it was fantastic

but, in reality, this great football lasted about a month

and within that month, we drew at home to blackpool

fantastic entertainment that game and we shouldve edged it 23-19

but it really wasnt total football all the way

and we had the 12th highest wage bill in the league

lisbon

• Moderators

Suppose that's why they were at Bolton rather than a top club.

Other than holden did any of coyles signings amount to much?

i think he signed alonso but got nowt out of him

hes still a defender who cant defend

• Moderators

He'll be remembered for Mears, Eagles, Petrov, Andrews, Sordell, Mills, Ngog, what a shocking waste of money.

in terms of transfer fees probably not far off what was paid for Elmander, be about a couple of million in it

At the father in law's funeral 3 years ago I was talking to the wife's cousin who was on the under 18's coaching staff until around that time. He told me that Freedman had a strategy but no one else could fathom it out but in his opinion Coyle was nothing but a con man - full of bullshit but totally clueless.

in terms of transfer fees probably not far off what was paid for Elmander, be about a couple of million in it

Elmander was also a bad deal but Megson had at least brought in the likes of Cahill, Muamba, Steinsson, Klasnic, Taylor which made us stronger. Coyles signings just made us weaker apart from Holden.

• Moderators

aye, not debating signing quality

Megson bought the far better players, he spent upwards of £36M

probably didn't leave as much in the pot for Coyle who spent about half that, but when he did spend, he bought gash

Holden showed though you don't always need cash to find a good player

aye, not debating signing quality

Megson bought the far better players, he spent upwards of £36M

probably didn't leave as much in the pot for Coyle who spent about half that, but when he did spend, he bought gash

Holden showed though you don't always need cash to find a good player

don’t forget we went got 7m back for Cahill and 15m for Anelka in 2008

Coyle signings towards the end especially the contracts to Andrews and mills were scandalous

agree with that

but if it didn't take much to turn it round, it doesn't reflect well on Megson

there are traits in both that the other lacked which would've made them a better manager

Megson was trundling along at around 1PPG. It wasn't like we had to massively improve and nor did we in terms of points that season.

Neither were very good I agree. And I'd not want some sort of combo of them either.

Coyle simply isn't in any shape or form a manager. He doesn't have any qualities that would persuade me we'd want. If being a positive person qualifies you for it, then half the population of the world are qualified. 

Coyle’s lack of nous was glossed over by Muamba and Holden, who were all over the pitch for 90 minutes and did everything. The cover up was confirmed when the team looked knackered after 70 minutes throughout our relegation season. Top training methods Owen.

As for his PPG; perhaps it would be higher if the useless prick would accept a draw for once, instead of going for the win. Taking Muamba off for a striker at Norwich for instance (let’s not bring that record up again, though he’d have played every minute for me) was baffling.

At the father in law's funeral 3 years ago I was talking to the wife's cousin who was on the under 18's coaching staff until around that time. He told me that Freedman had a strategy but no one else could fathom it out but in his opinion Coyle was nothing but a con man - full of bullshit but totally clueless.

Freedman was an utter charlatan. For him to try and pass of his brand of absolute fucking shite as a strategy takes some nerve.

Freedman was an utter charlatan. For him to try and pass of his brand of absolute fucking shite as a strategy takes some nerve.

Nah. A few folks I spoke to in the club said he knew what he was doing, but he came from Palace who were small at the time and everyone knew and liked him to Bolton with loads of backroom staff and loads of people he needed to get on board. He had no people skills or man management skills and put people's backs up far too easily. A good public example was freezing out Davies. Whilst it was clear SKD was coming to the end of his career, not picking him in squads at all, caused needless issues behind the scenes and made a point he wasn't in a strong enough position to make.But it went far beyond the team to backroom staff, even the groundsmen etc.....

He had a minor breakdown as he couldn't cope with the magnitude of the job and rather than gradually implementing what he wanted and bringing people along with him, he just expected it day one and couldn't cope with the fallout. 

Nah. A few folks I spoke to in the club said he knew what he was doing, but he came from Palace who were small at the time and everyone knew and liked him to Bolton with loads of backroom staff and loads of people he needed to get on board. He had no people skills or man management skills and put people's backs up far too easily. A good public example was freezing out Davies. Whilst it was clear SKD was coming to the end of his career, not picking him in squads at all, caused needless issues behind the scenes and made a point he wasn't in a strong enough position to make.But it went far beyond the team to backroom staff, even the groundsmen etc.....

He had a minor breakdown as he couldn't cope with the magnitude of the job and rather than gradually implementing what he wanted and bringing people along with him, he just expected it day one and couldn't cope with the fallout. 

He was shite. He was shite at Forest after us too.

He ain't managing now because he's shite.

In short, he's shite

• Moderators

don’t forget we went got 7m back for Cahill and 15m for Anelka in 2008

Coyle signings towards the end especially the contracts to Andrews and mills were scandalous

yeah I know all this, they were as bad and as good as each other and it's not worth trying to place one above the other

both helped us recover from the position the previous one left us in, then had a good season, and then it went tits up after that

all I can say is game for game I enjoyed going to the match far more during the Coyle era with what was on offer, despite going down

they are both still better than DF though

and Lennon

(and Lee)

likewise I enjoyed the best that Lennon had to offer far more than what DF had to offer, despite going down

Edited by ZicoKelly

Megson was not only a Cunt but also an awful manager. Only time I have ever came close to canning it off.

For whatever reason time has skewed people's thoughts .

Coyle was awful in the end. He was too stubborn to change a few things. I don't think he has ever recovered from the semi final pasting.

Freedman was a bit of a mentalist. But was very close to getting us back up at the first attempt. I think if he had his managerial career would of panned out differently

Came across a Palace radio podcast featuring an interview with Freedman recently. Skip to 1:46 to hear him talk about us.

http://rednbluearmy.co.uk/articles/01-06-16-dougie-freedman-interview

In his words, Gartside sold the club to him, he thought about changing his mind on the way up here, he knew he’d made a mistake after the first training session and so on.

Megson was not only a Cunt but also an awful manager. Only time I have ever came close to canning it off.

For whatever reason time has skewed people's thoughts .

Coyle was awful in the end. He was too stubborn to change a few things. I don't think he has ever recovered from the semi final pasting.

Freedman was a bit of a mentalist. But was very close to getting us back up at the first attempt. I think if he had his managerial career would of panned out differently

poor mate you don’t jack it off because of a manager

Gets to me that people who say I’m not going while Megson in charge, probably the same ones who still don’t come

• Moderators

Came across a Palace radio podcast featuring an interview with Freedman recently. Skip to 1:46 to hear him talk about us.

http://rednbluearmy.co.uk/articles/01-06-16-dougie-freedman-interview

In his words, Gartside sold the club to him, he thought about changing his mind on the way up here, he knew he’d made a mistake after the first training session and so on.

his exact words were PG "played me like a kipper and told me everything I wanted to hear"

I bet Lennon would say the same