Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Adoption & Fostering

Smiley

I see adoptions and adoption celebrations every day through work, truly inspiring seeing them succeed especially knowing what background the children have come from in many cases.

Huge respect for any adopting family and not enough of them around, bloody heroes.

One of our close friends is a Foster mum and is in the process of adopting one of the kids as he's severely disabled and they couldn't face sending him to care for the rest of his life.

She's still in touch with the adoptive families of some of the kids she's fostered.

If the wife's health allows it we've talked about fostering in a few years one mini me is older

Got a very good mate who’s brought up his own 2 kids and now at 57 adopted a young girl who’s got a lot of problems meet up with them quite often and always have a great time and the young girl is great fun despite her obvious problems. Good luck with it I’m sure it’ll add an extra dimension to your life. ????

Back in the day did a couple of Guardian Ad Litem applications for prospective adopters on behalf of the LA. Nice to have a positive outcome and see a family genuinely thrilled at bringing up a fostered child as one of their own.

FWIW I think that foster carers are latter day saints that deserve every credit that is awarded them. 30 years on I still harbour fond memories of a Scottish family who would take on kids at the drop of a hat, no matter how disturbed and difficult they were, doing everything they could to see that those kid(s) had the best they could offer for the duration. Brings a tear to the old eyes even now!

My mate & his Mrs couldn't have kids, so they went down the adoption route. They adopted a baby, unfortunately the child devolped learning difficulties and at the moment her mental age is that of a 5 year old, she's now 15. I know my mate has found it very hard at times, like taking his daughter to say Mcdonalds, or going to a restaurant and even flying, people can be cruel especially kids and people laughing and sniggering has really upset him at times. He said he would never adopt again, but him & his Mrs are brilliant parents and their adoptive child is a lucky girl.

The outlaws have just finished a 30 plus year stint of taking in foster kids. It's a very frustrating, emotional and can be a very rewarding venture to set out on.They fostered for an agency called Alpha Plus who take on the the most 'damaged' young uns which are left when councils cherry pick the least difficult kids.

Come across foster parents quite a bit through work over the years.. incredible people I don't know how they do it.

Adoption wise I don't think you can do anything that will have as much a profound and positive effect on someone's life as adopt them. Not to mention something that will effect your own life as much. Congratulations