Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

These Fixed Odds Machines

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but there's discussions taking place about limiting bet sizes on these machines.

As a non gambler, I'd be interested in views of those who do use them or other methods.

Should limits be reduced?

When I go in the bookies, usually on a Saturday morning, people are always on them. I stop and watch every now and then, it's amazing to see the amount of money they have in these machines, and some folk are betting fortunes. I've seen people feeding in £20 after £20, and they can also "top the machine" up using their card at the till. 

The maximum is £100, but I think you can bet this every 20 seconds or so

I heard somebody say that if Bookmakers could stop football, horse and dog betting, and just have more of these machines in, they would, as it's the lions share of the take they make in the high street shops these days.

I generally play, if I can get on, I stick £10 on roulette, and play £5 at a time. If I get to £20 I take it out......I'm not really what you might call a high roller  :)

I'm down for whatever gives the bookies more reason to offer bonuses. I suspect that will be the status quo.

At the end of the day if they ban these in the high street you still have online slots that can go up to £200+ a spin, blackjack and roulette that go up to £1m a spin plus. There's no sorting it just by reducing the high street fobts.

They are apparently rife for money laundering too so with dealers whacking equal amount on red and black and cashing out clean cash minus the house edge if it lands on 0

Over 50% of profits made by high street bookies come from these they are the sole reason you have multiple shops of same operator in a town centre as they are limited to 4 per shop.

Upto 21,000 jobs to go if they reduce the limits to sub £50 apparently according to report from kpmg

Plus tax losses for Hmrc

Edited by Escobarp

If people want to put their money in machines with flashing lights then let the simpletons, it's their fucking money

Surely they would just go the next shop then continue the pattern until they'd spent all their money anyhow

It's like limiting the amounts of paracetamol you can buy, complete waste of time

Why would they need to go to another shop?

There's a dodgy betting syndicate round these parts that's been going for years.

They bet absolutely mental amounts of money, that no normal bookie would take.

Talking £20k on random horses and footy games.

Few Blackpool players and a certain fish based club owner frequent the club quite regular.

There's a dodgy betting syndicate round these parts that's been going for years.

They bet absolutely mental amounts of money, that no normal bookie would take.

Talking £20k on random horses and footy games.

Few Blackpool players and a certain fish based club owner frequent the club quite regular.

bet sids?