Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Silverstone

anewman

Me & Smiffs are off there this year.  It's a proper good weekend and even if you're not an F1 lover, you can't help but be impressed at the skill of flinging those cars round Copse corner.  The noise, atmosphere - it's ace.

Been a few times plus done the Belgium GP at Spa which is sommat else too!

• Site Supporter

I don't suppose you appreciate the sheer speed and skill of the drivers until you see it in the flesh.

Its like playing or watching low level football or cricket; then watching internationals. A million miles apart.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

• Site Supporter

Spot on!

It's pretty mind blowing when you see the sheer speed like you said, and how they control the cars - takes some doing does that.

Only have to watch top gear to see how difficult ordinary folk find driving fast (relatively) round a track.

I'd love to watch a grand prix though I don't know if I could be arsed with the traffic chaos getting there and back.

• Moderators

It's the best cars that win at this game though  intit.If you swapped the Force India drivers with the Ferrari drivers, the Ferrari car would still win.

Yet Hamilton consistently beats bottas

Vetter consistently beats Raikkonen

And you wouldn't be able to get the car off the grid

The car is very important but to suggest it's nowt to do with driver skill is completely wrong

Don't forget how importantdriverfeedback is in developing the cars

Fwiw, I'd like to see what Hamilton could do after two Yeats with red bull

It's the best cars that win at this game though intit.If you swapped the Force India drivers with the Ferrari drivers, the Ferrari car would still win.

Do you think manufacturers pick their drivers at random?

They put the best drivers in their best cars.

Only have to watch top gear to see how difficult ordinary folk find driving fast (relatively) round a track.

I'd love to watch a grand prix though I don't know if I could be arsed with the traffic chaos getting there and back.

Watched a thing with Richard Hammond trying to drive and F1 car. He couldn't get the damn thing more than 50 ft. It was possibly on top gear but I've not watched it for donkeys years

• Moderators

Do you think manufacturers pick their drivers at random?

They put the best drivers in their best cars.

I know little about F1, but Damon Hill went from a champion / top 3 driver to outside the top 10 when he signed for Arrows, so I agree mostly with Roger

• Members

Is it not the same in horse racing where the top jockeys are the top jockeys because they ride the best horses ?

I suppose the jockeys /drivers work their way up to getting the best horses / cars.

Carry on.

Of course it is. Madness to suggest otherwise. Put the serial crashers in Lewis Hamilton's car and guess what? Yep, they'd still crash.

Methinks Roger just enjoys a good wind up.

Is it not the same in horse racing where the top jockeys are the top jockeys because they ride the best horses ?

I suppose the jockeys /drivers work their way up to getting the best horses / cars.

Carry on.

You're right about that.The big difference between the sports though is that the  horses get the praise and adulation rather than the jockeys but in motor racing its the other way round! It's the cars that should be on the podium not the drivers!

• Members

You're right about that.The big difference between the sports though is that the  horses get the praise and adulation rather than the jockeys but in motor racing its the other way round! It's the cars that should be on the podium not the drivers!

I've never seen a horse or a car capable of receiving a trophy other than in cartoon world.

One lives, the other disney.