Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sweaty Ken

Lostock Whites

8 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Dangerously low expectations I suppose, but for me KA is delivering every week that we remain in business at the minute. 

That is a very low expectation I agree. I find the whole thing a joke and the reality is that I'm seeing loyal mates drop like flies  watching or losing interest in a greater rate than I've ever seen before. I fear the damage could be far greater than we think.

4 hours ago, tomski said:

That is a very low expectation I agree. I find the whole thing a joke and the reality is that I'm seeing loyal mates drop like flies  watching or losing interest in a greater rate than I've ever seen before. I fear the damage could be far greater than we think.

thats what happens when you are a manc and have manc friends :D

Saw a screenshot of Ken’s worth today, says he’s worth £9m. That’s while everyone around him in the list are worth a minimum of £250m. 

That in football club owner terms is fuck all. 

He’s skint. He’d have to sell everything he owns just to buy one of Middlesbrough’s substitutes. 

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Saw a screenshot of Ken’s worth today, says he’s worth £9m. That’s while everyone around him in the list are worth a minimum of £250m. 

He’s skint. He’d have to sell everything he owns just to buy one of Middlesbrough’s substitutes. 

Indeed and that doesn't mean he has £9M in his bank account. 

He doesn't have enough cash to cover our annual shortfall. It has been clear for a while. We will lose 3M this year - no way can he cover it. So will need raising somehow.....

18 minutes ago, gonzo said:

You have to ask yourself why did he get involved then? 

• Site Supporter

He's obviously out of his depth

Doesn't mean he's not trying.

I'm sure he'd be off like a shot if anyone was even vaguely serious about buying.

As it is, his name is above the door so he needs to stick around until he doesn't have to, or is told he can't. The choice doesn't strike me as being his alone.

26 minutes ago, tomski said:

You have to ask yourself why did he get involved then? 

Bought it for a pound. He clearly thought he could slash costs, get the club promoted then sell it. Without putting much if any cash in himself. Nice tidy profit.

He misjudged the situation in many ways. 

42 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Bought it for a pound. He clearly thought he could slash costs, get the club promoted then sell it. Without putting much if any cash in himself. Nice tidy profit.

Exactly. The question is misjudged or been poor at his job is where I’m at? 

Deffo think he was sold a dud. Anyone taking the terms laid out with future add ons etc. But I suppose that’s why he got the call.

It has failed though I feel whoever you blame

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

There is a list on Wikipedia (link below) which shows owners of clubs and indeed shows Ken Anderson as being worth $9 million (rather than £9 million).

HOWEVER

When you click on the source reference to the $9 million (it is shown as the little number '40' next to it and can be found at the bottom of that page), it takes you to Ken Anderson, a former American footballer (whose worth is shown as $16 million anyway)!

So I would question how accurate the information is you've seen and no doubt taken as gospel by some/many on social media (obviously not by you!).

(There is also a Ken Anderson, American wrestler too who may/may not be worth $9 million - but I've not looked to see how much he's estimated to be).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs#cite_note-40

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

seems that way

but, I thought I recalled that he had the club on the market, then took it off and said he was only looking for investment

had a search, all I could find was this:

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/a-note-from-the-chairman4/

I would also like to keep you updated on matters concerning investment into the club. I want to make it clear that we have never proactively approached any party or sought to sell the club.

which, unless I've misunderstood, is at odds with the brochure that was  produced 6 months earlier saying the club was for sale

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/15579837.for-sale-bolton-wanderers-available-for-25million/

If we are going to be back on an ‘even keel’ when the January money drops in surely our bank would float us for a few weeks? I’m sure they would with a directors guarantee attached.

Makes me think that things still won’t be quite ‘even keel’ after the money lands and we will likely need to find more money somehow to see us through to the end of the season vs our current YTG forecast 

With that in mind it seems crazy that we’ve taken this Dooge lad from FGR, even if it’s only say £500k that’s due it’s still the thick end of a month’s wages. It’s getting on for as crazy as the when we gave Ben Amos that contract months before the money dried up

5 hours ago, gonzo said:

Says all anyone need to know

11 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

The only way any club will make money is getting to the Premier league, so buying lower Championship or below won't be on a list of wannabe owners with deep pockets.

Except for money laundering purposes, which nowadays would lead to other problems.

• Site Supporter

Maybe it's time for the league, fa, clubs etc to get together once and for all, and put something together, such that they can't be suffering in this way.

Ultimately, they all have to stop paying over the odds to buy players and pay their wages.

Not sure it will ever happen though.