Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Our Hatred Of Manchester Utd.

worthy10

It's all about were you grow up imo, from darwen so I hate Blackburn can remember praying united beat west ham so them bastards didn't win the league, didn't go down too well on the coach back from wolves. Remember driving back through darwen while they celebrated winning the Premier league. Hated that journey home. A few months later we had been promoted and we were beating the Blackburn bastards 2-1 at burnden. Seeing their fans shitting themselves before and after the game brought a smile to my face ????

I think its an age thing.

As a youngster I hated Man U with all my heart , but then thats what was expected as a Bolton fan, even tho Id never seen us play against them .  Me an the old man queued round the block for tickets to the cup game at old trafford in the early 90's an I reckon we werent within 4000 of the front before they sold out and we were far from being at the back of the line. Later I saw us play them in a reserve game in front of 8500 at Burnden.

As a teen angst ridden know-nothing  I remember venting my spleen about how I was gonna miss smashing the hated red filth etc on and off the pitch and getting so pissed off with me dad for the ambivalence/nonchalance he had about Man U .

Part of it was that he didnt want me associated with the emotion of hate and part of it was that he really didnt care about any opposition, they were just another team to be beaten.  I used to cringe when hed come out with "good ball son" or "great tackle" about the opposition as I alway imagined it would lead to us getting filled in, on the Burnden terrace for being stray away fans in the home end of a 7000 crowd.

Nowadays , whilst I could never want them to win , they are not my most detestable team.

FWIW :

1, Wigan

2, Tranmere

3, Arsenal

4, Burnley

5, Derby

6, Blackburn

7, Anybody else

8, Bury

Biggish Dave will have heart failure at me putting Blackburn at 6.

Wouldn't say I 'like' them but the hatred I used to feel has waned somewhat I must admit. Yes, 100% the Mourinho factor. He's just fucking ace.

I do still like to see them lose though. Suspect they will win a Cup (or maybe two) this year. We shall see.

I am sure if we were playing them in a cup match or whatever, the old enmity would come rushing back  ;)

I can not believe my fucking eyes. Unbelievable! I'm off to join Smiffs and all the others that jumped the WW ship.

Blackburn has always been a good rivalry for us, we’ve pretty much been in the same division against each other,

We’ve had loads of memorable matches against them as well.

But they care more about the Burnley inbreds.

Wigan is probably our main derby match, where the feelings are almost mutual.

I think we are located perfect geographically, as we have so many derby matches.

https://thechriswhitingshow.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/2012-football-rivalry-census-results/

This website is interesting, suggests that we are joint 4th, for the most amount of rivals in English football.

Blackburn has always been a good rivalry for us, we’ve pretty much been in the same division against each other,

I think we are located perfect geographically, as we have so many derby matches.

https://thechriswhitingshow.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/2012-football-rivalry-census-results/

This website is interesting, suggests that we are joint 4th, for the most amount of rivals in English football.

How do Crawley town end up in the top 20 most hated?

• Site Supporter

haha, less than 2100 fans voted.

i like the results though, more hated than Millwall.

I'm glad we don't have a main rival that hates us just as much as we have them. Over the decades it's been Wolves, Stockport, Trannys, Wigan, Blackburn... etc. It keeps it fresh when it changes.

When my lad was just beginning too talk I taught him when asked "What are Man Utd?"  too reply "Shit"

His mate told me a tale when a new southern teacher came too their school , the conversation turned too football.

"Who do you support Sir?"

Manchester United"

under his breath  DMB

The teacher heard and said "That's shocking I've a good mind too phone your father"

His mate pipes up "Oh please do sir"

• Members

Someone wants a good shoeing for doing that to a nice GP200.

I'd matt black over that shite straight away before deciding on a proper theme. "The Trump Train' springs to mind. Plenty of bling with a 'Fake News' number plate  ;)

• Members

These responses confirm my suspicions. There are some whites who hate them less because they've stopped winning, that is just wrong. Shame on you.

Your monikers namesake gave me the best 90 minutes of my life when scoring twice at their midden.

Don't be fucking silly.

Edited by bolty58