Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stephen Hawking

Spider

• Site Supporter

Turned a knighthood down apparently, over lack of funding for science.

Fair dinkum.

I withdraw my slant at the Knighthoods committee who are doing a fine job giving peerages to ballroom fucking dancers.

Couldn’t give a shite about quantum physics isn’t it all a guessing game any how? Other than that what a brave fella and obviously much loved by his family. RIP.

Wow Quantum physics (also known as Quantum Mechanics or QM) holds the key to mankind's future - seriously, that's not me being simply over dramatic.

We understand little about it even after some of our best brains have been studying it for over a century.  Even Einstein famously admitted it he did not understand it when he said "God does not play dice".

There's been some good documentary's on this and I include a link to one by British Professor Jim Al-Khalili from the University of Surrey that he did for the BBC a couple of years back.

Although it runs for over an hour, just do yourself a favour a watch the first two minutes that sets the scene for what QM is about.

I find stuff like this truly fascinating and in time it will, when we get to understand it fully, change everyone's lifes in the future - we will all be long gone by then though!

Wow Quantum physics (also known as Quantum Mechanics or QM) holds the key to mankind's future - seriously, that's not me being simply over dramatic.

We understand little about it even after some of our best brains have been studying it for over a century. Even Einstein famously admitted it he did not understand it when he said "God does not play dice".

There's been some good documentary's on this and I include a link to one by British Professor Jim Al-Khalili from the University of Surrey that he did for the BBC a couple of years back.

Although it runs for over an hour, just do yourself a favour a watch the first two minutes that sets the scene for what QM is about.

I find stuff like this truly fascinating and in time it will, when we get to understand it fully, change everyone's lifes in the future - we will all be long gone by then though!

I’ll have a look but I’m thinking it’s just clever folk having an educated guess, getting some things right and other things wrong. A bit like yourself.???? Edited by Mounts Kipper

We understand little about it even after some of our best brains have been studying it for over a century. Even Einstein famously admitted it he did not understand it when he said "God does not play dice".

Yeah but, what does the ST demand?

• Site Supporter

Watched a really old programme on bbc2 last night about him. He observed university lectures on physics which were complete gobbledegook. Yet young adults were there revelling in it all. I have absolute respect for these clever people. I just wish most comprehensive schools weren't full of reverse snobbery, maybe there would be more who understood this stuff from less privileged backgrounds.