Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Maybe Been Done Before

SatanGreavsie

• Moderators

i think the reserve league at the time was still called the central league

growing up, liverpool won it every year, generally with teams made up of players whoi never made it beyond liverpool reserves

im sure that carrolls team won the league

i thought we were on to something

Went to the "meet the manager " thing in the Balmoral :) where somebody asked Phil Neal about Stevens & he replied in a snotty, "I know best" way.

Even though he was right, he did himself no favours with his unpleasant attitude.

Well of course he knew best. Do you not remember all those goalscoring records dead-eye shots Reeves and Morgan broke!?

I think Bolton Va va has probably summed it up.

It was the snotty disrespectful attitude of Neal towards a young fan (he was about 14 at the time).

We had precious few interested fans at that time and to be pissing them off like that was poor form.

Having said that, he did take the phone call and I don't think any manager before or since would have! 

Agree Neal was or had good scouts definately improved the playing squad in terms of quality .Andy Walker was his best signing just a pity he didnt have good manergerial qualities.Remember him blubbering when we beat Bury to get to the playoff final I thought get a grip you tart .Imagine Rioch doing that .No you cant, that was the difference for me.

Neal could find a cure for male pattern baldness and beer guts but would still be castigated by some.

He turned the direction of travel around and left the club in a better situation than he took it over with.

Yep!!!

He inherited an absolute clusterfuck of a football club that was at absolute rock bottom

There was no money in football in them days and it may be a rose-tinted/romantic view of things but he was the beginning of our rise from Div 4 to Div 1. He reached the limit of his managerial abilities but at least he set us on the road upwards