Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers 1-0 Bristol City

little whitt

Great win & as soon as clough came on we started to play with belief(plus our vocal support which was top notch tonight)

Ameobi & Vela stepped up the speed of our attacks & we didnt try to sit on our narrow lead Clough should have wrapped it up but heyho we fucking won!

We have struggled with a back three previously is this now the way forward or have the players just produced a one off 110% performance?

Not a poor performance on the pitch.

Walker possibly didn’t offer much but he was thrown in against one of the biggest defenders in the league and held his own and caused problems. There will be games where he can be far more effective going forward.

The midfield 2 really grew into the game, I didn’t think anyone stood out in the 1st half, in particularly Henry and Derik but they were brilliant in the 2nd half. Derik seems to be determined to prove that he can play in this league/team and made a lot of good interceptions/blocks and Henry was his usual self. Nothing fancy, won important battles, calmed things down when it was needed and completely slowed the game down with his ‘professionalism’ once we went 1-0 up. I don’t think his influence can be appreciated enough!

The wing backs were immense all game, Robinson looks bigger and stronger and is a real threat going forward, every so often he is caught out of position defensively but his pace helps him out, the improvement from the start of the season is very impressive. Little just continued to stake his claim for player of the year for me, a very solid and possibly under-rated part of our turnaround this season.

The back 3 were unbeatable, it was one of those games where it looked like we could have played forever and they’d have kept a clean sheet. Wheater is a man mountain at the moment, Beevers was good but needs to sort his distribution out as expected, but Dervite for me deserves the most credit. He looks like a different player since he’s been back in the team, he’s not put a foot wrong. Whether it was in the air, on the floor or an important interception, he’s winning everything. Fair play to him coming in and being on top of his game after so long out and let’s be honest most people (including myself) writing him off.

Going forward I thought Vela grew into the game, he started to get hold of the ball and play it around early in the second half, rather than just aimlessly help it on like he has been doing to Madine for the past few months. As many others have said once Clough came on he seemed to go up another gear and it was good to see them both linking up again... if Clough scores his chance then Vela’s dummy would be one hell of an assist.

Clough did seem to change the game, he still gets knocked off the ball every so often and he obviously missed the chance to put the game to bed. But, he gave the crowd a lift, his movement and link up play with Vela and Ameobi gave the Bristol defence something to think about and for the goal made a good run to the right to open up the space for Ameobi to shoot. He’s only going to get better/sharper this season and clearly has the desire to see the club safe.

Finally Ameobi... he was asked to take on the the role of being the main man. Long balls were sent to him, he was asked to play different positions, he was asked to play out of position and lead the line and he was asked to still chase back and win challenges and possession in the 93rd minute. He seemed to thrive on it and considering how many others put in such good performances was an easy choice for MoM. I was shouting for him to pass when he was running at the defence but it was a brilliant finish, he caused them problems all game and filled the role of leading the team. He might have games where he isn’t quite as effective but he is a match winner and will have a big say in us staying up.

More than anything the confidence that winning today, without Madine, will have given us is massive. We won’t win them all and there will be times, probably away from home against the better teams, where we will wonder why we got rid of him, but overall I think today showed that we have enough to stay up which IMO with the start we had and everything that has gone on will be a bigger achievement than promotion last year. If we can manage to make it to the summer still in this league, financially better off from the Madine sale and with another few big earners off the books then we should be finally close to a level playing field with the rest of the league.

Either that or I’m just excited and pissed after a good win ????

Keith Andrews representing on sky

Can't recall owt he did for us, yet he will have probably earned 2 million of his 2 year 20k a week deal

3 fucking year deal. 31 years old he was. Coyle again. Is it any wonder we ended up fucked?

Radcliffewhite; fuck me, if that’s all you can take out of tonight’s game it’s time to give it up son.

Absolutely delighted. Right old booze up for me tonight after that, and it’s only the start of the weekend ????

