Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Toronto

Walkden26

Hire a car to Niagra mate

Also visit Niagra on the lake as well nice wee village with a good old English pub in the middle.

Go to a baseball game as well at Rogers centre. Real sports bar is superb as well for watching any sports bar that is on. Across road from the main station.

Cracking City it really is

Went when we played them in a pre-season game in 2010 - loved the place - clean, tidy and nice atmosphere

CN Tower is an absolute must - the lift up there absolutely terrified me

Wayne Gretzky's bar was a great place with a nice rooftop terrace bar

I had the two daughters with me so we booked a coach trip to Niagara - expensive but included a trip to a winery where they harvest the frozen grapes in the deep winter to make the "ice wine" and included a meal at the hotel that looks over the falls. It also included a trip on the "Maid of The Mist", the boat that takes you right close up to the falls - got to be one of the best things that I've ever done on holiday - you get really nervous when the boat gets close to the falls. You could do them all on your on and save some money of course but I couldn't be arsed with the driving. Also make sure that you are near the falls when it goes dark as they put on a great fireworks display and light the falls up in different colours

Down side at that time of year (June/July August) is the humidity - it's really bad - but the upside is you get belting thunderstorms and we had a cracker at Niagara  

• Site Supporter

Niagra on the Lake, bloody gorgeous. Niagra itself, absolute shithole. Car definitely required. It looks close on the map but is a decent drive around the lake. The Yanks/Canadians hate folk jumping on the glass floor up the CN Tower.

Do's, don'ts, must see etc. Going in June.

Thanks

Already been said but go up the CN Tower (when my daughter and I went, we had a meal up there and we both thought it was absolutely fantastic.  Not only that but by booking a meal you can jump the queues at the lifts and save yourself ages in waiting down at the bottom)!

I did feel it a bit queasy eating whilst the restraint was revolving but I changed seats with my girl (to look forward to where we were rotating to, rather than be backwards looking to where we've just been) and was fine after that.

If your lucks in, the baseball game venue might have its roof open, in which case you get a fantastic view of the tower (or visa versa if you are up the tower at the time).

To be honest apart from the Tower and the baseball stadium I found Toronto a bit dull - I'm not a great fan of American/Canadian beer.

However we both loved Niagara.

Before we went there it was described to us as a sort of 'Blackpool' with all sorts of amusements situated near the centre of attention - the Falls.  After going there I kind of understand what people meant but it wasn't anything like Blackpool 'tacky' with drunks and drugs around the back streets - but an American sort of bigger and better service type Blackpool if you can sort of understand what I'm trying to say.

As I say we loved it and would go back again tomorrow if we could.

Niagara is on the boarder with the USA and can be viewed on either side.  The Canadian side is the one with the hotels and the 'Blackpool' sort of vibe,  The American side was more plain and wholesome with the highlight on that side being able to walk down besides the Falls from the top to the bottom - and appreciate the raw power of it.

The Canadian side as I've said had the entertainments, including the worst waxworks in the world - which we laughed so much in because we had no idea who the models were supposed to be until we read the captions at the side of them - I had tears running down my cheeks laughing so much.

You can walk under the falls on the Canadian side but that was really dull.  I much preferred the tourist bus they had that took you down beside the river were you can get out and walk along besides the river after the Fall and be in awe at natures power.

If you've got the time I'd recommend you do both sides - I love stuff like this - but maybe it might not be your cup of tea.

If you only did one side, do the Canadian side and enjoy the 'Blackpoolism' of the place as well as the majesty of the Falls themselves.

You can catch the boat from either side - another must do thing - obviously.

Hope you really enjoy your experience of Niagara and Toronto as much as we did.

Edited by Sluffy

• Site Supporter

Oh yes, The Maid of the Mist...

They give you a coloured poncho thing. Each boat used a different colour I think. I reckon they're to identify where floating bodies came from rather than for keeping you dry because they were bloody hopeless.

CN Tower.

Blue Jays baseball game.

Hire car and drive to Niagara. Do the Maid of the Mist. Jetboat ride. Helicopter over the falls.

Drive to Niagara-on-Lake.

Get ferry to island in Toronto - best views of the city skyline from here. Hire a bike or tandem & cycle round the island. Has a nudist beach I believe.

