blue as well. So is charcoal autocorrect for chocolate or is there a charcoal biscuit you could eat with cheese?

Nope Charcoal biscuits, https://www.finecheese.co.uk/cheese-partners/crackers-and-biscuits-for-cheese/fine-english-charcoal-squares.html

By themselves it is a bit like licking a slag heap, but with some Stilton and port, lovely.

My other half spends as long picking out the right biscuit at xmas as much as the cheese. There is a great little cheese shop in Victoria station we go to.

I'll tell you what is/are shit, really shit......but you always think it's/they're going to be good, until you actually get it/them.......................Black Peas, fucking rubbish. They make Lobby seem like a culinary delight

KFC also, always sounds great, then you get it, and it's biz

Agree on black peas.

I only eat mushy peas tbh

Black peas are bland as fuck, but made palatable with a bit of salt and a shit load of vinegar, got to be slightly mushy too

I'm a fan but they need copious amounts of vinegar as you say.

KFC is always a disappointment n all

They have a knock off called Miss Millie's down here and it's miles better.  Still feel dirty after eating one though

Whoah - black peas are fucking beautiful!

Plus they're really good for you. If someone marketed them as a 'superfood' down London way then they'd be quids in.

Did them as part of my Friday food treat at work (as I hate baking) I have to say they weren't massively popular.

Hunter's pasties went down a treat though.