Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sweaty Ken

Lostock Whites

listen its not a slant on PG, far from it, he brought us good times and with that came the bad. Purely from a business perspective which is what the discussion is focused on here with Ken, PG over the course of his reign, as a whole, worsened the clubs stability. Thats an undeniable fact.

He was rewarded / paid quite handsomely for it. Did he deserve that salary for the work he did? The work load he took on? Quite possibly. But all that pails in to insignificance when you look at where the club where when he went in and where it was when he left. (and i mean from a financial footing / stability perspective there)

And that is how a person in that role is assessed. Not by the number of hours worked, not by anything else. He was a corporate accountant and signed off deal after deal which plunged the club in to further & further debt. Like a gambling addict chasing his stake back.

Now Ken has come in and everyone is hoping he can steer us through bad times and back in to good. Dealing with the above issues as well as many others left over from the PG legacy and some question the temerity of the man for paying himself half of what PG did. 

Calling him a thief, a Fraud all kinds of shit. I honestly cant get my head around it.

Yes the percentage of what he has taken out against the whole turnover is surprising but he shouldnt devalue himself and the role he has played in stabilising the club to appease a few idiots 

He has been worth every single penny, Especially when you consider how much money we have had to pay players (who PG signed) that have done absolutely nothing but take take take from the club 

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Moderators

IF I was the millionaire owner of a Championship football club, swanky new restaurant's in London, a tax exile registered in Switzerland, with a place in Monaco and apparently own a big sea going boat, I doubt I'd be farting about much trying take a half million from one of my several businesses in a sort of clumsy way to try and disguise that was what I was doing - but that's just me I guess.

I'm simply happy to stick with the facts and let others speculate endlessly on what the payment of £525,000 for consultancy fees may (or may not) mean.

well, you wouldn't because you aren't

he didn't get into the position he's in by doing favours or working gratis

I don't think he's trying to disguise what he's doing either

he just knows the best way to go about doing it and making as much as he can for him and his family at the lowest possible cost to himself

hence being a tax exile registered in switzerland with a place in monaco

he might be many things, but he's not stupid when it comes to money

listen its not a slant on PG, far from it, he brought us good times and with that came the bad. Purely from a business perspective which is what the discussion is focused on here with Ken, PG over the course of his reign, as a whole, worsened the clubs stability. Thats an undeniable fact.

He was rewarded / paid quite handsomely for it. Did he deserve that salary for the work he did? The work load he took on? Quite possibly. But all that pails in to insignificance when you look at where the club where when he went in and where it was when he left. (and i mean from a financial footing / stability perspective there)

And that is how a person in that role is assessed. Not by the number of hours worked, not by anything else. He was a corporate accountant and signed off deal after deal which plunged the club in to further & further debt. Like a gambling addict chasing his stake back.

Now Ken has come in and everyone is hoping he can steer us through bad times and back in to good. Dealing with the above issues as well as many others left over from the PG legacy and some question the temerity of the man for paying himself half of what PG did. 

Calling him a thief, a Fraud all kinds of shit. I honestly cant get my head around it.

Yes the percentage of what he has taken out against the whole turnover is surprising but he shouldnt devalue himself and the role he has played in stabilising the club to appease a few idiots 

He has been worth every single penny, Especially when you consider how much money we have had to pay players (who PG signed) that have done absolutely nothing but take take take from the club 

I mean we're broadly in agreement on KA. I was just pointing out that there was for the majority of PG's time here a subtle difference in that PG was an employee of a premiership football club. Paid a salary to do a job set by ED. Whereas KA is the owner. It does somewhat tilt the discussion.

PG having a £500K salary for running a 40M plus pound business on behalf of ED vs KA taking out £750K from an £8.3M league one business whilst also being the majority shareholder.

The two are not in any real way equivalent. Gartside deserved his salary because it was what was agreed by his boss. Whether he backed that up in success or not is a different conversation. Presumably he did what ED wanted or he wouldn't have remained in the role.

However, it is entirely different to now and I don't think provides a justification (or otherwise) for the current situation. 

