Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Leasehold/freehold

radcliffe white

Just a heads up for those who are unaware

My mums house leasehold ran down to 50years as we have found out whilst doing probate etc

Now when my mum bought the house she was advised to buy the freehold as future problems can arise for people inheriting later on (and she ignored ????)

Bottom line it’s a cool £15k to buy and it’s pretty much un mortgageable for any new buyers unless cash purchase, as we will now have to contribute or pay the full amount to sell

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's something I come across more & more at work. It is mortgageable for now (just) but anybody buying the property would have to use a lender that's happy with that remaining term.

Some lenders like Clydesdale Bank & Natwest will lend if there's 50 yrs left now - agreed on a case by case basis, but the lender's surveyor might down value the property if they think the low lease term affects it - which could affect any sale.

• Moderators

On this subject, I bought a new house 10 years ago, it was £120 a year land rent. That was after previously paying a peppercorn rent ie free. New build robbing cunts, I'm hoping to be able to PPI style claim it back at some point. Current house has 950 years left and is £7 a year.

@Hazzy - mortgage renewal time in 2 years, I'll give you a shout then.

Amazing now to think that the leaseholders use to get one of the residents to collect the ground rent for them. For nothing!

Mate of mine was contacted by one of them once asking if he'd knock on his neighbours doors and collect the £5 each off them all. I can imagine his response!

Just dug out a letter I ignored when we moved into our house. Couple of years old the letter but says we can buy the holding for 50 quid. Ground rent seems to be a couple of quid a year. We got massively screwed over by our estate agent and seller when we bought our house, I still can't believe we can't prosecute them for it. Unsurprisingly they didn't mention this either, although this is my fault for ignoring it. Safe to say I'm shitting myself till the morning when I ring to see if the 50 quid deal still stands.

• Site Supporter

Not an issue on older properties but an absolute scam on new builds. Ours is £300 a year the greedy bastards.

Even bigger scam though is covenants; our last home was new but a freehold yet I had to pay the original developers £250 to 'apply' for the right to build a conservatory. Both these things are a rip off.