Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Hardy Smell Of A Football Bog.

leigh white

Burnden bogs were the worst I can remember. Maybe old Wembley on par

Burnden were pretty grim, I also seem to recall wading around, ankle deep, in piss at Crystal Palace a few years ago (we won 1:0, Nolan I think...) - before they moved the away end further down

Remember a bloke pissing all over my scarf in the toilets/troughs near the lever end in the paddock.

Can still vividly remember the smell under the burnden terrace. A strange mix of piss/pies all with a piss vapour mixing with the cold air. Always remember how dark it was under there.

Remember it going off with a set of fans in the away bit, our lot were charging at wooden wall with scaffolding tubes that were stacked in a metal cage thing. Can't remember who the team was?

• Site Supporter

There was a turd in a bog at chesterfields old ground (Saltgate?) a few years back. It was a night game, possibly a replay.

Anyway, this bog had no water in it so I assumed it had lost its connection to the mains. This turd had a slightly petrified look about it, so could have been done weeks previous.

People had still pissed all over it.

The stench makes me heave to this day

Edited by Spider

Remember a bloke pissing all over my scarf in the toilets/troughs near the lever end in the paddock.

Can still vividly remember the smell under the burnden terrace. A strange mix of piss/pies all with a piss vapour mixing with the cold air. Always remember how dark it was under there.

Remember it going off with a set of fans in the away bit, our lot were charging at wooden wall with scaffolding tubes that were stacked in a metal cage thing. Can't remember who the team was?

Burnley?

Man City in a pre season testimonial for Nat Lofthouse.

• Site Supporter

There was also the added aroma of fertiliser that the groundsman must’ve stored under the stand. Clothes would stink of that heady combination for hours after.

did they even have ladies toilets on the burnden / manny road terrace?

wonder what they would've been like - maybe a can of haze in there as a gesture

No point, women weren't allowed at football then were they?

Actually just remembered a scrap between two girls on the Lever End pre seats days with them ripping each others clothes off. Plod trying to get to them and the crowd of lads stopping them whilst encouraging the girls.