Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Foods You Really Detest

MancWanderer

• Site Supporter

Just been thinking about this aversion for fresh tomatoes some have. Love em - it's the cooked variety I can't stand (grilled on a Full English for example, no problem with pasta sauce or owt).

Used to grow them with my dad as a kid in the greenhouse. Would pick one, bring it straight in and cut it in half and eat it with a sprinkling of salt.

Don't know what happened but soon after developed a complete aversion. If a butty shop inadvertently puts some tomato in my salad on a butty, I'll wretch at the very smell. Minging.

If you think hummus is tasteless you need new tastebuds, even more so with cous cous as you can cook that fucker with anything and warm or cold it's lovely. Been having loads of middle eastern food lately- really fresh, tasty and (once you've got the ingredients) easy to make.

Moules- again if it's been full of sand you need to get your chops with them done in double cream, garlic and a load of white wine. The kids will even wolf them down as they are super sweet.

If you think hummus is tasteless you need new tastebuds, even more so with cous cous as you can cook that fucker with anything and warm or cold it's lovely. Been having loads of middle eastern food lately- really fresh, tasty and (once you've got the ingredients) easy to make.

Moules- again if it's been full of sand you need to get your chops with them done in double cream, garlic and a load of white wine. The kids will even wolf them down as they are super sweet.

na, cous cous is in my cauliflower category - tastes like cardboard.  But, I'll concede that if cooked, mixed with some veg and baked in a red pepper with goats cheese it's just about palatable.

tbf everything else masks the cous cous :)

Muscles are divine cooked in cider but I like all seafood.  Has to be fresh though, makes a world of difference.

Edited by madthatter

na, cous cous is in my cauliflower category - tastes like cardboard.

Have a go at roasted cauliflower. No pre-cooking, just break it up, chuck on some olive oil and salt and bung it in a hot oven for twenty minutes or so till it's browned and tender.

It's like a different vegetable.

Cereal mixing is true future; nowt wrong with that

As a fussy fuck (I know surprising innit) my hate list is pretty long, so off the top of my head

Ketchup (you dirty cunt)

Brown sauce (its named after a colour FFS)

Nuts (all and every one you fucking monkeys)

Eggs (apart from scrambled or omelettes)

Tomatoes (passata and soup are ok)

Raw onions

Gherkins. Are they pickled things? In fact everything pickled except monster munch :D

Stewed meat. You've got rid of anything good there. This shite is why English food used to get a bad wrap

Which brings me to casserole. 60's/70's garbage

Smoked fish / cheese / meat. Just cook the cunt normally

Mushy peas. Why would you do that?

• Members

Owt green. If God had meant us to eat that muck he'd have given us rumens.

Spinach is OK, but the rest of them can fuck off.

Satan, I worked with a very brilliant industrial gearbox designer in Huddersfield called Robin Smith (RIP). So brilliant was he that they sent him around to the far reaches of the global company on special assignments and he was sent to Sydney to sort a special military skid steer system drive for an armoured troop vehicle.

He was tickled pink that you could get a breakfast steak down here. When I questioned him on his vociferous approval the first day he came into work he said words pretty similar to yours above apart from your grudging acceptance of spinach. This bloke smoked a Meerschaum pipe (Pretentious? Moi?) and religiously sank 5 pints of Guinness every night. Told me he had never eaten anything green in his life and his diet consisted of meat and potatoes.

Died of stomach cancer at 52 years old.

So mate, as a great admirer of your Rivington Pike series and other contributions to the maelstrom (Preten....oh, fuck it) which is Wanderersways, please eat loads of spinach and stick around a while eh?

• Members

Cereal mixing is true future; nowt wrong with that

As a fussy fuck (I know surprising innit) my hate list is pretty long, so off the top of my head

Ketchup (you dirty cunt)

Brown sauce (its named after a colour FFS)

Nuts (all and every one you fucking monkeys)

Eggs (apart from scrambled or omelettes)

Tomatoes (passata and soup are ok)

Raw onions

Gherkins. Are they pickled things? In fact everything pickled except monster munch :D

Stewed meat. You've got rid of anything good there. This shite is why English food used to get a bad wrap

Which brings me to casserole. 60's/70's garbage

Smoked fish / cheese / meat. Just cook the cunt normally

Mushy peas. Why would you do that?

Fucking hell. The polished pate now makes sense. Mineral deprivation.

What the fuck do you eat?