Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burnden Disaster

Mounts Kipper

And....Bolton drew fans from a much wider hinterland in those days

Gordon Taylor was a Wanderer despite coming from Aston under Lyne, back then we were on a level playing field with the likes of Man U. The folk from Billinge who died most likely caught the Liverpool - Bolton train that went via St Helens the train links were so much better back then.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I wonder if Utd would be as big now, if they'd not had the plane crash?

The 2 key days in Utd's history; Munich air crash, start of the Prem

Deffo was the major impact in their fan base growing. It how they garnered their countrywide support.

I'm sure I read that the average crowd at Burnden dropped heavily (I've got 15k in my head but not sure)

What were these people thinking?

If that was what it took then it was a shit marketing policy. :blum:

Oh I don't know, it's worked well for them. In these days of wanting to make a few quid, I'm sure plenty of Football club owners would be more than happy to see a few players killed off it it ensured the club they owned became the biggest in the world, and increased turnover and profits

Oh I don't know, it's worked well for them. In these days of wanting to make a few quid, I'm sure plenty of Football club owners would be more than happy to see a few players killed off it it ensured the club they owned became the biggest in the world, and increased turnover and profits

Sullivan and Gold like this

Alex Ferguson made them what they are today.

The best manager this country has seen by a long stretch.

They were the best force your ever likely to see and played the best attacking football seen in the modern ere.

They were a complete Bunch of cunts with it too.

Make up what shit you want about air crashes or boundaries, from 92 onwards they're the biggest club in the world,

We could never dream of living with that.

Used to talk to my Dad about this in the years before he died and when his dementia had kicked in - his memories of the 40's/50's/6-'s were crystal clear though

On the playing side he reckoned that they would have become massive without the plane crash as the Busby Babes were an incredible team - Duncan Edwards was one of the best players he had ever seen and he reckoned that the team were better than the ones that Ferguson put together, and that they would have been massively succesful

On the business side Louis Edwards and others were putting in a lot of cash and redeveloping OT into a stadium that was beyond other clubs grounds

My Dad was a true gentleman and one of the nicest, kindest and mild-mannered people that you could ever met

However............you only needed to mention Louis Edwards or drive past OT to see his blood boil. He detested them. Absolutely fucking hated them - in fact the only time I ever heard him use the f word was about Edwards. He had my Dad over in a business deal that nearly cost him his job. One of the abiding memories I have of my Dad is him driving past OT and him pointing and saying "That is a bent club, built on crooked money, from a scumbag who should be in prison" and ranting on until we got back to Bolton

Based on what he told me I have no doubt that they would have been huge without Munich, due to the success that team would have had, the size of their stadium, etc. As big as they are now? Who knows. My guess is probably. If Louis Edwards hadn't become involved I think that possibly not. Maybe I'm tainted by his views on Edwards

• Site Supporter

I've no doubt that they gained a sympathy support initially but that's long passed and I'm sure they'd be as they are now with the passage of time.

But if most kids support the team their dad supports then anyone supporting ManU because of the plane crash had sons who now have their own sons so it's possible that we're now on third generation sympathetic supporters. Obviously their results since early 90s has cemented that support.

Alex Ferguson made them what they are today.

The best manager this country has seen by a long stretch.

They were the best force your ever likely to see and played the best attacking football seen in the modern ere.

They were a complete Bunch of cunts with it too.

Make up what shit you want about air crashes or boundaries, from 92 onwards they're the biggest club in the world,

We could never dream of living with that.

So, Premier League money, then?!

Used to talk to my Dad about this in the years before he died and when his dementia had kicked in - his memories of the 40's/50's/6-'s were crystal clear though

On the playing side he reckoned that they would have become massive without the plane crash as the Busby Babes were an incredible team - Duncan Edwards was one of the best players he had ever seen and he reckoned that the team were better than the ones that Ferguson put together, and that they would have been massively succesful

On the business side Louis Edwards and others were putting in a lot of cash and redeveloping OT into a stadium that was beyond other clubs grounds

My Dad was a true gentleman and one of the nicest, kindest and mild-mannered people that you could ever met

However............you only needed to mention Louis Edwards or drive past OT to see his blood boil. He detested them. Absolutely fucking hated them - in fact the only time I ever heard him use the f word was about Edwards. He had my Dad over in a business deal that nearly cost him his job. One of the abiding memories I have of my Dad is him driving past OT and him pointing and saying "That is a bent club, built on crooked money, from a scumbag who should be in prison" and ranting on until we got back to Bolton

Based on what he told me I have no doubt that they would have been huge without Munich, due to the success that team would have had, the size of their stadium, etc. As big as they are now? Who knows. My guess is probably. If Louis Edwards hadn't become involved I think that possibly not. Maybe I'm tainted by his views on Edwards

Aside of Munich and Prem money, all the rule changes from 1960 onwards have been in favour of the big clubs, and it continues. But, they have set the template on how to build a successful football business.

Good lad, your Dad!

Edited by boltondiver

• Site Supporter

But if most kids support the team their dad supports then anyone supporting ManU because of the plane crash had sons who now have their own sons so it's possible that we're now on third generation sympathetic supporters. Obviously their results since early 90s has cemented that support.

No doubt mick. I think that as more and more football is televised and available internationally, the clubs at the top end have been able to capitalise on the exposure.