Edited by BWFC_LOVE

I fancied us in a backs to the wall cup style. I thought it was a deacon game they are a good side who had an off day and we defended very well and showed some class attack wise.

Really enjoyed it and a few scoops after for a change. If Parky keeps them that motivated we’ll be fine.

I like Mark Little goodun

Not a poor performance on the pitch.

Walker possibly didn’t offer much but he was thrown in against one of the biggest defenders in the league and held his own and caused problems. There will be games where he can be far more effective going forward.

The midfield 2 really grew into the game, I didn’t think anyone stood out in the 1st half, in particularly Henry and Derik but they were brilliant in the 2nd half. Derik seems to be determined to prove that he can play in this league/team and made a lot of good interceptions/blocks and Henry was his usual self. Nothing fancy, won important battles, calmed things down when it was needed and completely slowed the game down with his ‘professionalism’ once we went 1-0 up. I don’t think his influence can be appreciated enough!

The wing backs were immense all game, Robinson looks bigger and stronger and is a real threat going forward, every so often he is caught out of position defensively but his pace helps him out, the improvement from the start of the season is very impressive. Little just continued to stake his claim for player of the year for me, a very solid and possibly under-rated part of our turnaround this season.

The back 3 were unbeatable, it was one of those games where it looked like we could have played forever and they’d have kept a clean sheet. Wheater is a man mountain at the moment, Beevers was good but needs to sort his distribution out as expected, but Dervite for me deserves the most credit. He looks like a different player since he’s been back in the team, he’s not put a foot wrong. Whether it was in the air, on the floor or an important interception, he’s winning everything. Fair play to him coming in and being on top of his game after so long out and let’s be honest most people (including myself) writing him off.

Going forward I thought Vela grew into the game, he started to get hold of the ball and play it around early in the second half, rather than just aimlessly help it on like he has been doing to Madine for the past few months. As many others have said once Clough came on he seemed to go up another gear and it was good to see them both linking up again... if Clough scores his chance then Vela’s dummy would be one hell of an assist.

Clough did seem to change the game, he still gets knocked off the ball every so often and he obviously missed the chance to put the game to bed. But, he gave the crowd a lift, his movement and link up play with Vela and Ameobi gave the Bristol defence something to think about and for the goal made a good run to the right to open up the space for Ameobi to shoot. He’s only going to get better/sharper this season and clearly has the desire to see the club safe.

Finally Ameobi... he was asked to take on the the role of being the main man. Long balls were sent to him, he was asked to play different positions, he was asked to play out of position and lead the line and he was asked to still chase back and win challenges and possession in the 93rd minute. He seemed to thrive on it and considering how many others put in such good performances was an easy choice for MoM. I was shouting for him to pass when he was running at the defence but it was a brilliant finish, he caused them problems all game and filled the role of leading the team. He might have games where he isn’t quite as effective but he is a match winner and will have a big say in us staying up.

More than anything the confidence that winning today, without Madine, will have given us is massive. We won’t win them all and there will be times, probably away from home against the better teams, where we will wonder why we got rid of him, but overall I think today showed that we have enough to stay up which IMO with the start we had and everything that has gone on will be a bigger achievement than promotion last year. If we can manage to make it to the summer still in this league, financially better off from the Madine sale and with another few big earners off the books then we should be finally close to a level playing field with the rest of the league.

Either that or I’m just excited and pissed after a good win ????

agree 100% ????

Massive!  Was a nailed on pen and they seemed to hardly turn up but . . .

Not having seen us play 90 mins for a while the effort and togetherness was impressive and once we had stifled them we started showing second half.

Big credit to Parky and the lads there.  Keep doing that and we'll be looking up at mid table before long.

Still think we should look at getting another lump up top, if we can?

Brilliant result and goal.

Parky deserves plaudits for bringing Clough on, his vision and movement added to the team.

Clough needs to be a focus of a team something Warburton the exForest manager didn't understand (and a lot of managers in the English game)