Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Old Ipod Not Syncing

Smiley

Have an old iPod that I use in my car. Very intermittent whether or not it will sync with any of my Macs. Pissing me off. Trying to load on some new tunes. Googled the problem and pretty much tried everything with no success.

Happened before. Then tried again about 3 months later and had success. But now doing a no-show again.

Anyone had this issue and found a remedy?

• 2 weeks later...

Have an old iPod that I use in my car. Very intermittent whether or not it will sync with any of my Macs. Pissing me off. Trying to load on some new tunes. Googled the problem and pretty much tried everything with no success.

Happened before. Then tried again about 3 months later and had success. But now doing a no-show again.

Anyone had this issue and found a remedy?

its probably an old firmware thing, but , might be risky updating that..

wiki sez these are the last/current versions

1.5 (1G, 2G)

2.3 (3G)

3.1.1 (4G)

1.2.1 (4G Color)

1.3 (5G)

1.1.2 (6G)

2.0.5 (7G, 2009)

depends which one you have..

i think somewhere on the settings about page on the ipod gives away the numbers

using a different media player might sort the syncing thing. summat like clementine or vox or summat might do it..

hth

.... and also , maybe , try a different usb cable.. sounds daft, but , these unofficial ones can be crap.. And the apple ones seem better , but can be a bit on the thin side, so get broken in weird ways..

Tried 2 different cables and no luck. Definitely connecting to the Mac as it starts charging as soon as I plug in the USB.... but just not showing in iTunes.

when i put music on my ipod i never have it syncing (if the songs arent on my computer it assumes i dont want them on the ipod neither so deletes them from the ipod) i turn off syncing and switch 'manually manage my library' (or whatever its called) on and i manually drag the songs over..

if it won't even let you do that, then id guess updating the firmware would mend it..

i used to have a weird disconnection thing with mine til i did that..

if that dont fix it, then a further guess would be that the hard drive might be getting bad sectors.

you'd need a 1.8 inch zif to SD card style adapter to mend that nowadays.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/SD-SDHC-Micro-SD-TF-Flash-Card-to-ZIF-Reader-Adapter-as-SSD-/292043472595/

or a 1.8 zif to Msata drive adapter

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adaptare-46238-Adaptor-Board-SSD-Adaptor-mSATA-SSD-to-1-8-Inch-IDE-ZIF-Socket-/141951360541/

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-New-Mini-mSATA-PCI-E-1-8-SSD-To-40pin-ZIF-SE-Cable-Adapter-Converter-Card-UK/322908943034/

and the appropriate msata drive or sdcard too to actually hold the songs on.. i think msata drive would be better and last longer...

probably need a fancy tool to open the ipod too....

could cost a fair few quid.. seen other Modders do it , so it must work.. once ios is loaded back on...

certain folk love the old ipod.. already converted ones are 175 to 225 quid on ebay...

kinda cool imo