Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sweaty Ken

Lostock Whites

Aye it kills any chance of a high gate or decent atmosphere.

Maybe it isn’t Ken’s fault our floaters won’t pay £30/£35 and either will theirs. 

Two average and below supports being charged that makes for a crap attendance. They aren’t Leeds and we aren’t Derby.

In isolation, their following will be 2k and we will have 10.

At £20-£25 there’s 18k plus on for this one. Obviously that doesn’t work all the time. That’s just the level Bolton and Wigan are at. 

I hate Wigan as much as the next man and we can talk about "it's their cup final", "fuck em", "it happens elsewhere" etc all we want, but you're asking people to pay £35 (29 for OAPs FFS) to watch shit standard, mid to lower 2nd division football a month before Christmas, it's just simply not on. 

4 minutes ago, enzo gambaro said:

No marks seem to have you pretty riled.

Most folk know the history off the field. On the field they think they are rivals but thier history and record is incomparable to ours. They are a Mickey Mouse club propelled by Whelans money and are batting a least 2 divisions above their weight. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Most folk know the history off the field. On the field they think they are rivals but thier history and record is incomparable to ours. They are a Mickey Mouse club propelled by Whelans money and are batting a least 2 divisions above their weight. 

Okay. 

25 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I hate Wigan as much as the next man and we can talk about "it's their cup final", "fuck em", "it happens elsewhere" etc all we want, but you're asking people to pay £35 (29 for OAPs FFS) to watch shit standard, mid to lower 2nd division football a month before Christmas, it's just simply not on. 

Correct mate but sadly that’s where it seems to be going 

it’s a derby game we need the 12th man atm, save the big prices for Leeds and villa etc not fucking wigan 

• Members
19 hours ago, Chris Custodiet said:

I barely ever missed a match at Burnden until leaving school in 1963. After that it was playing footie on Saturday afternoon rather than Saturday morning but I did get to most games that weren't played on a Saturday. I expect I would have remembered the banner if I'd seen it but as I don't remember it I probably didn't see it. Is it a hanging offence?

How terribly thin skinned of you. Still, you aren't a rice pudding I suppose.

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

How terribly thin skinned of you. Still, you aren't a rice pudding I suppose.

Will you ever grow up?

Looking back through Simon Marland's book reminded me that I was at a lot more matches  in the second half of the sixties than I had remembered but always on the Embankment.

I expect that I was more interested in what was happening on the pitch than the activities of the more juvenile contingent gathered at the Lever End.

Can't say I was agin Chunky Taylor and, whilst he was a Wanderer he would always have my support, but he was never a favourite. More a bit of an also-ran or poor man's Franny Lee, if you ask me.

Anyway to salve your grumpiness, here's a bit of Huey ''Piano'' Smith for you. Huey's recording was  the source  of one of the first original chants I recall, unique to and created by Bolton supporters, at Burnden Park (on the Embankment btw). It resonates a little bit with the valderee, valdera song at Wembey in '58 but isn't so wet.

Edited by Chris Custodiet

15 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

You left school in 1963? fuck me, no wonder you seem confused :D

Sha-la-la-la-Franny Lee - was sung to the chorus of Sha -La--La-La- Lee by the Small Faces, which went " Sha- la- - la- la-  sha- la - lee" .

I was 6 years old + i remember the chant from the Lever End.

Where the fcuk did Amarillo come from?

If it helps jog your memory, heres the song

PS - Gordon "Tiger" Taylor was from Ashton-Under-Lyne.

Sha -la-la la-lee works. So does Sha-la- Frannie Lee. But I still can't see how Sha-la-la-la- Frannie Lee works.

Whichever you way you cut it, at best, its a Junior League effort when compared with Neil Sedaka's songwriting, which included Amarillo btw.

40 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Have you ever met Malcolm? :|

No, but I seem to have agitated the elder brethren of the Gordon Taylor fan club. Didn't know he had a fan club tbh but each to their own. Would you like some more thoughts on Ken? Can't promise they won't be boring, mind you.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Marc505 said:

and as well being able to watch it easily at home, regardless of whether you think £33 or £35 is too much or not, fact is, the PL have capped away games at £30, so floating fans will probably look at that as well and think the price is just relatively too high these days, for what it is

Oh, and lads who'll baulk at paying £35 away at Wigan, a stone's throw away, wouldn't complain if it's £25 at Middlesbrough etc. Even at £35 for a local fixture, it's a cheaper awayday than most aways.

PS And that's before we work out how much folk spend on ale and drugs.

1 minute ago, Traf said:

Wigan will bring 1500 at £35, they'd bring 2000 at £25.

But it costs more to steward/police 2,000. 

Wigan won't buy anything in the club shop and the kiosk profits go to Heathcotes. 

I'm fairly sure Ken's done the maths.

Nah they took 4K to pne at £26 

£25 and they would have a large support 

3 hours ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Will you ever grow up?

Looking back through Simon Marland's book reminded me that I was at a lot more matches  in the second half of the sixties than I had remembered but always on the Embankment.

I expect that I was more interested in what was happening on the pitch than the activities of the more juvenile contingent gathered at the Lever End.

Can't say I was agin Chunky Taylor and, whilst he was a Wanderer he would always have my support, but he was never a favourite. More a bit of an also-ran or poor man's Franny Lee, if you ask me.

Anyway to salve your grumpiness, here's a bit of Huey ''Piano'' Smith for you. Huey's recording was  the source  of one of the first original chants I recall, unique to and created by Bolton supporters, at Burnden Park (on the Embankment btw). It resonates a little bit with the valderee, valdera song at Wembey in '58 but isn't so wet.

Bloody hell  remember that chant in the Lever end early 80s wondered WTF it came from and now I know. Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Bloody hell  remember that chant in the Lever end early 80s wondered WTF it came from and now I know. Thanks. 

My pleasure. Huey ''Piano'' Smith wasn't well-known in the UK but the guy who introduced it was really into his American music and regularly led the chants on the Embankment in the late fifties/early sixties.

6 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Exactly, now we are talking, i dont give a flying fook what we charge the thick pie eating fuckers, if i was sweaty Ken i would charge them a tenner a pint and twenty dabs for a pie!

But only heathcotes benefit from that.

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Ok fair play ....a guy called Tony Brookes used to lead that chant on the Lever End in the sixties ( probably no longer with us as he was a total barnpot)

2 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Nah they took 4K to pne at £26 

£25 and they would have a large support 

They only brought 2,400 last time at £25-£28. That said, now that they’re confident of a win, I fancy they’ll still bring close to 3,000 at £35, even more so if they manage to do the same as Blackburn and sell lower tier first at £30.

Also worth mentioning that it’s cheaper to police 4,000 at PNE than it is even 2,500 at BWFC because of fans being accommodated in two separate areas.