Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sweaty Ken

Lostock Whites

Do they have hotels and Confrence centres like we have? Genuine question as I don’t know 

Youd expect rates on a hotel to be sizeable 

You can’t accept the additional revenue streams without expecting higher costs 

Edit- canyou also not apply to get your business rates formally reassessed by central government? You’d have to ask why Ken hasn’t already done this if it’s an issue 

Edited by birch-chorley

A quick look at our accounts shows that turnover of the Hotel has dropped from £7.3m to £6.5m but costs of those sales have increased from £1.3m to £3m - i’d imagine that rates are in there, not sure if that’s part of the wider BWFC Council bill but I doubt the Hotel is up to date if the wider club isn’t 

A quick look on google shows that rates on hotels are indeed very big generally...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38991278

A Hotel here in Scotland paying nearly £600k with a turnover of £4.5m (£2m less than Whites Hotel) 

Edited by birch-chorley

3 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Sheff Utd have a hotel built onto their ground 

Not sure if they own it though 

Can’t see any mention of a hotel business in their accounts 

https://www.sufc.co.uk/siteassets/downloads/20181026_su_accounts.pdf

Unless they rent the space and another Ltd company and that business pays the rates 

Looks like a Saudi Prince owns their ground though, which I didn’t know 

Edited by birch-chorley

6 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Rates for homeowners are a lot more in Tory voting Lostock than in Labour voting Burnden.I haven't been to Sheffield since Bruce Rioch was our manager and am no expert on the city's geography but would think the grounds are  in poor inner city areas rather than affluent Tory voting suburbs.

Wouldn't describe Hillsborough as a poor inner city area 

Bramall Lane more likely 

What division your in has nothing to do with business rates

I’d say our facilities are better than many clubs above us in the Pyramid including plenty of PL clubs (Huddersfield, Burnley, Bournemouth, Fulham, Crystal Oalace, Watford etc) 

It’s up to Ken as the owner of the business to make those facilities work. We’ve benefited from many non footballing activities from concerts to dinners with Gazza. That’s because of the facilities we have, which comes at a cost in terms of higher rates 

I wonder how much the Premier Inn over the road pays in rates and if they are behind with payments 

If Ken is making out that we are getting charged too much and that’s why he is behind with payments then the Premier Inn over the road would give us a better understanding of what’s fair for a hotel in the area 

Certainly more relevant than comparing us with other clubs who don’t have hotels 

Edited by birch-chorley

2 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

If Ken is making out that we are getting charged too much and that’s why he is behind with payments then the Premier Inn over the road would give us a better understanding of what’s fair for a hotel in the area 

Certainly more relevant than comparing us with other clubs who don’t have hotels 

Not really unless Premier Inn added a stadium since I last went 

7 minutes ago, Flannel Truscott said:

Not really unless Premier Inn added a stadium since I last went 

You know what I mean, if we knew what they get charged then took it off what we get charged you’d have a NET figure that would give us a better comparison vs other football clubs 

Ken seems to have an excuse lined up every time something like this happens, it’s always someone else’s fault. I’d have more respect for him if he just held his hands up and said he’s overspent on players and he can’t afford the rates which is the real issue here 

Edited by birch-chorley

46 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

What division your in has nothing to do with business rates

I’d say our facilities are better than many clubs above us in the Pyramid including plenty of PL clubs (Huddersfield, Burnley, Bournemouth, Fulham, Crystal Oalace, Watford etc) 

It’s up to Ken as the owner of the business to make those facilities work. We’ve benefited from many non footballing activities from concerts to dinners with Gazza. That’s because of the facilities we have, which comes at a cost in terms of higher rates 

I wonder how much the Premier Inn over the road pays in rates and if they are behind with payments 

He’s got the Doidge money set aside

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

You know what I mean, if we knew what they get charged then took it off what we get charged you’d have a NET figure that would give us a better comparison vs other football clubs 

Ken seems to have an excuse lined up every time something like this happens, it’s always someone else’s fault. I’d have more respect for him if he just held his hands up and said he’s overspent on players and he can’t afford the rates which is the real issue here 

kens not said anything, has he?

only quotes are over 12 months old

but he is monaco based

• Site Supporter

Fair point birch.

I'm a bit surprised that that is how rates are calculated however.

I'd have thought that it would be based upon the value of the asset- buildings, land, location etc.

Do they rates for a shop change if it has a good couple of years?

Anyway what do I know.