Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sweaty Ken

Lostock Whites

13 hours ago, Sluffy said:

I'm happy to hold my hand up and accept that I'm not infallible and do get things wrong from time to time but I do try and show my reasoning and source documents for the things I do say and try to be impartial as I can - even if it leads others to believe I'm pro KA (and anti the ST).

And understatement of the year goes to...

Are you available for Harvarding my assignments?

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Traf said:

Which makes sense as a football season dosn't align itself with the fiscal calendar. And also suggests he didn't just take 525k in one hit.

Yep. It does concern me though, as Tom has pointed out, that some players had to wait till get their bonuses, that were contractually owed.

Putting to one side the merits of such, as that's a separate argument, doesn't help himself, but doing stuff like this. Adds to the concern.

If there was money for the consultancy fees available (which he said included his bonus), it would just rest easier if he'd paid up what was due first, rather than the public criticisms and delays.

I'm not going off on one against him like many; he just comes over as odious.

• Moderators

not sure the timeline is that relevant here? we know he took 525k in one year - and the promotion bonus can only have been paid between the last game of the season and 30th June

as for instalments, maybe, but the accounts for Inner Circle look to only show one payment paid in 2017, as opposed to several over 16/17, so it would probably suggest it was one lump sum - but you'd need someone who understands accounts to confirm that

the issue for me though was that he said he wasn't getting paid, and then admitted he was, so it's no wonder folk don't trust him

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

not sure the timeline is that relevant here? we know he took 525k in one year - and the promotion bonus can only have been paid between the last game of the season and 30th June

as for instalments, maybe, but the accounts for Inner Circle look to only show one payment paid in 2017, as opposed to several over 16/17, so it would probably suggest it was one lump sum - but you'd need someone who understands accounts to confirm that

the issue for me though was that he said he wasn't getting paid, and then admitted he was, so it's no wonder folk don't trust him

Indeed. To be honest if he was taking a reasonable wage and was up front about it, then no issue.

Just pay those you should, when you should and then take your dibs.

11 minutes ago, Bigtoe said:

Are you reading John and co?

No suprise he pissed several people off with his ill informed nonsense

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/january/behind-the-scenes-with-jimmy-phillips/

Reading that makes it even more disappointing that we aren’t seeing them in the first team.

whether that be manager or circumstances (promotion or relegation every year).

Part of me doesn’t want us to get bought so we can’t just go out and buy players as it further restricts our youth having a chance

Edited by Eavesy

4 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

Reading that makes it even more disappointing that we aren’t seeing them in the first team.

whether that be manager or circumstances (promotion or relegation every year).

Part of me doesn’t want us to get bought so we can’t just go out and buy players as it further restricts our youth having a chance

Even though the youth set up is obviously a success, and credit to all involved, the reality is the majority of the youth team will have noting to do with football in a few years. 

Theres a massive gap between a lot of youth players and the first team and that’s the same at most clubs around the world.

22 minutes ago, Bigtoe said:

Are you reading John and co?

No suprise he pissed several people off with his ill informed nonsense

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/january/behind-the-scenes-with-jimmy-phillips/

Good find Bigtoe - the relevant quote from Jimmy Philips being -

Over the past three years, since the return of Brian Morris as Academy head of recruitment, our scouts have worked very hard and diligently, particularly the seven who are asked to focus on the Bolton, Bury and District Junior Football League.

They have managed to recruit 33 players from there out of the 64 young players in total we have signed over the past three years.

This is no small feat when you consider that four of the biggest teams in the country (Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Everton) are right on our doorstep as well as all the many other football clubs in the North West.

Wonder if Iles will be writing an article on it, or club legend McGinlay will offer a public apology for his utter and without any basis in fact, outburst at the forum last week - nice to think they would?

re the scouts, its a bit of both... the emphasis appears to be on the older age groups- As a parent and now grass roots manager, I haven't seen many of our scouts at u7s-u10s; it seems bizarre that we are missing out on first dibs- especially as the club sponsor the younger age groups and the arena is used as a central location for games. It could be they are happy to pick up what other clubs leave behind, or allow players to physically develop further before taking a punt.

I'm not arguing one side is right and the other wrong, I just think they have differing perspectives

Not sure how to phrase this; I don't want to come across as being arsey, as I haven't read the whole comments. Is SJM et al arguing that there are few scouts active in BBDFL? Or that youth isn't being given a chance? FWIW, the article highlights the good work the academy are doing, but its being measured during a period where we couldn't bring in anyone into the first team because of an embargo. It also suggests the emphasis of scouting is within the older age groups- whether that is a deliberate policy to prevent 'bigger' clubs cherry picking the talent nurtured by the academy as they turn 14 or not I don't know. I know there are kids from as far as Skem playing for the u10s, but few scouts are out and about in the BBDFL at the same age. Are there equally capable kids playing in BBDFL that are then picked up by Wigan, Preston, Burnley etc?

I'm not picking holes, just trying to understand and offer some perspective.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Sluffy said:

Good find Bigtoe - the relevant quote from Jimmy Philips being -

Over the past three years, since the return of Brian Morris as Academy head of recruitment, our scouts have worked very hard and diligently, particularly the seven who are asked to focus on the Bolton, Bury and District Junior Football League.

They have managed to recruit 33 players from there out of the 64 young players in total we have signed over the past three years.

This is no small feat when you consider that four of the biggest teams in the country (Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Everton) are right on our doorstep as well as all the many other football clubs in the North West.

Wonder if Iles will be writing an article on it, or club legend McGinlay will offer a public apology for his utter and without any basis in fact, outburst at the forum last week - nice to think they would?

Sine when have Everton been one of the biggest teams in the country??

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Walkden White said:

Interesting article that - we seem to have plenty of scouts to cover local matches 

this is not a criticism, just an observation but ive never seen a bolton scout in preston (which covers chorley teams). maybe our scouts just dont travel that far? maybe thats for good reason? or maybe we just havent crossed paths?

and there are "preston" lads being picked up left, right and centre for manure, city, rovers and burnley. 

and maybe im just being selfish, as my lad wants to play for bolton, so he's turned down all the above.

Edited by HomerJay

36 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

this is not a criticism, just an observation but ive never seen a bolton scout in preston (which covers chorley teams). maybe our scouts just dont travel that far? maybe thats for good reason? or maybe we just havent crossed paths?

and there are "preston" lads being picked up left, right and centre for manure, city, rovers and burnley. 

and maybe im just being selfish, as my lad wants to play for bolton, so he's turned down all the above.

I’m now at under 14s level with my team in the central Lancs league it’s my 7th season and I’ve never seen a Bolton scout either.