CN Tower.

Blue Jays baseball game.

Hire car and drive to Niagara. Do the Maid of the Mist. Jetboat ride. Helicopter over the falls.

Drive to Niagara-on-Lake.

Get ferry to island in Toronto - best views of the city skyline from here. Hire a bike or tandem & cycle round the island. Has a nudist beach I believe.

Don't claim shotgun and sit in the front seat and brick it at all the buttons that could potentially kill you all.

Amazing views from the front seat though.

• 5 months later...

Just set off on a coach trip to Niagara, glad I was able to find this thread again. Assuming we’re being dropped off at the Canadian side but will definitely be going on the Maid of the Mist.

Been here 5 nights so far, amazing city, so much choice for booze and food which is pretty much 50% of my holidays. Went to the football yesterday but the game was dog shit, a distant third both on and off the pitch compared to the rugby on Saturday and baseball on Friday (despite the $10 and $15 per can respectively)

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Sweep said:

Watching this game tonight, it's painful.

No wonder RL is almost a dead sport. What a load of shit. If this is prime time, then the 'sport' will be dead within 10 years.

What a pile of talentless shit

You've been watching two championship teams trying to get into SL playing in first game in a decade to have no tries in it. Watch the grand final next weekend and judge the sport again. I'm far from saying the sport is at its peak but it's like saying our match v Blackburn is representative of football at its best.

39 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

You've been watching two championship teams trying to get into SL playing in first game in a decade to have no tries in it. Watch the grand final next weekend and judge the sport again. I'm far from saying the sport is at its peak but it's like saying our match v Blackburn is representative of football at its best.

Aye, that's a fair enough comment - it was biz though

Big E mader me go and watch England v New Zealand at West Hams ground two or three years ago......I think that finished about 9-2, and was as biz as that game last night. Perhaps I'm just unlucky :mellow:

3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Aye, that's a fair enough comment - it was biz though

Big E mader me go and watch England v New Zealand at West Hams ground two or three years ago......I think that finished about 9-2, and was as biz as that game last night. Perhaps I'm just unlucky :mellow:

Like every sport there will always be poor games and some incredible tussles but to label the sport on the basis of one or two games is a little unfair. RL does have to improve it's image or it will die a slow death

38 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

. RL does have to improve it's image or it will die a slow death

A lot of people (RL fans) are happy to say how RL is a far superior sport and a better watch than RU  -  yet RU seems to be miles ahead in every possible way (attendances, marketing, TV etc) - why do you reckon that is?

it's not a loaded question, I'm just generally intrigued as to why RL seems to be falling so far behind RU, especially when it is supposed to be a better spectator sport

2 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

I guess it's because it's their sport

Used to work with a bloke who was big into ice hockey. Reckoned it was great to watch as it is fast moving, end to end and plenty of punch ups. What's not to like? 

But popularity wise it's less than county cricket (possibly)

For a while the Coventry Blaze ice hockey got higher attendance than cov City, dunno if that's still the case. It was while the team was shite and the off the field stuff was even shitter. 

They get about 2.5k every game. Its a good evening out. 

My mates who are big rugby league fans bemoan the fact the RFL have appointed a succession of numpties to run the sport. 

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

A lot of people (RL fans) are happy to say how RL is a far superior sport and a better watch than RU  -  yet RU seems to be miles ahead in every possible way (attendances, marketing, TV etc) - why do you reckon that is?

it's not a loaded question, I'm just generally intrigued as to why RL seems to be falling so far behind RU, especially when it is supposed to be a better spectator sport

RU has mass appeal across the UK and therefore will always dominate in terms of TV coverage, marketing and PR though, in my opinion, it is a far more complex game and relies heavily on the kicking game rather than running game that is integral in RL which to your point makes it more attractive to watch generally. The slow decline of the popularity of RL is due in part to less benefactors prepared to bank roll the clubs to the same extent as they have done previously and you can see with Leigh and Salford in the last 12 months plus SKY don't have the interests of the clubs at heart.  Having said all of that Sale Sharks are struggling just like Salford are, crowds of less than 5k coupled with dire performances on the field too so the directors are having to dig deep to keep that club going. The re-organisation of the sport (RL) for next season has meant to address some of the issues but more needs to be done in my view to turn it around