Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sweaty Ken

Lostock Whites

5 hours ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Will you ever grow up?

Looking back through Simon Marland's book reminded me that I was at a lot more matches  in the second half of the sixties than I had remembered but always on the Embankment.

I expect that I was more interested in what was happening on the pitch than the activities of the more juvenile contingent gathered at the Lever End.

Can't say I was agin Chunky Taylor and, whilst he was a Wanderer he would always have my support, but he was never a favourite. More a bit of an also-ran or poor man's Franny Lee, if you ask me.

Anyway to salve your grumpiness, here's a bit of Huey ''Piano'' Smith for you. Huey's recording was  the source  of one of the first original chants I recall, unique to and created by Bolton supporters, at Burnden Park (on the Embankment btw). It resonates a little bit with the valderee, valdera song at Wembey in '58 but isn't so wet.

Wohhh that  takes me back,i remember that being sung in The Lever End in the late 60's and 70's - i always wondered where it originated from.

Great old song btw - cheers

1 minute ago, Take Hunt Off said:

If its 35 sobs to get in wiggin I am still in because its not one we can just ignore win lose or draw we show up & as someone else has pointed out its as cheap as chips to get to!

Indeed. It’ll cost about 40 quid including travel so in reality no different to when we used to have free travel to Chelsea and then pay 48 quid a ticket. Similarly if a London club decided to charge a tenner a ticket nobody would think twice about the cost to get there on top of it. 

Gooper, gooper, gooper, a ha, ha, ha.   I'd forgotten all about that, & never knew where it came from.

I haven't seen Tony Brooks around for a long time but can probably find out what happened to him tomorrow. (there was another chap who shared the lead singer role but i can't remember his name )

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Indeed. It’ll cost about 40 quid including travel so in reality no different to when we used to have free travel to Chelsea and then pay 48 quid a ticket. Similarly if a London club decided to charge a tenner a ticket nobody would think twice about the cost to get there on top of it. 

does that not sort of prove the point you are trying to argue against, that ticket price doesn't or shouldn't matter?

we never took anything like big numbers to chelsea at £48 a pop even with free travel, people even stopped going to OT when he got to £40+

yet if it was £10 a ticket to London, it wouldn't be an issue?

so ticket pricing does make a difference

if you're happy paying £100-£200 for day out on the piss every away game, then maybe not

but if you are someone who goes to the game, drives to the ground, goes in, then out and home again, it might be the difference between a pint before and at half time, which makes a difference

18 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

does that not sort of prove the point you are trying to argue against, that ticket price doesn't or shouldn't matter?

we never took anything like big numbers to chelsea at £48 a pop even with free travel, people even stopped going to OT when he got to £40+

yet if it was £10 a ticket to London, it wouldn't be an issue?

so ticket pricing does make a difference

if you're happy paying £100-£200 for day out on the piss every away game, then maybe not

but if you are someone who goes to the game, drives to the ground, goes in, then out and home again, it might be the difference between a pint before and at half time, which makes a difference

We sold out at Chelsea when we played them the last day of the season.

The point I’m making is that ticket price is only a small factor of the day - it’ll cost Wigan fans no more than £40 for ticket and travel to come to us. There aren’t many other away games this season where they will be getting ticket and travel for that sort of price. 

On the whole I don’t necessarily think ticket price does make much of a difference really and it matters far more whether folk think they’re going to see a win. People stopped going to OT because they were sick of us having our arses handed to us - as we’ve seen at home games this season, you can make it as cheap as you want but people either want to go or they don’t. Similarly Latics will still bring at least a couple of thousand because they fancy their chances of beating us. 

Anyroad, all of this is largely taking away from the fact that KA has clearly done his sums on this game and the price is clearly there for a reason given he’s not been shy of ensuring cheap season tickets and the odd reduced price game during his reign.  

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

We sold out at Chelsea when we played them the last day of the season.

The point I’m making is that ticket price is only a small factor of the day - it’ll cost Wigan fans no more than £40 for ticket and travel to come to us. There aren’t many other away games this season where they will be getting ticket and travel for that sort of price. 

On the whole I don’t necessarily think ticket price does make much of a difference really and it matters far more whether folk think they’re going to see a win. People stopped going to OT because they were sick of us having our arses handed to us - as we’ve seen at home games this season, you can make it as cheap as you want but people either want to go or they don’t. Similarly Latics will still bring at least a couple of thousand because they fancy their chances of beating us. 

Anyroad, all of this is largely taking away from the fact that KA has clearly done his sums on this game and the price is clearly there for a reason given he’s not been shy of ensuring cheap season tickets and the odd reduced price game during his reign.  

the thing about Chelsea was we thought we might have something to play for, as it happens, we didn't, but there's a reason that one sold out and other times we took a few hundred

I guess I see it differently, it does make a big difference IMO

as been pointed out, wigan took 4k to PNE at £26 a pop

let's see how many they bring at £35

and we know Leeds will sell out at the same price

we're not talking about the hardcore here, the ones who travel all over and make days out of it, we're talking about day tippers and floating fans, these are the ones KA is trying to entice back when he talks about filling the ground or getting big gates

course he's done the sums, another season or two, he'll realize there's only so many who will come on a regular basis, then he'll start squeezing us for more as well probably, make it £2.50-£5 more a game for STs, then we'll see what a difference it makes (I know that's not the argument as such, but I reckon that's the way it will go if KA is here a few more seasons)

19 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Bower must spend his entire life scouring the internet for shit to throw at the Andersons.

if he’s so desperate to get shut, why doesn’t he get a consortium together and buy the club

Haha thought the same just then. It’s friday night ffs. 

To be fair to him , he will at least engage in a conversation and not simply block you like the rest of his bum chums, but he just picks snippets and puts his own usually damning spin on it. 

7 hours ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Sha -la-la la-lee works. So does Sha-la- Frannie Lee. But I still can't see how Sha-la-la-la- Frannie Lee works.

If you go to the chorus it's sha la la la la la lee.

Franny replaces the last two 'la la's

6 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Bower must spend his entire life scouring the internet for shit to throw at the Andersons.

if he’s so desperate to get shut, why doesn’t he get a consortium together and buy the club

It's a sad existence looking for shit to fling to get internet "likes"

I really do wonder how long Ken's patience will last, before he just says fuck it and walks away. 

6 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Let's be honest it's not hard to throw shit at em. Plenty of it floats about to be fair

48 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

He's a white through and through

Haha. Not the angle I was going at.  He's done all this turn earn a figure. I'd be amazed if he went without a payday (again that's not a slant on him) 

i also get the impression he likes owning Bolton and whatever happens would like to ensure he is still around. Just my impression 

29 minutes ago, tomski said:

Haha. Not the angle I was going at.  He's done all this turn earn a figure. I'd be amazed if he went without a payday (again that's not a slant on him) 

i also get the impression he likes owning Bolton and whatever happens would like to ensure he is still around. Just my impression 

I agree, Tomski. Its had its ups and downs but I suspect  that the Anderson's have both enjoyed the ride and developed an attachment to the club. That's not to say that Ken will ever let heart  rule head in the way that Eddie did. I'm still not seeing how Ken has enough finance to see us through the season, though he has said he has.