Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Poppies On Lampposts

globaldiver

• Members

I hope folk take them down after Remembrance Day, I think there is something disrespectful in having faded ones on a car months later.

Agree.

Attending the PLSC Remembrance Sunday run this weekend with poppy on display. They are predicting 36C so they will fade quickly. You used to find old soldiers selling poppies all over Perth in the 2 weeks leading up to this weekend. Now you have to actively go and seek a poppy out.

I'll see if the Fuehrer tries to attend incognito now you've let me know where he is hiding.

• Site Supporter

Remember playing in a remembrance day parade at Stretford as a kid.

It was pissing down and bastard freezing.

A soldier was stood rigid by the war memorial, throughout. I swear he didn't move. He must have been in a right state by the end.

What a bloke; always stuck in my mind- reckon he wouldn't have minded a bit of 36°C.

Went to Harrogate last night to meet up with my cousin and his Mrs

Mrs Manc wanted to do some shopping today and we went to the Harrogate Cenotaph at 11am to pay our respects

Now, I've done plenty of church services, parades, etc in my 53 years but that was the first time I'd ever actually gone to a proper Cenotaph on the 11th hour of the 11th day. Wow, when the Last Post was sounded that was real dust in the eye stuff with all the old soldiers stood and sat there

• Members

Just got back from the run - 122 scooters, a number of owd soldiers from the RSL (1 x WW2 who signed up when he was just under 16 and told them he was 18 plus a few Vietnam Vets) and even the Mayor of Fremantle (Brad Pettit, Labour mon - truce for today!) made an appearance.

Raised nearly $5K for the Retired Serviceman's League. I even get emotional when I meet some of these old timers and learn what they have been through. Mard twat no. 1 in some instances.

Mrs Sweep and I (plus the mutt) are just about to go out for a walk, and will be at our little village memorial plaque at 11:00

Apparently there will be a short service there, with cubs, guides, scouts etc all in attendance

The cubs, bears, otters and twinks are doing similar this morning.

They are having a communal wank on a little black boy wearing a red curly wig.

• Site Supporter

Anyone watch the service in London? Always gets me going when the last post is played.

Prince Philip doesn't look well :(

He didn't seem too bad at the service last night; but presumably the Albert hall is a bit warmer.

Interesting to see her Maj has passed her duties onto Charles.