Ken is needed. His work here is needed. And as above anyone who thinks he'd do it for free is bonkers. At the same time the level he's taken out seems high, especially considering that he will profit IF his hard work results in the club being sold. 

• Site Supporter

ok so the success of each individual is neither here nor there. However, Ken has a similar role if not even more hands on than PG

so regardless of income the salary should be the same should it not? let alone half (which is what he is currently on)

If someone left my work on 100k a year and I went for the job and they offered me 50k due to 'decrease in income' i would tell them to fuck off

same principle.

We're not in the normal business world here Barry.

I personally don't give a fig if Ken is getting that level of money; so long as the club can afford it.

Same with players; Ken's repeatedly telling us we can't pay the players what they might want (given what they were on) and that's because of a drop in income, so it is a valid argument.

I said above it seems we don't really know how much he's getting, and I also believe he's doing a good job, so no point in getting knickers in twist over it.

well, you wouldn't because you aren't

he didn't get into the position he's in by doing favours or working gratis

I don't think he's trying to disguise what he's doing either

he just knows the best way to go about doing it and making as much as he can for him and his family at the lowest possible cost to himself

hence being a tax exile registered in switzerland with a place in monaco

I'm not sure what you seem to be saying to me?

I never said KA was stupid.

I never said he was working for free (but there are more just taking wages to earn yourself - growing the value of the business you own 95% is certainly a more efficient return on the effort you put into it).

If you think he's not trying to disguise what he's doing then why not simply pay yourself and put in down as Directors remuneration - he is certainly is entitled to it - and have it on the record?

Also paying money to another company you own is not avoiding paying tax as suggested above.  The company in receipt of it will be required tax on the money if they make a profit on it (and that would have happened on the KA company it was paid into as before the payment it was showed as dormant).

I prefer simply to stay with the facts on not speculate.

Just my way.

The company in receipt of it will be required tax on the money if they make a profit on it (and that would have happened on the KA company it was paid into as before the payment it was showed as dormant).

Unless it had losses carried forward from previous to offset against the tax possibly?

Exactly. Seem to remember a post a while back where he admitted that he'd only ever watched BWFC in the Allardyce years and beyond

A few more trips to Div 4 and flirting with bankruptcy and he'll be reet

Yeah that's true.

Got my 1st season ticket in 2002 when I was 6.

My opinion might be wrong but don't think that merits to having loads of abuse just towards having an opinion on the club.

We all want nothing more than the club to be successful.

We are in a bad state, but hopefully we can start the season good for once instead!

[quote name="ZicoKelly" post="1810772"

Apart from a recent “investment “ into a small football club?!

Yeah that's true.

Got my 1st season ticket in 2002 when I was 6.

My opinion might be wrong but don't think that merits to having loads of abuse just towards having an opinion on the club.

We all want nothing more than the club to be successful.

We are in a bad state, but hopefully we can start the season good for once instead!

IMO this is the only Wanderers message board worth bothering with and I hope you stick around but if you think you have received loads of abuse on this thread then maybe it isn't right for you.

• Members

DjIOHbTX4AEMbqS.jpg

More problems????

More

Marc Iles Retweeted John

Wanderers have made a statement... “We can confirm that there is an ongoing dispute which is now in the hands of our lawyers. Therefore it would be inappropriate for us to make any further comments at this stage.” #bwfc

• Moderators

I don't think anyone has an issue with you having an opinion, you are getting abuse for spouting utter bollocks. Anyone on here that spouts bollocks will get called out. It's full of grown ups, essentially. Welcome to the real world. Tldr; don't spout bollocks.

DjIOHbTX4AEMbqS.jpg

More problems????

Was that today? The same thing happened last year. Is it a recent development or someone regurgitating old news?

Just seen it on Twitter.

I find it hard to believe that we are supposedly making bids for players when he can’t pay his local suppliers.

Edited by Boby Brno

IMO this is the only Wanderers message board worth bothering with and I hope you stick around but if you think you have received loads of abuse on this thread then maybe it isn't right for you.

This!!

It's probably an age thing. What you see as abuse is nowt really. I joined this board for it's honesty. You either suck it up, bite back or ignore it. And don't bother with facts. They bore people  :D