Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Eyesight Prescriptions

Spider

The + 1.00; +1.5: etc. will really fuck your eyes if you use them all the time.

I think straining your eyes trying to read stuff when you really need glasses fucks your eyes up even more.

You know you need readers when you're moving the newspaper further away in order to focus.

I got my first pair of +2's for reading 15 years ago and i'm still on +2's now.

• Site Supporter

My sister is an optician and she said this "Because they are ready readers which are + lenses. That's the whole point - lenses are only for the shortsighted market. There are so many more people in range +1 to +4"

I sense a dragons den opportunity

Specsavers are so cheap I'm not sure how they can turn a profit. Have you tried them?

They are absolutely fucking shit!!!!!!

2012 I joined a company and HR said I had to have an eye-test and get prescription glasses with an anti-glare coating because my job meant over a certain number of hours working on a laptop. They would pay £100 towards them. I said I've got +1.5 reading glasses from Tesco Opticians can I go back there and get a pair with the anti-glare stuff? Answer was no they had a contract with Specsavers you have to go there. Came out with a prescription pair at +2.5 that cost a fortune. Are they bollocks cheap!!!!

2016 I go to Tesco as I had a cyst on my eyelid and they referred me to the hospital opthalmology department via my GP to have it removed (fuck me that was summat I never, ever want to go through again!!!). Anyway I'm told to take my glasses and basically they are saying who the fuck gave you these? Your prescription is only +1.5

2017 I go back to Tesco because at night I'm struggling to see the signs on the motorway clearly and I can't see which switch is which in the car so they prescribe some varifocals so I can see distance for the signs and close up for the switches, etc. Perfect glasses, The close-up stuff is now coming in at +2

Where the fuck did Specsavers get +2.5 from over 5 years ago? Cowboys of the highest order

• Moderators

Problem is they can only prescribe off your answers

And often they ask me stuff and I struggle to give em a confident answer

Which is brighter, the red or the green

Fcuk knows

Which is better, this, or this

Fcuk knows

I'll be the Specsavers apologist in that case. I pay £13 a month for contact lenses which come through the post. Once every 12 months I get a free eye test and contact lens check up which lasts about 45 minutes (including all the depth of vision tests and a retina scan). I then get given a free pair of glasses which look decent enough - or £50 off a designer frame - which I never bother with.

So £156 a year for everything all in. I'm not sure how much cheaper you want it really?

As for your experience - sounds like you either had a shit do or like has been pointed out elsewhere - answered in a way which got you the wrong script. I just tell them they are broadly the same if I'm in doubt and never had any problems.

• Site Supporter

My glasses are scary money..

I'm -7.5 in both eyes and need yellow tints,

the company that does the yellow tinting charges 200 quid for the lenses as "just glass"... I dread to think how much they would be with my prescription.. 

I get the specsaves 12.99 a month deal and bought some "non standard" dyslexia friendly glasses for 20 quid.. problem is I always misplace them so i begrude paying the full whack..

Went to Specsavers at Middlebrook 2 years and despite the optici ... opthalm... girl that tested my eyes looking like she'd just left kindegarten, picked something up and referred me to the eye clinic at Bolton where they identified I have assymetric optic nerves. Just had second annual hospital appointment doing loads of tests and this year they even took photos of the back of my eye to reference any changes in the future. Everything fine and if no change next year will be discharged. Like most large chains/franchises there's going to be variations in quality.

My old man had a sore eye and blurred vision. Thought it was something and nothing. Went to specsavers who immediately rang the hospital and got him down there sharpish. Badly detached retina and if left any longer could have lost sight in his eye. Was operated on that day and now thankfully is recovering.

As per above it’s the individual optician not the brand that matters.

My sister has the Specsavers franchise in Stockport and I know how professional and diligent she and her team are so. I would expect that level of service across all franchises so I can’t explain the poor service you experienced MancW.

Maybe I got a bad one? It was the Ashton-under-Lyne branch. I contacted Specsavers to complain with the results of other tests included. Never received a reply or owt. Maybe it's franchise issue. Some are good some are shite?

• Site Supporter

I use Specsavers and find em ok and cheap, but I'm always losing the fuckers. Easy to replace readers with a cheap pair from pound shop, but annoying when you pay a few quid for your long distance glasses (i need em for driving and at the footy, also watching TV makes it look like going to HD from normal)