Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sweaty Ken

Lostock Whites

3 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

No no no sang many a time before he blotted his copybook .Memorably at Derpdale after his backheel goal.

Guddon imo just a prehistoric board could not blame the guy for moving on.

So Bolton Wanderers supporters were singing Sha la la la Franny Lee FOUR YEARS BEFORE Tony Christie's single  Is This The Way To Amarillo?

Wow! Ahead of their time doesn't do it justice.

Sorry mods. I know this is a bit off subject but Bolty started it!

Edited by Chris Custodiet

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Chris Custodiet said:

So Bolton Wanderers supporters were singing Sha la la la Franny Lee FOUR YEARS BEFORE Tony Christie's single  Is This The Way To Amarillo?

It was sung to the Small Faces ‘Shalalalala’ tune which was in 1966.

• Members
15 hours ago, Chris Custodiet said:

JCL? You've lost me.

Gordon Taylor 'a favourite' in a team that included Eddie Hopkinson, Roy Hartle, Frannie Lee, Freddie Hill and Wyn Davies? Not for me I'm afraid, but I stood on the embankment  with a sllghtly better view.

Flying winger? I remember him being described as like a wound-up clockwork mouse. It was a bit cruel but not difficult to understand the observation..

See me? No thanks.

As for the real Tiger Taylor, he had a career in journalism after retiring from the ring.

Here's a bit about him written in relation to a boxing night of nostalgia held at the Savoy in 2015:

''He (Bobby Neill) also managed and trained world rated boxers including bantamweight Alan Rudkin and middleweight Johnny Pritchett, as well as featherweight Frankie ‘The Tiger’ Taylor whose epic clash with Lennie ‘The Lion’ Williams at the Royal Albert Hall is one if those domestic dust-ups which remains lodged indelibly in the mind.''

Maybe there were a few on the Lever End in the 60's with delible minds or no idea about anything going on outside Great Lever.

Here children, is a clear and unambiguous warning about the dangers of surviving on a diet consisting mainly of custard.

• Members
8 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Eye eye eye eye Eddie is better than yashin ....etc (Hoppy)

Sha la la la Franny Lee

Oh  Freddie Hill is God .....

You must have been in a parrallel universe than me not remembering any of those songs !!

I'm glad you're here mate. You beat me to the punch with all of them!

He seems to have a Great Lever fixation which, to this Tonge Moor/Tun Fowter seems rather odd.

9 hours ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Maybe the Lever End was not as loud as we thought we were and you couldn’t here us on the Embankment. You do remember ‘the’ banner though and Warbies? Don’t you?

11 hours ago, Steejay said:

It was sung to the Small Faces ‘Shalalalala’ tune which was in 1966.

Thanks Steejay. Who could forget the Small Faces? Me for one but now you remind me they were alright, I suppose, if you liked that kind of thing. The embankment lads were more into authentic American rockn'roll.

I also have to confess that I was usually playing footie on a Saturday afternoon from 1963 onwards. Maybe that's why Chunky has remained Chunky, why Tiger Taylor is remembered as a tough and celebrated little fighter from Lancaster and why undervaluing his nickname by giving it to a very average footballer figures high on the  naffometer.

2 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Come  on custard ...you do remember the banner from the embankment warbies???

Grow up.

No, the banner and the embankment warbies are not coming back to me.

But you could tell me whether the chant was Sha la la la Lee (which would have triggered the memory cells) or your Sha la la la Franny Lee, which didn't and sounds more like Amarillo.

20 hours ago, Steejay said:

We yell, we yell and when we yell, we yell like hell and this is what we yell

1-4-2-4 who the hell are we for, 

B-O-L-T-O-N, BOLTON 

Don't remember that exactly but its obviously based on a similar chant that had been around since the early fifties and probably longer. First chant I remember from visiting supporters were the Pompey chimes and they were still singing it half a century later.

• Members

It was Sha la la la Franny Lee as he says. Nothing like Amarillo but exactly like Sha la la la la la lee.

Maybe we peasants in other parts of Burnden could see the banner and you never looked backwards to wave at the passing train drivers?

Freddie Hill alias God. Getting the impression you'll come back and say 'no, no, it was Freddie Hill Allah'. You aren't Cheese by any chance or maybe a distant French relative mon ami?

23 minutes ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Grow up.

No, the banner and the embankment warbies are not coming back to me.

But you could tell me whether the chant was Sha la la la Lee (which would have triggered the memory cells) or your Sha la la la Franny Lee, which didn't and sounds more like Amarillo.

The banner was about 40ft long and 2 ft high. I can see how you missed it.

All seems trivial but you made some interesting points about the finances at the club but I doubt you were anywhere near Burnden in the sixties.  (I’ll be happy to admit I’m wrong)

Just wondering why?

2 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

The banner was about 40ft long and 2 ft high. I can see how you missed it.

All seems trivial but you made some interesting points about the finances at the club but I doubt you were anywhere near Burnden in the sixties.  (I’ll be happy to admit I’m wrong)

Just wondering why?

I barely ever missed a match at Burnden until leaving school in 1963. After that it was playing footie on Saturday afternoon rather than Saturday morning but I did get to most games that weren't played on a Saturday. I expect I would have remembered the banner if I'd seen it but as I don't remember it I probably didn't see it. Is it a hanging offence?

21 minutes ago, Chris Custodiet said:

I barely ever missed a match at Burnden until leaving school in 1963. After that it was playing footie on Saturday afternoon rather than Saturday morning but I did get to most games that weren't played on a Saturday. I expect I would have remembered the banner if I'd seen it but as I don't remember it I probably didn't see it. Is it a hanging offence?

No definately not just very odd recollections & missing the glaringly obvious chants banners & general nicknames of the sixties .....although your dislike of Tiger Taylor comes through load & clear 

Anyway do carry on tripping yourself up its been fun