Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Skiathos

worthy10

If you want a beach holiday then Koukounaries is the place to be, if you want someething a bit more livelier then it's Skiathos town. Did a 3 Island trip last time I was there, Flew to Sliathos and had a week in the Town, ferry over to Skopolos for 4 days, then to Alonissos for 2 days then back to Skiathos for a day before flying home

Stayed in Hotel Alkyon in Skiathos, nice little family hotel run by Kiki and Georgina, They kept bringing me pieces of cake over for some reason, anyhow, it's just outside the town centre but only a 4 or 5 minute walk to the centre, there's a bus stop outside so getting round the island is cheap and easy

Been meaning to go back for the last 10 years but never got round to it, can't really recommend and bars or eateries as it's been a while since I was there, oh and the airport is about 2km from Skiathos town so don't prebook and transfers, they are about two quid from a taxi outside the airport

If you want a beach holiday then Koukounaries is the place to be, if you want someething a bit more livelier then it's Skiathos town. Did a 3 Island trip last time I was there, Flew to Sliathos and had a week in the Town, ferry over to Skopolos for 4 days, then to Alonissos for 2 days then back to Skiathos for a day before flying home

Stayed in Hotel Alkyon in Skiathos, nice little family hotel run by Kiki and Georgina, They kept bringing me pieces of cake over for some reason, anyhow, it's just outside the town centre but only a 4 or 5 minute walk to the centre, there's a bus stop outside so getting round the island is cheap and easy

Been meaning to go back for the last 10 years but never got round to it, can't really recommend and bars or eateries as it's been a while since I was there, oh and the airport is about 2km from Skiathos town so don't prebook and transfers, they are about two quid from a taxi outside the airport

Thanks

Been mid May for last 3 years and love the place, has so much for a small island and at that time of year everything just starting up but so relaxed. Does mean the sunbeds might not be out on a lot of the beaches but we prefer that. Stayed self catering in Aghia Paraskevi / Kolios roughly half way along the south coast as we like to get out and about without being tied but if you want hotels loads of smaller ones in town and larger ones spread along the island, Atrium, Skiathos Princess. One main road with regular buses (every 20 min in May) 2 euro from one end of the island to the the other. Loads of beaches large to small (claims of 65, some being the size of your living room) crystal clear sea and a multitude of tavernas and restaurants, cheapest meal for 2 with wine was 22 euro and most expensive 100+ last year. If you're active fantastic for walking, through Mandraki forest and to beaches on the north side. Old port is great for sitting people watching in the cocktail bars, new port for booking boat trips. Worth hiring a jeep to explore northern side, roads are largely unmade and some hairy hills. Too many things to see and do so my only recommendation would be get out and about and explore. If you want any more info pm me.

Been mid May for last 3 years and love the place, has so much for a small island and at that time of year everything just starting up but so relaxed. Does mean the sunbeds might not be out on a lot of the beaches but we prefer that. Stayed self catering in Aghia Paraskevi / Kolios roughly half way along the south coast as we like to get out and about without being tied but if you want hotels loads of smaller ones in town and larger ones spread along the island, Atrium, Skiathos Princess. One main road with regular buses (every 20 min in May) 2 euro from one end of the island to the the other. Loads of beaches large to small (claims of 65, some being the size of your living room) crystal clear sea and a multitude of tavernas and restaurants, cheapest meal for 2 with wine was 22 euro and most expensive 100+ last year. If you're active fantastic for walking, through Mandraki forest and to beaches on the north side. Old port is great for sitting people watching in the cocktail bars, new port for booking boat trips. Worth hiring a jeep to explore northern side, roads are largely unmade and some hairy hills. Too many things to see and do so my only recommendation would be get out and about and explore. If you want any more info pm me.

thanks for that.

• 2 months later...
  • Site Supporter

"Chapter IV - Skiathos

A real winner this. At least a dozen WWays recommended bars that did cheap lager - all 1 euro or less - so Skiathos is definitely somewhere we'll return to once we've covered the rest of Earth and it's neighbouring planets.

One bar up on a mountainside had rather a lot of goats poking their heads round the door and I swear some of them had lipstick on. But at 1 euro a pint, no complaints from the Worthys!"